Bottom
Topic Subject:Guide to the Ox Cart
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
deano3985
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 04:31 PM EDT (US)         
A Guide to the Ox Cart

by deano3985

Well it's about time that someone got into making a guide about the one unit most people take for granted, the Norse Ox Cart. This guide will cover the Ox Cart, which I think is the single most important Norse unit in the game.

The Unit

Ox Cart (Norse Archaic age Economic unit)
Drop point with capability to move on any passable land terrain
Available directly at the start of the game to players who choose Norse (Odin/Thor/Loki).
Have no upgrades
Loki gets 50% Cheaper, 50% Faster, and 25% less HP

Stats (Stats of Loki's Ox Carts with a breakup of how the bonus affects the original unit ):
HP: 180 (135 Loki's Ox Cart)
Hack Damage: 0
Hack Armour: 30%
Pierce Armour: 45%
Crush Armour: 99%
Speed: 2.90 (4.35 Loki's Ox Carts (That's uber fast.))
Special Ability: Can move from resource to recource, unlike other civs drop points, and can be used for dropping of ALL 3 resources.

Some important points to note-

1. Ox Cart do take 1 pop slot.
2. Damage dealt to a Ox Cart does not affect how much of the resources are actually receive (ex: if Ox Cart has only 90% of it's HP left, that doesn't mean you will only get 90% of your resources at that Cart.)
3. Fishing Ships can not drop off at an Ox Cart.
4. Ox Caravans can not drop off at an Ox Cart.

Bonuses: Is Mobile

Cost: 50F 50W 1 Pop (Loki: 25F 25W 1 Pop)

If you thought Odin and Thor Ox Carts were good, then Loki's are just uber. With his Cheaper cost, and better speed of course, it becomes an excellent economic unit. Although the HP decrease is a bit of a set back, it really doesn't affect it unless you let your opponent raid you. However, Odin and Thor can do something that Loki can never do with Ox Carts, as I will show you in my tests.

Tests
Note: all human units have full classical upgrades (Medium All and Copper All)

1. TA/Ox Cart vs Hippikon - 1 Zeus Hippikon (165 HP 12 Hack damage 18% Hack Armour) 1 TA (71 HP 5 Hack damage 37% Hack Armor): By Microing the Ox Cart in front of the Hippikon, I was able to bring it down to 17 HP before both the Ox Cart and TA died. However, When I ran 1 TA vs 1 Hippikon, the Hippikon won with 113 HP left!!! So the Ox Cart accounts for allowing the TA to take off just under 100 more HP than with out it. That's massive

2. Group Test (10 Ox Carts + 15 Medium Throwing Axeman vs 15 Medium Hoplites + 10 Medium Toxotes)
This test just stupified me. It was a massacre. The Ox Carts provided a meat shield to draw the Toxote fire while the TA killed off the Hoplites. Once the Hoplites were dead the TA picked off the Toxotes one by one. In the end, 9 TA survived. I ran a similar test, except with 25 TA with no Ox Carts, and the TA lost with 6 Toxotes remaining. Try it yourself.

In Conclusion, an Ox Cart meat shield can amplify the effectiveness of the weak TA. As you've seen the adding in an Ox Cart is more beneficial than adding in a TA in it's place, and more Pop effective.

3. Counter Test (1 TA + 1 Ox Cart vs 1 Chieroballista)
TA/Ox Cart won. This is amazing. I wasn't expecting results like this but I'm sure that this piece of information will definitely help me vs those Oranos and Kronos players. The Ox Cart Meat shield strategy definitely owns all.

Suggested Usage

You really don't need any suggestions to say that this unit must be used for its economic reasons.

Combat wise-

vs Greeks- Use along with TA for countering Toxotes. Also very good vs Hoplites in conjunction with TA.

vs Norse- Excellent vs TA. One Ox Cart can draw the fire of a whole group of TA, which can turn the tide in your favor.

vs Egyptians- MUs/Ox Carts is great. As Manticore said in his Valkyrie post, only use Valks with Human back up. Well here is your back up. Send in the Ox Carts and flank the priests, the Valk will own them before the Priests get a chance to retarget.

vs Atlanteans- I can't really explain how effective these are vs Chieros and Turma. TA actually beat Chieros and Turma when a Ox Cart meat shield is added. It's just priceless.

Conclusion
The Ox Cart is very underestimated, and it's usefulness far exceeds the fact that it's a mobile economic unit. It is an invaluable combat unit on the field, providing cover from ranged units for the vulnerable TA. And at 1 pop 50F 50W, you just can't go wrong. All I can say is that I hope this guide will help encourage you to think twice about whether to kill Ox Carts or Villagers in a raid, it may comeback to haunt you later on when he has 20 Ox Carts surrounding his TA from your Cavalry and forcing you to intensively micro your ranged units because they keep attacking Ox Carts rather than TA.

Vote-

Raven
Fishing Ships
Dwarves
Ox Caravan
Archaic Ulfsark
Archaic Hersir

I hope you enjoyed my guide and I hope you found it to be informative.

Have A Nice Day!!!

AuthorReplies:
Darth Persia
Banned
posted 14 March 2004 04:42 PM EDT (US)     1 / 48       
HMMM. That's odd. I don't see a torrent of flaming from people. Oh well. Great guide!! I vote for the Dwarves. I myself was going to try my hand at Egyptian human unit guides
Fwiffo del desierto
Mortal
(id: Fwiffo)
posted 14 March 2004 04:50 PM EDT (US)     2 / 48       
damn, this is better than my halfassed guide to axemen, gj

Everyone got AIDS and shit

[This message has been edited by Fwiffo (edited 03-14-2004 @ 04:54 PM).]

Hope_
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 04:51 PM EDT (US)     3 / 48       
best guide ever

artemis chimera you should take note of this excellent work

ChimeraArtemis
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 04:55 PM EDT (US)     4 / 48       
Wow this guide is the BEST! *makes notes on ox carts"

I am so playing Norse again!

ESO user name - ChimeraArtemis
Favourite Major Gods: Isis, Hades, Gaia, Loki, Ra, Thor

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab, Petsuchos
And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades, Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War, Dryad, Automaton

Bigshiznick
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 05:03 PM EDT (US)     5 / 48       
SUPERLOL.

Its tourist season, get your rifle.
Foreign tourist meat is good.
Who cares what you do? We will all be dead in a few decades.
Dont run from your fears and sorrows.
Drown em in soda
iceemaker
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 05:03 PM EDT (US)     6 / 48       
Wow, I wonder why nobody's flaming deano for using a similar format <_< You can also use Ox Carts in hunting, if the animal is one that fights back, you can run the Ox Cart up to the animal, drawing it's attention, and allowing your villies to kill it.

-iceemaker
(>^.^)>-----Hello-----<(^.^< )
NS_Cymophane
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 05:04 PM EDT (US)     7 / 48       
Good job deano. I'll consider using them to boost my economy.

I also found ox carts good in combination with forest fire. Send in an army of ox carts and go to the wood cutters. Pin them up and cast forest fire. his vills will now be toasted. I have some old vanilla recordings that show the usefulness.

Member of NoFx
ESO: NoFx__Cymophane from now on
My website: www.cymophane.tk with Odin recordings and some more
NoFx site: www.nofx.clans.cc
White_Wizard
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 05:05 PM EDT (US)     8 / 48       
Interesting guide deano3985, I guess I vote for the Dwarves. Hope_ does your IQ exceed your shoe size? The last time I checked ChimeraArtemis created this format.

ESO name: WND_WiseWizard
Proud to be a Wanderer
Check out our clan at our AoM: TT home page.
iceemaker
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 05:10 PM EDT (US)     9 / 48       
Wasn't it ArtemisChimera??? Am I missing something?

-iceemaker
(>^.^)>-----Hello-----<(^.^< )
The_FighteR
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 05:12 PM EDT (US)     10 / 48       
Uhh white_wizard you arragont bastard I think your the one with the iq problemo...Hope is a very nice player and top ten in the world and he was merely suggesting that maybe artemis could do something other than mu's for a change...
deano3985
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 05:28 PM EDT (US)     11 / 48       
Actually I'm pretty positive that Hope_ was being sarcastic. But that's just a guess :P.
White_Wizard
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 05:35 PM EDT (US)     12 / 48       
Ok, Hope_ if that is all you meant I apologize. I should have not tried to attack you based on your suggestion. The_Fighter how I look at it you could perceive his reply in more than one way. I do apalogize for acting like I did, but I do not understand why being of the top ten players in the world has to due with anything related here, and how was I being arrogant?

ESO name: WND_WiseWizard
Proud to be a Wanderer
Check out our clan at our AoM: TT home page.
R4GN4R0K R00LZ
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 05:56 PM EDT (US)     13 / 48       
I vote dwarf. Wow, this is really amazing for something that just costs that small amount of food/wood. I vote dwarf. I want to see the dwarf mine at the same time as a greek villie/gatherer/laborer and see hwo much more gold he can gather in 30 seconds.
SilverOsirisAOM
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 06:15 PM EDT (US)     14 / 48       
Wow, this is a great guide!!!!! I vote for Ravens!!!!!!!

I told you I'd be back.
Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 14 March 2004 06:22 PM EDT (US)     15 / 48       
rofl, I won't close this because I literally cracked up when I read the tests vs the Hippikon

I vote Raven.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
MR2 Pilot
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 06:37 PM EDT (US)     16 / 48       
LMAO

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
deano3985
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 07:39 PM EDT (US)     17 / 48       
Shiva, what cracked me up was that 15 TA and 10 Ox Carts did better than 25 TA lol.
Flank
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 07:41 PM EDT (US)     18 / 48       
Excellent post deano. I knew that Ox Carts were useful but I did not realise that they were that good. I am sure that my next opponent will be quite surprised when my mass of ox carts hit his town.
kmac
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 08:07 PM EDT (US)     19 / 48       
I feel really stupid asking this question b/c i have been playing this game for a while and foruming for a while but have never actually found out what 'microing' is...so what is it?

http://nervenexus.com/eso/eso_stats.php?ESOName=kmacattack3&gametype=Supremacy&timeperiod=AllTime
CelticRaider
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 08:16 PM EDT (US)     20 / 48       
Deano,

You know you're my pal. I appreciate your talent for rts games and all the fun we have had smurfing people 2 vs 2, 1 vs 1, numerous team games. Your a great guy.

Now let me tell you this is the biggest waste of 3 minutes I have ever had the misfortune of spending. Your guide is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read in my entire life. Please refrain from further attempts at humor, as we all know its not your strong suit.

[This message has been edited by CelticRaider (edited 03-14-2004 @ 08:16 PM).]

deano3985
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 08:25 PM EDT (US)     21 / 48       

Quote:

Your guide is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read in my entire life.

Just the reaction I was looking for

jay7
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 08:27 PM EDT (US)     22 / 48       
lol insane guide, reallll funny

except... most players would take micro off of the oxcarts since they cant damage them.. ie the cheiro, hippikon, toxotes..

but its all good, maybe the opponent fell asleep with autoqueu on

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PW CLAN!!!!

PW_Scythe

Roffello
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 09:08 PM EDT (US)     23 / 48       
ROFL ROFL ROFL

I love the combat tests !

Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 14 March 2004 09:09 PM EDT (US)     24 / 48       

Quote:

Shiva, what cracked me up was that 15 TA and 10 Ox Carts did better than 25 TA lol.

lol..Imagine if someone actually used Ox carts in Mythic age to serve as a meatshield

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
Bel_Garion
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 09:13 PM EDT (US)     25 / 48       
OMG THATS HILARIUS!!!!!!!!! ROFLMAO
i vote for the raven

btw this was just as good as an ac or mk guide, and it was funny to boot!

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames