You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Problems getting 5 pop units
Bottom
Topic Subject:Problems getting 5 pop units
Ashpool
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 05:18 PM EDT (US)         
Has anyone had the problem when you are popped out and have queued up units in your barracks where you just can't seem to get a siege unit or MU to get created (DM mostly). Currently what I have to do is stop barrack production until I get a siege or MU out then I can queue up barracks again. I would prefer it if I would get that siege unit without having to dequeue elsewhere.

From my understanding the way the unit generation works is when a pop slot becomes available then the game engine scans buildings looking for a unit that will fit the available pop. When it finds one that gets created and the game engine goes to the next building. If it finds a unit too large (siege units almost always are) then it goes to the next building. The siege and MUs are left queued forever (this happens mostly in DM I admit).

What I suggest is that when multiple buildings are queued with units the game engine starts at a building and will produce that unit once the pop becomes available for it. Upon being created then it goes to the next building and waits until it can create that unit and so on. Siege and MUs will be created and it should have minimal affect to normal units.

Sometimes I just hold a front line until my siege is produced and during those times I can't do anything without it.

AuthorReplies:
signalfires
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 05:24 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8       
Nice idea. And I'm always impressed by people who don't just play a game, but take time to think about how it works too, as you have done.
daunno
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 07:50 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8       
in DM your units should be well more than powerful enough to take out a couple hill forts and a TC??? siege or not
stumpy_006
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 07:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8       
no matter .. you still have siege ...
Ashpool
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 08:05 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8       
There are times when having that one siege unit or one Collosus pop out the tide of battle could change. I would just like a more balanced way of unit creation regardless whether or not my cavalry can take out a hillfort.

As an aside, I'm wondering if unit creation might be skewed towards villies/trade carts. If you queued up military and econ units while at pop, as your military dies perhaps you might get more economy units be created instead of military (on average) since econ units take up less pop space and thus have them be able to be created under more situations. It would be useful to know that so you don't accidentally shift too much pop to econ during DM.

Zeusfollower
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 08:30 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8       
yea, it's kinda annoying at times, and it happens in rm as much as in dm i think.

i agree with ur suggestion although i think its kinda hard to applied in a patch (hey, maybe for the x-pac )

Evil Dragon
Mortal
posted 06 June 2003 01:23 AM EDT (US)     6 / 8       
The best way to do it, although complicated, would be to have a default order the units come out, and a way to edit it on a broad or a specific level.

So you could tell it I want military over econ to be general. Or you could do "advanced" and do things like I want MU's, then seige, then cav, etc etc. I think that'd be great

The only problem with that depends on the situation you're in. Because if he has mass priests you defintely don't want a stream of MU's spewing forth...

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works,
which God prepared in advance for us to do. -Ephesians 2:10
Past member of the orginal "Off-Topic Trio"!
Proud owner of an AoM alpha VIP!
Drummers Rock!

FPH | AoM Fropco

[This message has been edited by Evil Dragon (edited 06-06-2003 @ 01:23 AM).]

Ashpool
Mortal
posted 06 June 2003 04:59 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8       
This is something ES should address because with the coming X-pac it will just get worse. Correct me if I'm wrong but they'll be a new option in a building for continuous production of a certain unit. If you turn that on then you'll rarely get a 5 pop unit.
PaleHorse
Mortal
posted 06 June 2003 02:14 PM EDT (US)     8 / 8       
I guess its just an unfortunate consequence of queuing. It would be hard to come up with a set of rules that would satisfy everyone.

We could do away with queuing. lol-just kidding.

How about a priority build command that can be applied only to one unit at a time? You know what I mean? That would do it nicely.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames