You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.34 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Should The Resign Button Be Removed?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Should The Resign Button Be Removed?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
JetSolo
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 07:47 PM EDT (US)         
Every so often you beat an opponent and before you enjoy taking out his villies and tc - "He resigns".

I dont know about you, but it gets rather annoying when you take out a Loki Forward Base or a group of Sets animals - and then they just "Resign".

Should the resign button be removed?

Or maybe the enemy has to offer a surrender like the computer does. That way you can decide if your opponent should survive.

I believe there should be an option to disable the "Resign" button.

[This message has been edited by JetSolo (edited 04-25-2003 @ 07:48 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Celois
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 07:53 PM EDT (US)     1 / 34       
Yes and no. You still win anyways just not complete satisfaction. A surrender thing wouldn't be bad in replacement.

I think the victory conditions should be tightened IMO. I remember playing a game vs this one thor as hades, we destroyed each others bases but I had resources to rebuild and so he had about 5 valks (Thundering hooves and thurzais rune) and non of my units or heros could even catch. It was so annoying as I couldn't kill them and when I wound them, they just run off to heal. It would have been really considerate for him to resign instead of wasting at least 5-10minutes getting to mythic, omni and getting perseus. I think killing all myth units or heroes shouldn't be required to win.

"Truely, if there is an evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
"I'm going to live forever or die trying"
JetSolo
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 07:58 PM EDT (US)     2 / 34       

Quote:

complete satisfaction.

Thats what it's really about.

I guess in some circumstances it would be annoying to run around after 2 units.

Why not just claim all tc's?

Maybe it could be added as an option to remove the "resign" button.

YaleHadderity
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 08:10 PM EDT (US)     3 / 34       
There have been more than a few times where I was glad that the opponent surrendered. After a rather large battle I thought that he had gotten the better of me then all of a sudden my opponent resigns. I guess I would say I was happy that there was a resign button in that case.

The breakfast of champions is not a cereal, it's the enemy
Phat Fox
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 08:11 PM EDT (US)     4 / 34       
I see your point but then people will just hit the restart button and lag the game up.

AOM Titan Info.
Rating: 1650+
Civ. : #1 Thor #2 kronos #3 Odin
ESO : Blunt_69 aka CV_KiNGPiN
ToXiC TaNK
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 08:18 PM EDT (US)     5 / 34       
man there needs to be more victory conditions in DM. I once had completly wiped out units on land(mediterrain map) but he had ONE boat! I had no docks or boats of my own. I had NO VILLIES(I know call me a newb) and no resources! so Im sitting here with nothing to kill him and no way to. I let it sit for about an hour then I gave up and resigned

What I just said is a lie.
FatesDestiny
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 08:49 PM EDT (US)     6 / 34       
Sometimes... a lot of times... i think some people just quit way too easy.

I can name off a handful of times when my opponent had the upper-hand, but when just a little thing went wrong, they'd resign.

Though, i'll admit i'll laugh and sometimes actually be happy they'll do that, other times, i get rather preturbed.

I've only met a couple people that wouldn't actually stay until the bitter end, where they would actually wait they until they were killed off, rather than just resign. I give those people a pretty decent amount of respect, no matter their skill level.

I've met some people that'll crumble down as soon as you nail their gold-mining operation. (Early, mid, or late game.)
And, yes, as Jetsolo already mentioned, there are those that as soon as you take out a forward base, they just simply resign.

Jetsolo - I have you on my friends list. But i rarely see you online. When are you usually on? By the time i finish this post it'll be about 9:00 in my time zone.
I think it'd be interesting to play a game with you.
(Notice how i said with you, not against you. )

[This message has been edited by FatesDestiny (edited 04-25-2003 @ 08:53 PM).]

stumpy_006
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 08:51 PM EDT (US)     7 / 34       
what are you talking about Toxic? why didnt you build a dock and go and kill him?????? you had 0 of every resource?
Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 25 April 2003 09:27 PM EDT (US)     8 / 34       
He had no villies lol

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
Mokon
Mortal
posted 25 April 2003 09:29 PM EDT (US)     9 / 34       
no the resign button should defently be there
in higher rated thatey dont resign

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • simwiz2
    Mortal
    posted 25 April 2003 09:52 PM EDT (US)     10 / 34       
    If he had no villies and no food to make more then he really didn't deserve to win anyway.

Computer Specs: Pentium 4 2.53 GHz, 1024 MB PC800 RDRAM, NVidia GeForce 4 TI4600 128 MB, SoundBlaster Audigy Live. 18" LCD Flat Panel Display and 15" CRT Monitor, 4-speaker plus subwoofer surround sound.
    Connection: 650k/128k ADSL
    3DMark Score = 12672 Marks
    ESO = Ki11aB33, Elite_Longbowman
    Rating: 1722 (Ki11aB33)
    JetSolo
    Mortal
    posted 25 April 2003 09:55 PM EDT (US)     11 / 34       

Quote:

But i rarely see you online. When are you usually on? By the time i finish this post it'll be about 9:00 in my time zone.

Well, im on Pacific Time (USA, CA). I use various names and I havn't been using "JetSolo" in a very very long time. I'll eventually go on to play with some friends under that name. Though I rarely use it to play against people.

The_Avenger772
    Mortal
    posted 25 April 2003 09:59 PM EDT (US)     12 / 34       
    Jet, but the loser deserves to have some fun too. Maybe he is really, really bored of the game, or he just doesn't want to play anymore. In that case, isn't denying him resignation as bad as robbing the winning person of the satisfaction?
    JetSolo
    Mortal
    posted 25 April 2003 10:05 PM EDT (US)     13 / 34       
    No...

He should sacrifice all his villies and military units by sending them into my army!!

Then..and only then, can he lose.

[This message has been edited by JetSolo (edited 04-25-2003 @ 10:06 PM).]

Celois
    Mortal
    posted 25 April 2003 10:24 PM EDT (US)     14 / 34       
    Well even resign is taking away they can still,

-Delete every unit they have.
    -Unplug their internet
    -Ctrl+Alt+Del AoM
    etc.

"Truely, if there is an evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
    "I'm going to live forever or die trying"
    The Golden Arm
    Mortal
    posted 25 April 2003 10:37 PM EDT (US)     15 / 34       
    For once Jetsolo i agree with you.

People quit nowadays because of your score

What happened to the good old days of Aok, when you would have to give your opponent a good old thrasing before they kicked the bucket

ESO =AoA_Disarm_,pR150n_53X
    Other Nicks IamDisarm ,When_Apes_Attack ,Run_With_Scissors ,Testament ,The_Golden_Arm ,
    Have no way as way
    Have no limitations as limitations - Bruce Lee

GOTD_FireCobra
    Mortal
    posted 25 April 2003 11:00 PM EDT (US)     16 / 34       
    Jet, resign is there FOR A REASON! I have found very few of your suggestions that I agree with, and that is definitly not one of them.

(Sounds like he wants to spend an hour looking for someones hidden vills in a game... LOL!)

Artemis_Fowl
    Mortal
    posted 26 April 2003 00:25 AM EDT (US)     17 / 34       
    I say no, that would be a bad idea. For one, it would give people even MORE incentive to hide their villie/fishing ship in the corners of the map. For two, wouldn't you agree that it would be annoying if you have to get off the computer to eat or if the opponnent walls you off and stuff and keeps getting closer and you have to exit the whole program?

Practice makes perfect,but nobody's perfect,so why practice?
    "We strive to utilize a variety of techniques to accomplish a broad spectrum of results towards the bottom line."

simwiz2
    Mortal
    posted 26 April 2003 00:34 AM EDT (US)     18 / 34       
    Having a resign option is essential to keeping most games short and keeping the number of roachers to a minimum.

Computer Specs: Pentium 4 2.53 GHz, 1024 MB PC800 RDRAM, NVidia GeForce 4 TI4600 128 MB, SoundBlaster Audigy Live. 18" LCD Flat Panel Display and 15" CRT Monitor, 4-speaker plus subwoofer surround sound.
    Connection: 650k/128k ADSL
    3DMark Score = 12672 Marks
    ESO = Ki11aB33, Elite_Longbowman
    Rating: 1722 (Ki11aB33)
    BSR
    Mortal
    posted 26 April 2003 01:11 AM EDT (US)     19 / 34       
    I'm sorry some of your wins aren't as satisfying as you'd like, Jet, but obviously that's not a good enough reason to remove the Resign button.

-BSR

Mark_Aurel
    Mortal
    posted 26 April 2003 01:44 AM EDT (US)     20 / 34       
    This has to be one of the worst ideas I've heard in a while. Winning isn't satisfying enough - you want to rub it in as well? Maybe you'd like an auto-taunt option to go along with it, so you can just set it to go "11" every 10 seconds?

I know. I think I'll smurf you. At the start of the game, I say "gg, I win, you lose - you have no chance." And then I keep saying that a bit. I bet that would annoy you. For a while, I let you think you have a chance by playing lazy and bad on purpose. And then I beat you, and you keep on playing. And then I go "I win, you lose, resign, gg." And follow it up with "11 11 11 11." And then I call you a rook and a lamer that won't resign for a while, and keep insulting you a lot. I bet that would be frustrating.

[This message has been edited by Mark_Aurel (edited 04-26-2003 @ 01:45 AM).]

futurehermit
    Mortal
    posted 26 April 2003 02:31 AM EDT (US)     21 / 34       
    i played a game the other night and just sucked.

however, once the opponent was sure of victory i got the laugh taunt and a customized !@#@ u, u suck, u stupid !@#&*#(*&@(*&#^$(*&^#(*&$^(*&!%(@#&^%#$*&^%!@#)(*&#@$)(*&

every 2 seconds for the rest of the game.

the honorable fighter in me wanted to fight to the bitter end. the rage in me wanted to find that dude and wring his scrawny little neck.

so, i ended up figuring it wasn't worth it and just resigned.

i don't know what kind of satisfaction the dude got out of that, but ya know, whatever.

if i couldn't resign i'd have to put up with that bs til what, he was done "having his fun".

no jetsolo, i've thought about this one b4 too cuz often my newb opponents quit too early. i like the idea of offering a resignation but if the dude declines ur offer (only someone with no honor would do that) then there should be a time limit on the rest of the game... like 30 sec or a minute. then u can have one last thrust to get the satisfying win u wanted without having to rub their nose in it for so long they get angry, ya know?

fh

JetSolo
    Mortal
    posted 26 April 2003 02:58 AM EDT (US)     22 / 34       
    I'm not saying to "Remove" the resign button completely. Just for there to be an option to remove the "Resign" button while hosting a game.

As for running all over the map for 2 villies...well...

A. Claim all the settlements and win.
    B. Go mythic for Omni.
    C. Enjoy your victory and send your villies all over the map looking for the enemy.

I'm just saying that the enemy seems to give up whenever you attack there base with a greater army.

Everyone has fun destroying stuff.

....In games, when I know that I'm pretty much finished - I tell the opponent in chat.

"Do you want me to resign? Or do you want to have fun and kill my villies and buildings "

What do you think the opponent I play against says?

Yup, he chooses to finish me off.

I believe this game is about fun, and often times It should be given to players that beat you.

Psychic Ostrich
    Mortal
    posted 26 April 2003 07:16 AM EDT (US)     23 / 34       
    Maybe an option where the person who is losing can leave, but the winner can continue the game and finish the opponents units and buildings off?

I dunno. But in the game I just had, I had distroyed his main base, and was moving onto his smaller unfinished one, and then he resigned. I was fine with it, it had been a tough game and I didn't feel like wasting my time trashing buildings with my hordes of beaten and battered units when the outcome was clear.

I felt just as satisfied with my win.

toxic300
    Mortal
    posted 26 April 2003 09:31 AM EDT (US)     24 / 34       
    The resign button should stay. 1500 players like me need to use that button a lot . It's no fun having to continue to play the game when the outcome is clear.
    Phat Fox
    Mortal
    posted 26 April 2003 09:47 AM EDT (US)     25 / 34       
    You know what? I think you should be able to get omni, in Heroic.

AOM Titan Info.
    Rating: 1650+
    Civ. : #1 Thor #2 kronos #3 Odin
    ESO : Blunt_69 aka CV_KiNGPiN
    futurehermit
    Mortal
    posted 26 April 2003 11:39 AM EDT (US)     26 / 34       
    even if u could get omni in heroic, that'd be too much gold methinks...

nah, better off getting it in mythic. if u've got the clear victory in heroic, just claim all TCs.

it's good practice to do this anyway.

fh

Silva_bulet
    Mortal
    posted 26 April 2003 12:31 PM EDT (US)     27 / 34       
    Definatlty dont agree with this one...on both sides, if i get beat and there is no hope then i wanna go watch the rec figure out what i did wrong, fix it and then play another game. If i wanna try to remember if i made any noticable mistakes and learn to fix them, then play another with some compititon...not sit there and destroy some buildings that are usless becuase they have no resourses to make units with....and sometimes people just dont fill like playing, somthing comes up or what ever.
    Slogo
    Mortal
    posted 26 April 2003 12:57 PM EDT (US)     28 / 34       
    I think it's just more of a problem of people resigning too early.

I always stay until the very end unless it's a situation where he has 4 tc I have 1 and he's knocked out most of my buildings and rec gather operations. In a case like that I will resign if I'm getting angry at the outcome of the game (ie It was one stupid thing that set my downfall like playing Isis vs set and getting smacked around by his larger military and better slingers.

GOTD_FireCobra
    Mortal
    posted 27 April 2003 01:02 AM EDT (US)     29 / 34       
    Most of the team games I play are with clanmembers or friends, and we wouldn't even THINK of resining withougt telling the others on the team. I don't usualy resign that early either... I like to fight it out till I don't have much left. (I have come back from what looked like a sure loss and royaly smashed the opponents.)
    Hansson
    Mortal
    posted 27 April 2003 06:58 AM EDT (US)     30 / 34       
    That must have been the dumbest idea ever. It contends with Hitler's decision to invade Russia 1941.
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames