You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » In AoM you have to attack first to win?
Bottom
Topic Subject:In AoM you have to attack first to win?
Orange County
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 10:04 AM EDT (US)         
Ive played the AI on hard and for the first time ive attacked the AI first, before it attacked me and I think, you obviosuly get the upper hand, but on the whole throughout the game, providing the players maintains a decent enough economy they will come out tops. But if the players attack both attack each other early you have a decent battle on your hand.

Specs: AMD64 3200+, 1GB RAM, Nvidia 6600GT, 400GB HD

Feel the power!

AuthorReplies:
INSANE Fanatic
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 10:55 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
jwj442
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 10:57 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
Nope. Just look at the Ra fast Heroic.
DarkFlame
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 11:43 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
Fast Heroics are AFAIK the only exception for this rule, but don't forget that you can make great comebacks with a nice counterattack, or even a small raid on their gold.

Ohmigod, fancy colour fading!
I blame these purple things.
GFWL: NilePenguin
hades27
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 12:09 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
rush against an Egyptian player, and your good as dead. Best way to to get yourself to heroic ASAP play like an Egyptian.

- BITE MY SHINY METAL ASS!!
ESO: IamHades27

Winner of the least favorite forumer AoMH's award 2002!!
Flank
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 12:17 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
believe me, you do not have to attack first to win.
Zasten
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 12:28 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
No, attacking first is not a guaranteed win. Sometimes I've misjudged my opponent, attacked to early and was left with no army and lost the game.

The key is to attack at the "right time" with the right sized army for the job.

Zasten
Norse since day one.

Colovion
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 02:33 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
usually if you're attacked first that means your enemy will be in offensive and be able to scout the gold mines around your base, make raids, and not have to worry about you attacking him. But if you've built up a decent army and fight off his initial attack then you can gain the upper hand. It all depends on how the first few battles go.

Men do not become tyrants in order to keep out the cold

- Aristotle -
optikal
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 03:08 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
On ESO, its not necessary that the person who attacks first wins. But playing with AI, its very difficult to win if you allow it to attack you first. Its not impossible to win without attacking first, but it really is too difficult.

***** Don't argue with idiots. They will only bring you down to their level; and then beat you with experience... *****

chaz
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 03:25 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Hi all,
It's a toughie but i think that if you gain the upper hand straight away (especially with the greeks) you can really knock an AI opponent of their feet, but i think this strategy might show it's flaws in one of those fast paced online games!
c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 23 December 2002 04:35 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
I usually never attack first, and I can win. Then again, I play DM, and I've only played 2 games since I've gotten AoM.

Triped
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 05:45 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
I don't see any problems with giving an advantage to the player who gets their act together first. If there's anything ten years of Warcraft/Starcraft, C&C/Red Alert/Dune, and AoK/AoM have taught me, it's that successfully declaring yourself as "on the offensive" (by forcing your opponent to play defensive) is the crux of RTS. Note: This does not mean that a villager rush is guaranteed to make you the offensive player ).

Any competitive game where the offensive player is not rewarded is a sad game indeed. Granted, it should not be so one-sided that player who is attacked first may as well quit then and there (which it isn't), but a successful RTS game model rewards quick thinking and a game plan, as well as keeping the game time down so people don't get bored (AoK had a few problems with this ).

DDT_DriverX
Mortal
posted 24 December 2002 01:30 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
When i play against the computer, if i'm playing against more than one opponent on hard, i am garrentteed to lose if i attack first, because i'm not organized enough to attack both of them early, and i can't take out one of them before the other gets an army together and attacks me. If i don't attack first though it is boringly easy.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames