You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Units/Gods/MUs that need a boost
Bottom
Topic Subject:Units/Gods/MUs that need a boost
GUNS_N_ROSES
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 05:04 PM EDT (US)         
One of the things I hate most in RTS games is when some units are never or really rarely used. In AOM even if there aren't any completely uselesss units there are some that are underused.

Units/Myth Units

Manticore: It is a unit that takes up 5 population and does really mediocre damage. It also has a bad attack animation.

Nemeal Lion: It costs Gold, has upgrade and does a very useless special attack that rarely helps in hand-to-hand battles. The upgraded one has lots of pierce armor but the gold cost and the useless vs archers special attack doesn't make it that good unit.

Sphinx: Too many upgrades and the result is not that great.

Hoplite: Only the Zeus ones are good as they can be used for anti-building along with your other army in classical and also catch up cavalry better because of their speed. They ARE strong for their cost but their anti-cavalry attack should be greater, especially in Classical.

Gods

Athena: She has a quite useful God Power that can also be used effeciently later but she has just 2 upgrades that affect only Holpites. Maybe they should affect more units? (Add Hypaspists or even Hippikons to make Hades have "some upgrades" to his Cavalry).

Aphrodite: I think she has the worst god power in the game and also very bad MU for the reasons mentioned above). His GP is really bad as it kills about 6-8 units at one time but that's it. Those units are not worth it even in Classical. I recommend the converted units to become some strong attacking Boars to fight for you (Almost like Ansectors but somewhat weaker).

Bast: Elcipse and Sphinx are not that good. I don't really get that with Eclipse. You never have mass MUs so when it is useful? Only good for blocking other GPs but still not enough.

Well what you think?

[This message has been edited by GUNS_N_ROSES (edited 12-23-2002 @ 05:06 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Celois
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 05:17 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
Hoplites are fine IMO.

Manticores, I agree but I think they are supposed to be weaker than other heroic. Look at all the advantages Apollo has: Underworld passage, Healing (Most important!), and SunRay (Best with hades). Maybe reduce their cost to 4 pop.

Nemean Lions: I agree they aren't too good. I think Roar of Orthus should increase roar attack and attack instead of armor but get more starting armor.

Sphinx: Actually they are pretty good especialy vs buildings. I think just lowering upgrade costs would do fine.

Athena: Actually I though the shield upgrade effected all infantry. Hermes already has cav upgrades, Ares has all upgrades for all units. I really don't have a problem with Athena especialy since Minotaurs are great for early defence.

Aphroditse: Actually the reason she is bad is because: Dionysus is better for Poisedon and Apollo is better for Hades. Curse is pretty good.. Its too late to give it to Zeus so I just suggest making Golden Apples and Nemean Lions(Roar of orthus) better.

Bast: I agree that Eclipse isn't the best. Doesn't it decrease enemy archer's range and attack? If not it definatly should. Also the wood cutting tech is nearly worthless unless your massing slings, even then its not too useful.

[This message has been edited by Celois (edited 12-23-2002 @ 05:19 PM).]

GoForGoldenJarls
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 05:18 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
I agree about Aphrodite. In addition, she should be availible to Zeus because Poseidon gets Dionysus, who helps his cavalry, which are his main focus, and Hades gets Apollo, who helps Hades' archers, which are his main focus. However, neither Apollo or Dionysus help Zeus infantry, his main focus. This would make Aphrodite chosen more often.

Manticores should take 3/4 pop slots.

I think Chimera also needs a boost because it is not very strong and its expensive.

Celois
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 05:29 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
I forgot to add mine:

-War Turtle: I actually them alot better than I did but they still lack soemthing.

-Phoenix: Make it so it doesn't hurt yourself.

-Jormund Elver: INCREASE THEIR MODEL SCALING! I have a really hard time finding my elvers.

Lkysammy
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 05:57 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
Ummm, Manticores ROCK!! THey are very cheap, range, and do good damage. So what if their anmation stinks? They are very good for taking out enemy archers. Plus, look how many arrows they shoot. And hoplites arent used as much in classic because, almost no non ranged infantry (except spears) are used in classical. because they cant raid and they cant catch cavalry to well.
ChandraguptaXII
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 06:39 PM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
Manticores are good, with 11 spikes and three each time they are ok. but they take up quite a lot of population space. and when you get them under Zeus you have the choice of either Apollo or Diyon. Obviously one would chose Diyon. because his MU are much more stronger. And plus his god power is ok. But if you choose Hades you might Be able to get Maticore. But most MU under Hades aren't that amazing.

you get
cyclops,
Chimera,
Colossus,
Manticore
Minotaur or
Nemian Lion.

I would go with Minotaur,Nemian Lion and Colossus.

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 07:01 PM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
Sphinxes are actually pretty badass units when you get their two upgrades. Unfortunatley...no one is ever going to GET both of those upgrades and sphinxes in a realistic game.

Eclipse can be used to block use of other god powers, something that is becoming more in use in games now. Greek players can't cast ceasefire, norse players can't cast flaming weapons, egyptian players can't cast ancestors. They have to sit and bear it.

Quote:

-War Turtle: I actually them alot better than I did but they still lack soemthing.

Turtles are pretty tough but their special is useless...since it usually misses anything but one ship, and they can't attack while they're doing it.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 12-23-2002 @ 07:03 PM).]

kamrantu
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 07:21 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
In defence of eclipse:

1) Eclipsed Scarab's can completely desimate an entire town. Done properly you could wipe out all your opponents towns fairly quickly.

2) It blocks other GP's from being casted for a minute. This can be really useful.

3) Eclipse benefits allied myth units as well. You don't have to mass MU's but whatever MU's you have or your ally has will benefit. Ever seen an eclipsed battle boar? Other norse or greek MU's benefiting from eclipse? God powers units also benefit from eclipse like walking woods, ancestors, serpents etc etc.

I think Hoplites are extremly powerful.
Nemean Lions and Sphinx are also pretty good in my opinion.
The Curse GP is much more effective if used earlier.

I agree that Manticore's just suck. The only thing they take out well are anti archers like Peltasts and Slingers and only if you mass them. They are just not worth the pop cost or the wood/favor cost.

INSANE Fanatic
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 11:39 PM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
1)Yah I think Manticores should cost 1-2 less pop.
2)Horus STINKS!!!!!!!!! Who here picks Horus? What good are his techs? None!!! Oh yes sure his Avenger is good and Tornado is fine. But I still find he stinks. Why would you choose Horus over Thoth with his uber-training speeds, uber-Elees, Pheonixs and better econ.? Or Osiris with the Son of Osiris, Mummies and uber-Camels(faster then a speeding Petsuchous Laser). Please enlighten me of practical reasons for playing as Horus in a real game. His techs should get a huge boost on the power of his techs.

That is all I can think of that has not been stated already.

GWKL
Banned
posted 24 December 2002 00:22 AM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE SPINXES? I think the're quite powerful. Just train 3-5 in the beginning and destroy some buildings. The thing that needs a boost is the serpent GP. I don't find it good at all.

[This message has been edited by GWKL (edited 12-24-2002 @ 00:24 AM).]

Kangaxx
Mortal
posted 24 December 2002 06:54 AM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
Plague of Serpents can be very handy to boost your defence, it's not so good to use it in offence though

Kangaxx The Jolly Lich, member of BTOOIC

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames