You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Technical Help » Problems with LAN gaming in AOM
Bottom
Topic Subject:Problems with LAN gaming in AOM
achillesgk
Mortal
posted 26 April 2011 07:59 PM EDT (US)         
Me and my friend have Gold editions of AOM and we sat down for some LAN gaming . Initially I was unable to see the game hosted by him, but was able to connect to the game using the direct IP he gave me, which was displayed on his screen.

Please note this is just direct LAN gaming - no 3rd party applications were used.

We were able to play the first game without a hitch and then started a new game (3 v 3) - 2 human players and 4 ai

---------------------------------------------------
Before I describe the problem any further - the comp specs are

Mine:

Intel core i5
windows 7 OS - Home premium
4 GB RAM
500GB HDD
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
PCICe LAN adapters

My buddy's:

Core i7
Windows Ultimate
1TB HDD
the rest remain the same

Both the laptop models are DELL

-------------------------------------------------------

While playing the new game - my video card froze and consequently the I had to reboot and the whole game was abandoned.

After rebooting when attempting to connect LAN - now I was able to see the hosted game displayed in the list ( Previously I wan't)

Once I chose the game and attempted to join it the following screen came up with the countdown - which seemed to go all the way to 0 and do nothing else - we tried this both ways i.e. me hosting it and him hosting it , the same result.

We were simply unable to connect and play - and we didn't understand what had changed ?

we also tried switching off all possible firewalls anti viruses etc - it din't remedy the problem

can a display crash affect the game?
we even tried connecting with direct IP nothing seems to work

Can someone please provide any way to fix this problem.

Thank you

- achillesgk
AuthorReplies:
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 26 April 2011 10:48 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
You did try also to reboot the computer of your friend, did you?

Other than that, I would disable the Windows Firewall as well as any antivirus/internet security software that any of you may have installed.

Please tell us the IPs that you are using for your LAN, including subnet mask. How are your laptops connected to each other: through a router, through a switch or simply by means of a crossover cable?

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
achillesgk
Mortal
posted 27 April 2011 06:13 AM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
We did try rebooting my friends PC too.

The computers are connected using a crossover cable.

The IP's we use are

Mine - 192.168.0.10
friend's - 192.168.0.20

the subnet mask for both PC's

It worked properly the first time around - It was only after the whole reboot thing it started acting weird.
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 02 May 2011 04:58 AM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
Your network configuration looks nice. Check/disable Windows firewalls and any internet security software you may have installed on either of these PCs.

To answer your other question, a video crash cannot damage your game. However, hard-rebooting your PC because you no longer see anything can. You could have tried to press the power button of your PC. This normally causes Windows to do a regular shutdown no matter what. However, the video crash may also have caused your Windows to crash, so perhaps write-cached data has not been written back to the hard disk, resulting in inconsistent data on your drive. This can damage your game, or even your whole Windows (including its networking functionality).

Crashes rarely have such consequences, but occasionally they do. What you can try is:

• Run "chkdsk /F C:" in a command line window (you need to have administrator rights for this).
  • Reinstall your network driver (get a current driver from the manufacturer of your network chip).
  • Uninstall AoM, then manually delete all remnants, then reinstall.

• ephestion
    Mortal
    posted 07 May 2011 06:08 AM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
    It is a popular misconception that turning off Windows firewall opens up the required ports. But it does not! You need to manually add the ports 2300-2400 UDP and TCP and 6073 UDP to start with. Then google portforward.com and find the rest of the ports to open. At first just open them in the firewall, not by port-forwarding.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
    "When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde
    "I don't think I'm smarter than you because you believe in God. I think I'm smarter than you because you're absolutely nuts. -Stormraider responding to me."
    DeathAndPain
    Mortal
    posted 09 May 2011 09:09 AM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
    This is nonsense. Ports need to be opened because they are blocked by the firewall. If the firewall is disabled, nothing is being blocked, hence there is no need to open any ports.

A different matter are NAT routers (practically all routers that we are using at home are NAT routers). Of course opening the Windows firewall on your PC will not do when the router does not forward the relevant ports, either because of its own router firewall, or because of NAT. This does not apply in this case though, because the two PCs are directly connected using a crossover cable, so there is no router in-between.

Trust me on that one, I am a professional network administrator.

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames