You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » GRRR... Rocs are so unbalanced!!!
Bottom
Topic Subject:GRRR... Rocs are so unbalanced!!!
SeanIRL
Mortal
posted 18 January 2003 06:07 PM EDT (US)         
They make walls almost useless! You can't guard ever single bit of land at the same time!

How do you counter rocs? _

AuthorReplies:
Celois
Mortal
posted 18 January 2003 06:17 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
Actually Rocs are only unbalanced against people who don't know how to counter them.

Keep constant pressure on them. If you let them stockpile enough resources to fill it with catapults, seige towers or Elephants then they are either a much better player or you need to learn to keep more pressure. If you keep constant pressure you should beable to stop them from using resources to make lots of seige as they will use it on units to fight.

Starve their resource operations. In doing so you will limit their own resource income and less units to spare.

Ranged Units. Taxman, Toxotes, Gastraphetes, Ballistas, Slingers, Chariot Archers, Classical Ranged greek hero, Priests, Pharoh, Trolls, Centaur, Mummy, Medusa, Wadjet, Petsucho, Fire Giants. All these counter Rocs pretty easily and make them move the roc away and if they move away without picking up their units, then slaught them.

Towers. IMO People underestimate towers. Get Crenalations, Max tower upgrade and Weapons upgrdate from Armory. They will have a 3xbonus vs flying units AND be more accurate. Some of these should slaughter Rocs.

Constant scouting. See them put up a seige workshop? let them build 1 or 2 then rush in somehow, kill the seige then kill the workshops. Cav units work well, ESPECIAL Hetarios.

Also try not to rely too much on walls. Use them to keep your opponents in

[This message has been edited by Celois (edited 01-18-2003 @ 06:30 PM).]

Crazyleggz
Mortal
posted 18 January 2003 10:20 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
I'm just curious how you fit 5 elephants into that little tent thingy... You'd think that at least a trunk would be sticking out
Celois
Mortal
posted 18 January 2003 11:06 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
Gameplay > Realism.

IMO it would suck badly if like units took their respecting pop in a transport like a elephant taking 5 slots rather than 1 as it would make heavy units less desireble and could lead to less usefulness of heavy units. Although seige should take 2slots but thats beside the point

Cazbr
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 07:39 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
siege should take 3...

All true stories end in death.
Crazyleggz
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 01:59 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
lol I dont really care I like to shoot down Rocs carrying 5 elephants... but you'd think the ground would shake a little. heh
EternalNo1
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 02:14 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       

Hey Guys Im sorta new to the whole AoM online thingy.. as i dont really know anybody who plays it online!

Im looking forward to meeting loads of cool people that can teach me some new Norse tactics! and judging by the forums u all know what your talking about! Anyway if anybody wants a friendly game to "show me how its done" jus add me to MSN..

Pheofire@hotmail.com

Im having abit of trouble getting online with AoM (it keeps telling me to update! when im already updated) but Direct IP matches are going good

SeanIRL
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 02:48 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
Eternal, I think I know what might be the problem.

well, maybe not but I had a problem when I tried to update.

I'd get the update, then it'd go to the desktop I think and a window would come up but I'd CLOSE it.

You see, it looks like one of those annoying windows about installing Flash or something so it's easy to miss.

About the tower upgrades, I never get the burning arrow thingy, maybe I should.... it's just I never make archers because I'm Norse, that doesn't affect TAs does it?

Is it worth it getting Trolls? They seem pretty crappy.... but I've never really used them...

Celois
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 03:18 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
Don't bother with Burning Arrows unless your Hades or have lots of boats. It only increases their attack vs buildings/ships. Just get the Watch tower upgrade, Crenalations and the Weapons upgrade from Armory. Heimdel allows you to make lots of towers for cheap also. Although the roc will probably try to land outside the towers and if tries to run over them, he'll get slaughtered so they shouldn't be much of a problem.

As for trolls, while they do take alot of space, they get a 3x bonus vs myth units which means they should do 39 damage/second to Rocs and heal themselves.

[This message has been edited by Celois (edited 01-19-2003 @ 03:18 PM).]

EternalNo1
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 04:22 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Hey its me again...

Does anybody fancy meeting up on MSN later on tonight and arranging a game with me, its boring playing on my own! anyways, add me to MSN if you want a game. i'll be online half the night!

cheers

Dwarven_Smithy
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 09:30 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Try fighting them in DM. They could be the most annoying in game unit. I think that they should be unable to carry siege. Only ranged(pierced) units can hurt the roc but only melee can damage the siege effectively.
xXLord EcKXx
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 10:34 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
Man *YOURE* unbalanced, go take your prozac

You provide food,water,and shelter for a dog,
he thinks "wow, this guy must be a god!".
You provide food,water,and shelter for a cat, he thinks "wow, I must be a god!".
KRool
Mortal
posted 20 January 2003 02:16 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
1. If Rocs are a problem for you, then understand why. Theymay have 350 HP, but they loose this HP SOO fast, you won't even notice them...it's like Norse RC or Ra FH, or what-do-i-know, just learn to adopt to it!!! This Rocs, when taken down, give you so much of a material-advantage in one kill, it's godly

2. Look at Hathor itself...the Petsuchos Ra may be a nice unit, but Mummys are better ranged MUs, and the Scorpion Man of Nephtys (i play Isis, so only that 2 gods, cannot speak about Sekhmet) clearly wins against the Petsuchos - you choose Hathor FOR the Rocs, not for the other stuff! And having to devote a god-choice towards it, which alternatively could make my priests and the SoO real MU-killers is muhc drawback i think...

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames