You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Is this Game ALT-TAB Friendly?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Is this Game ALT-TAB Friendly?
cgannon64
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 11:44 AM EDT (US)         
ALT-TAB works fine with some games, crashes others, and since I don't want to crash AoM...does Alt-Tab work with this game? Its always helpful to write up strats in NotePad while playing, but I don't want to crash/freeze AoM, so...does it work?
AuthorReplies:
DarkKnight_
Mortal
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 19 January 2003 11:58 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
Yes. But if you're playing multiplayer, you'll freeze up the game until you return to it.

DK
Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 12:14 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
ALT-Tab functionality is on overall mostly reliant on graphics card drivers. Some cards are better than others at it. If one would have problems with switching between the game and the desktop, it might work better to run the game in windowed mode. To thereby avoid the extra stress of having the graphics needing to switch from one mode to another. Performance and other factors in Windowed mode is also largely up to the graphics drivers to handle more or less well.
Matei
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 02:25 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
You won't freeze up a multiplayer game if you alt-tab. However AoM takes a lot of computer resources even when minimized so your Notepad, etc will be slower.

Try putting your game in window mode (under Options, choose Play in Window) if you want faster alt-tabs and less lag when changing windows. You can make it in a window almost the size of your screen so you still see things well and you'll be able to see and use notepad, messanger programs, etc at the same time.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
bigboss
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 03:21 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
The only problem I have had related to alt-tab is switching out of the game while watching a recorded game and leaving my computer long enough that the monitor goes into standby. The couple times I have done this, AoM wouldn't restore.
cgannon64
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 06:32 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
Thanks alot. Does the game auto-pause when you Alt-Tab (in SP) or do you have to do it manually?
Lost_1n_SpACe
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 08:12 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
you have to do it manually.

i alt+tabed when i was playing the comp without pausing, and i had lost my whole army and 75% of my vills and tcs .

♥♣"What happens when I do this?"-Lost_1n_SpACe's epitaph
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
ESO: ANewBite
╖Wbτ
I got my award for THE KINDEST FORUMER AT AOMH
Member of the Phantom Warriors Clan

reebokrebel
Mortal
posted 20 January 2003 06:11 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
When I alt-tab back to the game I find the hotspot for my pointer is approx 15 pixels from where it used to be, so to click on a button I have to click down and to the right of it.

Anyone else seen this and how to fix it?

selftitled
Mortal
posted 20 January 2003 10:48 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
reebok - I have the same problem but I have no idea how to fix it.

it reaks havoc on the mini-map

Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 20 January 2003 11:17 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13       

Quote:

When I alt-tab back to the game I find the hotspot for my pointer is approx 15 pixels from where it used to be, so to click on a button I have to click down and to the right of it

It's a graphical glitch that has to do with the changing of graphics mode. Try other drivers for your card and if that doesn't help, try running the game and the desktop at the same resolution/color mode. If that doesn't help either, then just avoid it. There's no game setting that could help, apart from running the game in windowed mode like said earlier.

tek2k3
Mortal
posted 20 January 2003 03:00 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
AoM used to alt-tab fine on my comp till i downloaded the new direct x 9, now when i alt-tab its like im clicking on the desktop but i still see the aom screen, really annoying
GUNS_N_ROSES
Mortal
posted 20 January 2003 03:43 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
I know many people having problems with Alt-tab with AOM. And that is not Graphic Card/Driver problem but only AOM's 3d engine problems. Pretty much everyone I have come acroos having the AMD+VIA+NVIDIA combo has the following problem regarding to ALT-TAB:

If you Alt-Tab at least once and return to the game, the game itself will for SURE crash to desktop "later" while you play normaly. This later may be 3 minutes or 1 hour. But for SURE it will crash to desktop if you have alt-tabed at least once by the game you started the game. This as it seems happens only in Multiplayer (It may happen in SP too, but I play offline really rarely and so do the people I know having the problem). This has also happened many times when you alt tab many times while watching a recorded game.

Everyone I know having the AMD+VIA+NVIDIA combo has that problem (around 10 people) and those that I have met having Intel don't have it. Of course this is not problem of AMD or VIA because in all other games there is no problems with alt-tab.

thegreathal
Mortal
posted 20 January 2003 07:45 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
I love alt/tab...it usually only crashes bad programs and betas. I got a GeForce 4 so I don't worry about graphics
Desert
Mortal
posted 20 January 2003 09:08 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
The mousepointer thing I read was a 98/ME problem, and I don't think it effects XP (but it might).

"You people are sick. IDIOTS, IDIOTS, IDIOTS."
-Sammy
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames