You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.25 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Why is aok selling more than aom??
Bottom
Topic Subject:Why is aok selling more than aom??
RiderOfEternity
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 05:31 PM EDT (US)         
I can't believe it!
"The top 20 best-selling games list has been released for March"
"17 MS Age Of Empires 2: Age of Kings - Microsoft $24
18 Mall Tycoon - Take 2 Interactive $20
19 MS Age Of Mythology - Microsoft $45
"

Does anyone have a clue at why this is?

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
AuthorReplies:
Matei
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 05:36 PM EDT (US)     1 / 25       
Probably because it's half the price. Simple Supply and Demand .

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
Nakul
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 05:39 PM EDT (US)     2 / 25       
Probably a few reasons:

-AOK runs on average computers that, by now, pretty much everyone has access to at home.

-AOK is based on a more associable and well-known topic (Middle Ages) while AOM is about pantheons and epics that not as many people know or are appealed to.

-Since its release in 1999 (a whopping four years ago, huge time in the gaming business) AOK has developed an unprecedented worldwide following. These fans are probably still convincing their friends to go out and buy AOK.

-As for buying AOK, it is much cheaper. Perhaps another factor in its outselling of AOM.

Ensemble truly ought to be commended on producing a game that, four years after is release in the previous century, is still near the top of the sales lists. As many have said before, AOK combined with its expansion pack, TC, produces one of those "timeless" games that, like Starcraft, simply never seem to lose thier appeal.

Artemis_Fowl
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 05:55 PM EDT (US)     3 / 25       
Nakul, I totally agree with you, Starcraft and Aok just never get boring.(Though I still play Starcraft and I dont still play AoK.)

Practice makes perfect,but nobody's perfect,so why practice?
"We strive to utilize a variety of techniques to accomplish a broad spectrum of results towards the bottom line."

signalfires
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 06:20 PM EDT (US)     4 / 25       
Lol, I prefered AoE to AoK.

Being serious, I don't think people are open-minded enough. They'll be like "ugh, mythology, how sad" and never give it a second's more thought. It's a great shame; let's hope The Titans get's AoM the public awareness and popularity it needs.

The Red Knight
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 06:38 PM EDT (US)     5 / 25       
I played Aok for a long time. It is still an awesome game. When I was at AokH people didn't like the Mythology and Godpower part of it and swore they would never leave Aok. I still love Aok, but Aom is awesome too.

The Red Knight

"Must. Have. Flyswatter" - Soccy
My Chirona
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 07:01 PM EDT (US)     6 / 25       
There are probably also people like me- that never played an Age series game before AOM.
You therefore like to try the previous games you missed out on cos you enjoying AOM so much- and the price makes it viable.
Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 07:33 PM EDT (US)     7 / 25       
Age of Empires 2 has a truly amazing sales record, even if the budget packaging doesn't mean quite as much revenue. It should become a rival to StarCraft, wich I haven't seen in the charts for years. Charts outside Korea that is.
Nakul
Mortal
posted 26 April 2003 10:08 AM EDT (US)     8 / 25       
Sadly, the topic choice for "RTS 3" was also not perfect- even though mythology maximized the use of the new 3D engine, it lost the appeal that just plain-old war, castles, seige, and bloodshed had in AOK.

Although I admit this may be a bit of a stretch, AOM has become a wannabe Warcraft.

alpha77
Mortal
posted 26 April 2003 12:03 PM EDT (US)     9 / 25       
Its one of the best games ever and its only $24... why not buy it!
The Red Knight
Mortal
posted 26 April 2003 03:18 PM EDT (US)     10 / 25       
The Medieval period is most definitely the best time period for any RTS. AoM is great, but it doesn't have the Medieval feeling with trebuchets, long castle sieges, 3 hour games battling for the center of the map, huge team games that lasted for insane amounts of time( I had a 4 hour game once)I love Aok.

The Red Knight

DaMijit
Mortal
(id: tobymac)
posted 26 April 2003 03:21 PM EDT (US)     11 / 25       
I had an 11 hour AoK game once...

It was like an 8 player FFA with moderate coputers when I was just gettign used to the game.

You're cooler than me.
Distraught Runner-up to waveslave's --Survivor AoMH--

V
JetSolo
Mortal
posted 26 April 2003 03:25 PM EDT (US)     12 / 25       
Cheaper
Lokipower
Mortal
posted 26 April 2003 06:07 PM EDT (US)     13 / 25       
I don't think AoK is such a great game since most games are so LONG and I dont like having to dedicate 90+mins of non-stop RTS to play just 1 game. I have to say I love AoM much more than I did AoK. I even liked AoE far better than AoK.
SavvyPlayer
Mortal
posted 26 April 2003 06:16 PM EDT (US)     14 / 25       
Don't you get aoe, ror, aok, and aok:tc in one box for $24 nowadays? That leaves the cost of each game at $6, roughly 88% cheaper.
prozzzak80
Mortal
posted 27 April 2003 01:29 PM EDT (US)     15 / 25       
yeah i think u can get all of them tgether now for like dirt cheap. but really i think aom just hasnt been around enough to get amazingly popular. i think they need commercials on tv to show some of there stunning gp's and cut sceens. i know i saw a commercial for the game once but never again i think that would really help out

Death Comes Quikly in Space, unless it comes very slowly - Time Magazine
The Red Knight
Mortal
posted 27 April 2003 02:01 PM EDT (US)     16 / 25       

Quote:

I had an 11 hour AoK game once...

WOW! That is a long game! I wouldn't play that long against the comp, humans, then I would.

*goes off thinking...11hours!!!*

The Red Knight

RiderOfEternity
Mortal
posted 27 April 2003 02:42 PM EDT (US)     17 / 25       
An 11 hour aok game! That's just unreal....

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
milkoway
Mortal
posted 27 April 2003 04:42 PM EDT (US)     18 / 25       
omg 11 hours? You must be starving after the game huh. lmao
The Fajita
Mortal
posted 27 April 2003 07:11 PM EDT (US)     19 / 25       
I think, because it was against comps, that he probably saved several times

::Member of the illustrious Flying Purple Hippo Clan::
ESO=FPH_Fajita
alpha77
Mortal
posted 27 April 2003 08:53 PM EDT (US)     20 / 25       
I had a 14 hour one once (in AoK) vs comps, of course I played it over the period of a month, they were all teamed and I was all alone, and we all had islands, it took me forever!
Flames
Mortal
posted 27 April 2003 08:57 PM EDT (US)     21 / 25       
o crap! O_o o_O O_O 0_0

Flames
1/5 Winner of AOMH's Funniest Forumer Award

"No! Back away! I'll give you anything you want! Money? Women?... Men?"- Stewie

Hrolf the Reborn
Mortal
posted 27 April 2003 09:10 PM EDT (US)     22 / 25       
DUDE where did u get ur gold from? lol that is defiantly is unreal lol i once played a 2hr and thought that was too long sheesh,

I was talkin to my brother the other day and brought up that they ought to do a remake of AOK and AOC but jus on one disc u no with better graphics not AOM graphics but not shabby ones at the same time and maybe and like one more civ or somtin maybe some more ships and stuff and that would sell hella good i tink! WHAT DO YAL THINK ABOUT THAT?

Strategist, Age fan, owner of AoM beta, and future game devolper.

[This message has been edited by Hrolf the Reborn (edited 04-27-2003 @ 09:14 PM).]

Nakul
Mortal
posted 27 April 2003 10:49 PM EDT (US)     23 / 25       
I think it'd work, but it wouldn't maximize the use of the beautiful 3-D engine... what a dilemma.
pezzazz
Mortal
posted 28 April 2003 00:54 AM EDT (US)     24 / 25       
yea id like a remake, or a patch of some sort would do. AoE was/is a great game but i would feel much more comfortable if it had all the AoK:TC micro managing. by that i mean wen u build storage pit villies auto work and your units all arrange in formation.
oh and wat annoyed me most in AoE was sending those cataphracts over with some war elephants ... only since they dont group like in AoK, battle would be over by the time they got there.

but hey... thats just my 2 cents

TNLthugg
Mortal
posted 28 April 2003 02:03 AM EDT (US)     25 / 25       
A patch like that for AOE would of been cool 4 or 5 years ago. But yea remake all the way

sens we are on how long we played a game for Iíll add to it. I played an 18 hours long game in Empire earth, it was a FFA with 5 computers and me. I started at 3:00 in the afternoon and quit at about 9 in the morning. I will never forget that... only breaks I had were bathroom breaks.

[This message has been edited by TNLthugg (edited 04-28-2003 @ 02:10 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames