Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Please Help
Bottom
Topic Subject:Please Help
damaskditager
Mortal
posted 07 March 2019 09:37 AM EDT (US)         
Hello everyone, I've seen this trigger effect in several scenarios and I think it's very useful, you can add there LVL/XP/Kill texts or anything you want. This text is permanent, effect looks like "FakeCounterSetText multiple time".

Does anybody have that effect's code?

[This message has been edited by damaskditager (edited 03-07-2019 @ 10:48 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Izalith
Mortal
(id: Lilitu)
posted 08 March 2019 07:28 AM EDT (US)     1 / 14       
Do u have a map which uses this? I could look into it.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Steam: Order of Azarath
Twitch: twitch.tv/orderofazarath
Discord: Azarath @ https://discord.gg/3ENKJeb
damaskditager
Mortal
posted 08 March 2019 07:35 AM EDT (US)     2 / 14       
Izalith
Mortal
posted 08 March 2019 04:22 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14       
How I looked into it, in case you wonder:
-> Start the Scenario
-> End the Game
-> Find the correct trigtemp.xs (for me in C:\Users\X\Documents\My Games\Age of Mythology\Scenario) and read through the trigger code as translated by the game. It always generates the code of the last scenario you started.

Okay, it looks like he is using trCounterAddTime. He probably uses multiple "Timers" to achieve this.

In code it looks like this:

if(trCurrentPlayer() == mp){trCounterAddTime("ammo"+mp, 0, 0, "<icon=(20)(icons/archer n throwing axeman icon 64)> "+1*trQuestVarGet("axemag"+mp)+"/"+1*trQuestVarGet("axe"+mp)+"", -1);}

The timer in the mythicFreak documentary looks like that: trCounterAddTime(string name, int start, int stop, string message, int eventID) Start a counter that may or may not fire an event.

So you have the individual "timer name", start at zero, end at zero, add your text as icon-Text & maybe whatever variables you need, and don't fire any event afterwards.

As we know from the game it can handle multiple timers well (like when multiple god powers are active) which is probably why it works so good.

The "trCurrentPlayer"-Condition at the beginning makes sure that only a specific player sees this specific message. Thus you can use this as UI to give the characters individual quests.

Now I wanna do triggers with this o____o

I'll prolly write some generic effect which can be used for variable quests & post it here.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

[This message has been edited by Izalith (edited 03-08-2019 @ 04:24 PM).]

DamianEnriquez
Mortal
posted 08 March 2019 04:50 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14       
for some reason i cant add u in Steam

Steam | Facebook | YouTube | Discord | GameRanger
Tower Defense new map

[This message has been edited by DamianEnriquez (edited 03-08-2019 @ 11:32 PM).]

Izalith
Mortal
posted 08 March 2019 04:58 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14       
I got it to work with a basic trigger:

[x]Active [x]Loop
Always
Counter:Add Timer 0 to 0 with some message

And then u add Timers per line you want.

The first non-empty message line is a bit closer to the border on the right, all the following have the same indent. A bit weird but okay.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Hammerhands
Mortal
posted 08 March 2019 08:20 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14       
I must be confused, because I thought that was a trigger in the game. It's not a custom trigger. I don't know how they got the icons, up there, but I've used that before.
damaskditager
Mortal
posted 08 March 2019 11:19 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14       
"DamianEnriquez" - Sorry but I blocked you, I hate trash talking.

"Izalith" - Thank you very much, so easy breezy. For some Uimain, this text appears in the middle just like that.

"Hammerhands" - You can add icons in any text using this code <icon=30(icons/improvement bacchanalia icon)>
DamianEnriquez
Mortal
posted 08 March 2019 11:31 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14       
really? i dont even remember doing that

Steam | Facebook | YouTube | Discord | GameRanger
Tower Defense new map
Izalith
Mortal
posted 09 March 2019 07:42 AM EDT (US)     9 / 14       
Do you have a custom UI and are the godpower timers also at this location?

I tried it in the old game and the first line was pretty much hugging the right side of the screen.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

damaskditager
Mortal
posted 09 March 2019 11:14 AM EDT (US)     10 / 14       
In this picture I'm using "drs_UI", yes it is. Same problem about first line, but I think its ok

[This message has been edited by damaskditager (edited 03-09-2019 @ 11:18 AM).]

Izalith
Mortal
posted 09 March 2019 11:52 AM EDT (US)     11 / 14       
I'm a bit worried about performance issues, but maybe for some always-timer which does print out text only it's fine.

What sort of information do you plan to put up there?

Now that we have some permanent piece of UI to work with I wanted to make a Quest-System for a scenario, but maybe just general so that it can be used for others too.

Basically I want it to be 4 Lines (not sure about the formatting/Icons yet):

[SomeIcon] Main Quest:
[SomeIcon] Find the Priest
[SomeIcon] Side Quest:
[SomeIcon] Gather Herbs (3/4)

Something like that with interchangeable quest text lines, working for multiple players which have different quests .. sounds easy enough.

Basically I need to put out a specific StringQuestVar and load up information into this string to update it.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

[This message has been edited by Izalith (edited 03-09-2019 @ 11:54 AM).]

damaskditager
Mortal
posted 09 March 2019 12:26 PM EDT (US)     12 / 14       
I used to make single player RPG scenario and I wanted permanent text which shows how many kills I have, my XP and my LVL and icons. I used FakeCounterSetText effect for that, so one line wasn't enough. I'm not making any scenario right now but I was wondering how could it be possible to add more lines and I'm glad I know it now. A lot of things can be added there: maybe quests or as you said - quest items: Herbs Gathered (3/4), Quests Completed 3/100, Days Passed, Relics Collected and a looooooot of things depending on our creativity :P. I love only Single Player RPG scenarios and I have never worked on Multiple. Once I also made Clock Timer with FakeCounterSetText effect, hell I needed it? IDK

Have you seen "Brave Sword" scenario? There if you want to check your items, you have to press hotkey which shows a lot of text(Send chat Qv check, Send chat Qv check, Send chat Qv check) for a little time and its very boring to click on HK again and again. I think its better to be able to see your "inventory" or whatever its called, all the time.

You can also make hotkey effect, which switches between "counter add texts". Max text line is 5 I guess.

sry for my bad English

[This message has been edited by damaskditager (edited 03-09-2019 @ 02:16 PM).]

Lewonas
Mortal
posted 10 March 2019 08:29 AM EDT (US)     13 / 14       
You could overcome the counter add text limit with a little paging mechanism for the counters. For instance, you could map the left and right arrow keys (or any other key for that matter) to show the next/previous 5 counter texts. So it's basically like flipping pages in a quest log book. Would be a neat little thing to trigger.

EDIT:
You can also make hotkey effect, which switches between "counter add texts".
Oh my bad, you already suggested that.

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]

[This message has been edited by Lewonas (edited 03-10-2019 @ 08:32 AM).]

Someone_9999
Inactive
posted 10 March 2019 10:18 AM EDT (US)     14 / 14       
_

[This message has been edited by Someone_9999 (edited 04-01-2019 @ 04:37 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames