You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.17 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » I may get AOM soon, but...
Bottom
Topic Subject:I may get AOM soon, but...
Tonto_Simfish
Mortal
posted 22 December 2002 08:30 PM EDT (US)         
Alright, well, today, my parents took me to Best Buy to buy a Christmas present. I then wandered into the computer games section along with my parents, and then being the indecisive person I was, just stared at all of the titles. There, was AOM, as well as the COllector's edition. Eventually, my mother picked up the COllector's Edition and asked me if I wanted it, and I said perhaps, but she didn't want to waste any more time on the indecisive me, so I picked it up. However, I live in Redmond, Washington, and my mother has friends living there as well, so she decided to purchase AoM from a friend working for Microsoft. However, before this happens, I have a question...

The fact is, that my comptuer is now considered a lower end computer. The alpha version did not work very well on my computer, and the demo worked better, although it still wasn't at the optimal performance. WHat I am asking is that if the full version actually works better than the demo. It probably is, but if the demo works reasonably well for my computer, should the full version be even better?

"Einstein is a fool." - Schrodinger
"The way to chastity is not to struggle with incontinent thoughts but to avert the thoughts by some employment, or by reading, or by meditating on other things, or by conversation. " - Sir Isaac Newton
CC | AoPS | M-W | PF | SSP | OCW | IBS | KCLS | CB
"We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this something, at whatever cost, must be attained" - Marie Curie
"I was taught that the way of progress is neither swift nor easy" - Marie Curie
AuthorReplies:
StrongBowDX
Mortal
posted 22 December 2002 08:49 PM EDT (US)     1 / 17       
Need system specs to tell you performance.

But on low settings the game runs fine on my GeForce2 MX400, 386 SDRAM, and a 700MHz Athlon. Nothing fancy, but it runs fine when you turn all the pretty stuff off.

~sbdx

RM
Hades -> Ares -> Aphrodite -> Artemis
DM
Zeus -> Athena -> Apollo -> Hera
c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 22 December 2002 09:26 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17       
I live near Redmond.

Okay, continue.

Tonto_Simfish
Mortal
posted 22 December 2002 09:35 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17       
Ah, alright, I have 256 MB of RAM, a 697 mhz P3 processor, 40 GB of hard disk space, and *blushes* a 4 MB video card, which actually decently works for the AoM demo.

"The way to chastity is not to struggle with incontinent thoughts but to avert the thoughts by some employment, or by reading, or by meditating on other things, or by conversation. " - Sir Isaac Newton
"We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this something, at whatever cost, must be attained" - Marie Curie
WhoAskedU
Mortal
posted 22 December 2002 09:59 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17       
It should work, however... i would suggest getting another graphics card. The bare minimum you should have is 32 MB (which is rather cheap) then go for some more RAM...

At my signal unleash HELL.
God Bless America, Land of the Free!!!
•••winner of "2002 AoM Forum's Coolest Name Award"•••
•••••••Another Fabulous Post by WhoAskedU!!•••••••
People just complain about other people's Signatures because
they aren't smart enough to make their own.

[This message has been edited by WhoAskedU (edited 12-22-2002 @ 10:00 PM).]

StrongBowDX
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 00:14 AM EDT (US)     5 / 17       
Methinks AoM requires a 16mb GPU. (someone confirm this? I'm too lazy to find the AoM box)

You can find a POS card like mine for $20-30 that has 32mb of RAM and it'll run AoM fine. For a brand spanking new game, AoM does not require much. But then it is kinda ugly in some areas...

~sbdx

RM
Hades -> Ares -> Aphrodite -> Artemis
DM
Zeus -> Athena -> Apollo -> Hera
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 23 December 2002 00:21 AM EDT (US)     6 / 17       
get a GOOD 32mb card
a 16 runs well, but runs all in low options.

Colovion
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 00:23 AM EDT (US)     7 / 17       
new vid card and you'll be set - get something cheap but respectible. I can't say what because what's cheap to me may be expensive to you.

I used to run it on a geforce2mx and that was fine.

Men do not become tyrants in order to keep out the cold

- Aristotle -
aCCoUnT INvALiD
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 00:28 AM EDT (US)     8 / 17       
Today the cheapest video cards also have 64 MB ram....
Key484
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 05:41 AM EDT (US)     9 / 17       
you cant run it with 4 mb vid card.. i had a 667 celleron on my old comp but i had 318 RAM had geforce 2 mx and it ran ok

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - General Patton

ESO NAME: Raider_

MattTheGreat_II
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 08:32 AM EDT (US)     10 / 17       
simmiefish!

hey man sup really long time no see. I hope you get the game working ok so we can get some games in. You could join in the forum parties on saturday

Matt the Great II
My n00bish little underscore will kill you!
Member of the LTR Clan
Tonto_Simfish
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 10:11 AM EDT (US)     11 / 17       
The problem is, my video card is on the motherboard.

HP, and other big computer companies caring only about money, shall die.

But if the demo works, then AOM will probably work as well, maybe even better..

Quote:

simmiefish!
hey man sup really long time no see. I hope you get the game working ok so we can get some games in. You could join in the forum parties on saturday

Hi Matt. I don't know when I'll get AOM, but it may be within a few weeks. I'd love to play wiht you and show my super n00b skills. Btw, how many familiar forumers from AoKH are here? I don't see many familiar forumers from AOKH around here, like I originally expected..

dragons89
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 10:48 AM EDT (US)     12 / 17       
Me

Give me money, and I might feel generous enough to say something kind.
--My The Ultimate AOK Guide--
--My The Ultimate AOM Guide
GNon
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 11:11 AM EDT (US)     13 / 17       
Shmee (for a short time until AOMH showed up)
The Red Knight
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 12:09 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17       
You might remember me, Simfish. I wish Doug Thompson would come here and give us all the tips and counter strats that he did at aokH. Does he still god there?

The Red Knight

"Must. Have. Flyswatter" - Soccy
Little_Wing
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 01:40 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17       
Hiya Simfish, I'm here, posting on rare occasions. AoM is fun, well worth getting, if you can get it to run reasonably on your comp.

Little_Wing

Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea.
Ferrari_Warrior
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 03:09 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17       
the vid card being on the MB is not a problem. you can buy a PCI vid (or AGP if you have a slot)card and disable the MB card with a jumper.

I live in the seattle area....just head up to PC trades on Aurora and you can buy a used 32 meg card for like 10 bucks.

[This message has been edited by Ferrari_Warrior (edited 12-23-2002 @ 03:09 PM).]

Tonto_Simfish
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 10:53 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17       
Now I can see more familiar faces from AoKH.

Quote:

I wish Doug Thompson would come here and give us all the tips and counter strats that he did at aokH. Does he still god there?

Doug still posts at AoKH, and his posts are still always of high quality.

Quote:

the vid card being on the MB is not a problem. you can buy a PCI vid (or AGP if you have a slot)card and disable the MB card with a jumper.
I live in the seattle area....just head up to PC trades on Aurora and you can buy a used 32 meg card for like 10 bucks.

Hmm, how hard is the video card to install if you have a motherboard? (Btw, although my mother might have, I have no experience in installing cards on computers, so I'm wpondering if that is difficult or not). I know I'm being a bit cautious, but wasting money on a video card that didn't fit properly is the last thing I want to do. Of course I could return it, but then my parents will probably get angry at me for wasting their time on something that did not work.

[This message has been edited by Tonto_Simfish (edited 12-23-2002 @ 10:53 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames