Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Some questions
Bottom
Topic Subject:Some questions
Someone_9999
Inactive
posted 23 February 2019 12:16 PM EDT (US)         
_

[This message has been edited by Someone_9999 (edited 04-01-2019 @ 04:41 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
nottud
Mortal
posted 23 February 2019 04:05 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
(1)You can't change it unless you modded the image but then would affect all scenarios - only Random Maps change it.
(2)No way to change it that I know of but again can be modded
(3)Weird - that generally works for me. What if you try Player Computer but the condition set to not? Otherwise I just generally accept the map hoster would notice the error and rehost as I have never bothered putting such checks in any of my maps.
(4)No way that I know of

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 02-23-2019 @ 04:06 PM).]

Someone_9999
Inactive
posted 23 February 2019 06:28 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
_

Yeebaagooon
EXCO Emeritus
posted 23 February 2019 07:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
If you go to scenario data in the editor it has a dropdown list for each player which is 'human, CPU, unavailable' - so that may explain why the trigger isn't working for you offline.

For the scenario picture, it is sadly unchangeable. Custom RMS maps can change it though through a .xml file but this doesn't translate into the scenarios. Sure nottud will have tried to manually put it in the .scx as well.

For a singleplayer scenario it's possible with modding but my understanding is it would have to be a custom campaign and then use a modded map overlay. Hard work but possible.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"I saw the picture and became immediately worried about Yeeb seducing and buying out Zen" - Shanks13
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto 5.0|Multiplayer: Minigames X 4.7|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
Someone_9999
Inactive
posted 24 February 2019 09:12 AM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
_

TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 24 February 2019 09:27 AM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
I believe the player human trigger activates properly once you hit multiplayer. I use it in one of my scenarios. I will double check later.

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
Someone_9999
Inactive
posted 24 February 2019 05:53 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18       
_

[This message has been edited by Someone_9999 (edited 04-01-2019 @ 04:42 PM).]

nottud
Mortal
posted 26 February 2019 07:23 AM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
Ah yes I forgot about the player human thing - yes you have to assign CPU in singleplayer to make the game treat as not being human. I forgot about that.
Someone_9999
Inactive
posted 26 February 2019 12:25 PM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
_

scragins
Heretic of December
posted 26 February 2019 11:56 PM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
It is possible to make edited version of the map unplayable. However it can be removed by anyone but should stop most nood edits. Here is a guide.

Essentially you use the unit is dead condition on a unit that decays (such as an Egyptian mercenary). You then use effects that make the game unplayable and send a message to the players notifying players not to edit the map. Before you save the map place the unit that decays, target it with the unit dead condition and save the game. When the game is opened in the editor the unit will die. This will lead to the condition being met as soon as the game starts. You will need to disable the trigger after a small delay of in game time otherwise the unit will die in game and trigger the anti edit system.
Someone_9999
Inactive
posted 27 February 2019 04:34 AM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
_

scragins
Heretic of December
posted 27 February 2019 09:06 AM EDT (US)     11 / 18       
What effects are you using?
Someone_9999
Inactive
posted 27 February 2019 11:38 AM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
_

scragins
Heretic of December
posted 01 March 2019 10:28 PM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
There are some ways to make the trigger harder to find. Such as changing names of the trigger, conditions and effects. If you really get into it you can create custom triggers so that even when a players looks at the parameters they appear like another trigger.

Iím not sure if it works in EE but there was a tool made that could combine all triggers into one. This would make it so triggers can not be edited. I think it did occasionally break a map.

The change units in area effect should easily change the Titan.

Iím not familiar with blocking and unblocking sounds but I think there is an effect that will block or unblock all (ambient?) sounds.
scragins
Heretic of December
posted 01 March 2019 11:07 PM EDT (US)     14 / 18       
In regard to protecting your map. I would not be particularly worried. Most people that play the game donít understand much about triggers or know how to protect a map. If they donít know either of those things they will struggle to edit the map.
Lewonas
Mortal
posted 02 March 2019 07:06 PM EDT (US)     15 / 18       
You can also add a XS User Code effect as the last effect of your last trigger with the following code:

xsDisableSelf();}} /*

This prevents people from creating new triggers in your scenario, but they could still edit any of the existing triggers. But there is a way to make it challenging for people to edit the triggers as well. It is possible to wrap all the existing triggers into one giant trigger. This giant trigger would not be editable and if you also included the code mentioned above in your last trigger, then people would not be able to edit nor create new triggers (unless they know the tricks). And if you also include the bird variation of the anti-edit trick that scragins suggested, then people would not be able to edit the map either unless they pause the editor immediately after the scenario has loaded in the editor.

But honestly, I would advise against implementing any of this. If people want to edit your scenario to make it more appealing to them, let them. This only proves that you've done a great job creating the scenario if others are putting in the effort to customize the scenario to their liking. They are also likely the ones that will be replaying your scenario more often than other people will since they put in the extra effort. Longevity and replayability of my scenario is what I would like to achieve as a scenario creator.

Project Clear Fountain (also known as GLADIATOR which is what it was renamed to after many edit iterations) is one of the best examples in AoM history where people who edited the scenario greatly increased the scenario's popularity. The scenario was known for its intense difficulty. Even though a challenge is fun, the scenario was so incredibly unforgiving where one player's mistake could screw everything up resulting in an imminent defeat for all the players which was incredibly frustrating. So some people took it upon themselves to edit the scenario and make the scenario slightly more forgiving, giving the players room to make a few mistakes and still be able to beat the scenario (less frustration, more fun). This is when the scenario became incredibly popular and many more edited variations popped up, including extra features such as boss fights and different type of enemies, and absurdly difficult variations for the hardcore fans. All of this is what made the scenario one of my all-time favourites.

TLDR: Having people edit your scenario is not necessarily a bad thing. Honestly, it has far more positive than negative things going for it in my opinion.

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]

[This message has been edited by Lewonas (edited 03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM).]

scragins
Heretic of December
posted 02 March 2019 09:29 PM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
I agree with Lewonas. One of the best experiences as a scenario editor is to see a stranger host one of your scenarios. I have only had this happen with my FWG map and it was a version edited by someone else. People generally edit maps to make them more enjoyable for themselves most of the time this is more enjoyable for others as well.
TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 02 March 2019 11:26 PM EDT (US)     17 / 18       
Same. Maybe back then when there was a ton of people playing it might have mattered more. Any kind of activity at this point is better than none.

@Someone_9999
The exact name of the trigger condition I use is "PLAYER Human". I have the NOT box selected, and in the trigger is the Player option, and the YesNo button that I have set to ON. This successfully kicks out comps (using the effect that I have) and activates once in multiplayer.

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 03-05-2019 @ 08:48 PM).]

Someone_9999
Inactive
posted 05 March 2019 09:05 AM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
_

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames