You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » ES - Why not make a campagin for people who want to learn how to play online?
Bottom
Topic Subject:ES - Why not make a campagin for people who want to learn how to play online?
Almojo
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 04:56 PM EDT (US)         
What if ES made a campagin for people who find it hard to play online, this would help new players learn how to play online and would feel that ES cares about its online comuinity.

The campagin would show new players (n00bs) how to advance fast and how to manage your economy, and even would give them ideas on how to come up with stratigies and stuff. This could easly made in the X-pac and would incress the numbers of people online bec they will find it easyer to play online.

AuthorReplies:
Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 05:40 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
Some kind of short tutorial specifically for random map games vs AI would be nice for beginners. Tutorials are a good idea in general as well.
goodbaby
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 06:10 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
I think the compaign is already pretty good and the random map AI is also very good.
Only problem is human being are much cleverer.
Liger86
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 06:24 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
I agree, but I don't understand how this can be possible? It would take lots of thinking. D'oh! But then again the question should this be an online tutorial where you play online or should it be a single player one. If single player then it is going to suck and all I tell you now. But over-all the general idia sounds pretty good, after all it was the AoK tutorial that got me started pretty good.

But I also think ES holds lots of secrets back! Like never in the AoM tutorial (in-game tutorial) they said that quantity is usually better over quallity, and lots of people get this wrong! And that is why they lose online. They spend too much time lookng at the scienery instead of playing (newbies anyway, and myself sometimes).

Sorry that I don't make any sense when I make a thread. I'm not so smart after all. But thanks for reading!

Cheesewiz
HG Alumnus
posted 05 June 2003 06:34 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
That's not a bad idea, I think it should be a simple tutorial that sets you up like it was a random map, then guides you through a game, slowly as you go up through the levels, the AI gets faster and better, maxing out as hard.

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
tbarak
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 10:22 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
It's an interesting question, but, the current state of home PC game AIs simply cannot replicate the variety, complexity and other human aspects that live opponents bring to the game.
GOTD_FireCobra
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 11:34 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
You know, way back in the beta, I had started on a trainer map for teaching the basics of playing AoM. This lovely idea died pretty fast when I found there were no triggers

Something like my idea, though a bit more up-to-date, would realy do wonders in helping some people play better.

Spy_Lord
Mortal
posted 06 June 2003 05:31 AM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
Great idea, i was thinking of something like this myself, as the first ten games i played online I lost (that was ages ago on my Dunnimanifestin name).

I think ES could implement 'goal-setting' scenarios. For example, the first one could be to advance to classical in under 6:00 mins with no idle tc time. If it was idle at any time, the guy would lose and would have to try again. The next step could be slightly more challenging: stockpiling 200 wood and 200 gold while advancing with no idle tc time under 6:00 mins (dunno if that's too hard . . .).

You could do the same thing with military, e.g. set a goal of making 40 hips within 10 mins, or stuff like that. I know things like this would have REALLY helped me out at first, cos playing the campaign on moderate and beating the comp with 15 vils and one stable and archery range was a strat that never works online .

Almojo
Mortal
posted 06 June 2003 07:53 AM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Spy_Lord - you got the idea.

Guys you are not listen (readin) and you are not getting what i am saying (most likly bec i dont say things 2 well).

I am thinkg of something like this:

* You would get tips on how to play online
- Building houses around your towers is a good idea bec...
- As Greeks up the first 7 on food and then teh rest on...
- Advancing in under 6 mins is a good idea with x amount of pop.
- Fishing is very important.....

* How to make and join online games.
* How to people your own skill
* Mini scenarios were like Spy_Lord said would make n00b advance fast with more pop and how to raid and stuff.

All this would only help the online comunity in growing bec more people would play it online and like it and possible become better. Remmeber guys we were all n00bs once, i remmeber back in aoc when i used to advance in like 14 mins with 18 villigers witch was very bad bec most people advanced with 24 villigers in 11:30 mins.

This is a good idea ES couls implement to make more people play online even if this is not the best idea its still a step forward.

Spy_Lord
Mortal
posted 06 June 2003 01:49 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
Yeah, if ES ever wants to have even half the number of ppl online playing as there are on, for example, Warcraft 3, its gotta make online play much easier to get into, without having ppl being beaten again and again. Remember, most ppl are casual gamers, if they can't win much, they won't have much fun, and they will just abandon the game.

Most popular online games have very little difference in single and multi player. However, AOM is so complex and tough for noobs that ES has gotta put something to make the transition to online play less harsh. If not full blown strategys like the ra fh, at least tactics and tips, like almojo said.

Now if only ES would notice this thread .

MaYzer
Mortal
posted 06 June 2003 07:34 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11       

Quote:

I think ES could implement 'goal-setting' scenarios. For example, the first one could be to advance to classical in under 6:00 mins with no idle tc time. If it was idle at any time, the guy would lose and would have to try again. The next step could be slightly more challenging: stockpiling 200 wood and 200 gold while advancing with no idle tc time under 6:00 mins (dunno if that's too hard . . .).

You could do the same thing with military, e.g. set a goal of making 40 hips within 10 mins, or stuff like that. I know things like this would have REALLY helped me out at first, cos playing the campaign on moderate and beating the comp with 15 vils and one stable and archery range was a strat that never works online .

Well,that's a good idea,but I still doubt it would help.See,the whole thing with online games is experience.And experience is gained only by watching recorded games and,mainly,playing online!Thus,a player can improve his game.And if he wants not to lose rating,then,it's better to play in advanced setup.No tutorial can replace online gaming,man is much different than AI.

"Atlantis never perished,it was just re-discovered in 1492..."
MiNdWaRp
Mortal
posted 06 June 2003 09:01 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
What if they just included a little cinematic with the "Learn to play" things? you know, like they have the "Norse Cinematic" and the "Egyptian Cinematic" in additon to the tutorial... Why not make one called "Using Multiplayer"?

Its very obvious that the multiplayer system as it is now is not nearly n00bed up enough.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames