You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.202 replies, Off-Topic
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Bruce Shelley's religion comment
Bottom
Topic Subject:Bruce Shelley's religion comment
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
MurphGuitar
Mortal
(id: Sir William of Pork)
posted 22 August 2001 04:25 PM EDT (US)         
Quote:
Keep in mind that Christianity and the other active religions today are mythologies.

This was copied and pasted directly from Mr. Shelley's Gamespot UK interview. Is anyone else surprised by this? I'm an atheist, and I certainly agree with him, but I'm still surprised he said it. Could it have been a typo? Do you suppose he meant something different when he said "mythology" that what we typically consider it to mean?

Defy me at your peril

[This message has been edited by Sir William of Pork (edited 08-22-2001 @ 04:26 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 22 August 2001 04:34 PM EDT (US)     1 / 202       
I was suprised by that as well, though I am not atheist. I can't really comment further since well, I have no idea.
Gothic_Warrior
Mortal
posted 22 August 2001 04:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 202       
basically, christianity explains how we got here,etc. like mythologies did so i'm not suprised. I'm christian though.

We have the cheapest infantry!!
Proud Member of DMWC CLAN
Quote: " Hey, hey, hey I've just found my way. Are you stupid or ya just walk around astounded?" - Tantric
Inventor of the Sprush Skrush and Trush Flush, nice tongue twister,eh?
PsionicJupiter
Mortal
posted 22 August 2001 04:47 PM EDT (US)     3 / 202       
Mr. Shelley's line about Christianity "wowed" me too. Even after reading it over a couple times I really didn't understand what he was actually saying. Hmmmmmmm, probably didn't mean to put it like that...

Fas est et ab hoste doceri-

"It is proper to learn even from an enemy." - Ovid

oO Ecliptic_Khonsu Oo
Mortal
posted 22 August 2001 04:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 202       
Well I am not an athiest but from taking cultural anthropology in school I have learned that christianity is a "myth" no different than Greek or Egyptian or Norse except that Christianity is easier to believe in. Chritianity was created by the State when state society came about following sedentary living. Chrisianity put a "cop in your head" which meant that the State did not have to be there to tell you that you were doing something wrong. It made you feel guilty even before you attempted a crime. It made men "God-Fearing".

This is not intended to put down any religion or to cause conflict with people's beliefs.

Quote:

Opportunities Multiply as They are Seized - Sensei

theferret
A girl dammit!
posted 22 August 2001 06:59 PM EDT (US)     5 / 202       
Christianity is NOT a myth. If anything, It's a religion (duh) which makes it an Ideology (sp?).

Official OD Fantasy Football Champion
Official OD Rock-Paper-Scissors Champion
Official Champion of Gender-Confused Forumers Everywhere
"ferret has a well-known reputation for trickery and deception"
Scorpion_KIng
Mortal
posted 22 August 2001 08:28 PM EDT (US)     6 / 202       
wow im shocked he even said those words, I mean where do you get that christianaty is myth or has its own mythology.

I really hope hes sure of what he said, I meen mythology?
wow im as shocked as when a girl said that Ricky Martin was a hot Mexican... she was blonded of course (lol no offense)

Its not called mythology its called Testiments.
Surely we have Samson which in a way is like greeks Hercules except that he was 100% human. Goliath which was infact about eight feet not bigger than that.

but personally i didnt like that quote

Yep that will the day when pigs can fly rains malted chocolate and hell freezez like and popcycle
Burning creations
Honochio
Mortal
(id: CC Honochio)
posted 22 August 2001 09:22 PM EDT (US)     7 / 202       
I think what he basicly meant was :"what makes the Norse/Egyptian/Greek gods any less real than the christian god?"

Moc moc-a-moc

Honochio
Livin' it up in Sheffield, making websites and such.
GNon
Mortal
posted 22 August 2001 10:13 PM EDT (US)     8 / 202       
could you post the whole paragraph with that in?

Zone: GNon42 ESO: GNon
AOM MPT Tester VIP \\\\ !TEAL! ////
"Beware of the Shadows, they move when you're not looking."
" See. "
PsionicJupiter
Mortal
posted 22 August 2001 10:29 PM EDT (US)     9 / 202       
BS: Keep in mind that Christianity and the other active religions today are mythologies. I don't feel comfortable with any of the dead mythologies because they seem irrational and unscientific in their explanations of the physical world. That may help explain why they are gone. I think I would favour the Greek mythology, because it is at least very humanistic and believable from that standpoint.

Is it just me, or is the entire paragraph extremely awkward...I don't feel comfortable with any of the dead mythologies??? Mr. Shelley could have answered the question without so much ambiguity.

Dare
Mortal
posted 22 August 2001 10:53 PM EDT (US)     10 / 202       
Yes, Goliath was about 8-10 feet. Not 40 feet tall. He was just big and strong and the soldiers were afraid to face him in one on one combat.

Am I the only religious Jew in this forum?

I too am surprised that he said it was a mythology. Being Jewish myself, I would be inclined to agree (no offense anyone! please! remember we're different religions here!),
but it's not politically correct. Hmmm... Maybe the expansion should be "Christianity"! (j/k, PLEASE NO OFFENSE MEANT!)

Dare
HG Special Forces

Award I Give Out: Dare's Funny Sig Award

[This message has been edited by Dare (edited 08-22-2001 @ 10:55 PM).]

Enrique Orduno
Banned
posted 22 August 2001 11:36 PM EDT (US)     11 / 202       
Technically, yes.

The Greeks thought of their mythology as a religion, they had temples built for their gods as the christians have churches built for God/Jesus.

Their are many myths in christianity, they try to explain the creation of the world and humanity. There are angels, cherubs, seraphs, demons, hell...

All these things are myths.

I don't know why it's not politically correct. I don't think it's offensive.

Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 23 August 2001 03:34 AM EDT (US)     12 / 202       
Quote:
A one sentence definition of mythology?
'Mythology' is what we call someone else's religion.

[Joseph Campbell]

If you check Mythica, you'd find a section called "Judiac Mythology", which contains also Christian values here and there. It just shows that people can treat religions, or at some elements of the religion, as mythology.

I don't know if we can call a monotheistic religion "a Mythology", because a religion isn't only a collection of stories (there are also principles, etc), but it's sure the monotheistic religions were effected from the mythologies of the time, and many stories in the OT (I guess also in the New Testimony, I've never learned it) were effected from mythologies: for example, the story of Noah's ark, was probably another version of the many "flood myths" in the ancient middle east (like the Gilgamesh legends), and Job also has elements of a mythology story (God having an bet with Satan, etc.).

The Last Knight
Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect

[This message has been edited by Last_Knight (edited 08-23-2001 @ 03:35 AM).]

Cian McGuire
posted 23 August 2001 07:27 AM EDT (US)     13 / 202       
Quote:
I don't know if we can call a monotheistic religion "a Mythology",

Sure you can... Hinduism is merely the extention of the "One God, Many Aspects" that is the core of the Holy Trinity and I don't see why the simple fact that there is only one deity means that it cannot be a mythology anyways.

Quote:
because a religion isn't only a collection of stories (there are also principles, etc),

What do you think the purpose of so many of the mythological stories is? Take the story of Daedalus and Icarus, "heed the wisdom of your elders, for the hubris of youth may be your downfall." They served so many purposes for the ancient civilizations, from morality to science to religion to entertainment.

In vino veritas
apachethehun
Banned
posted 23 August 2001 09:37 AM EDT (US)     14 / 202       
DEAATH TO ALL ATHEISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so says apache the hun-he who unleashes the fire from heaven,hell and Atlantis

Cian McGuire
posted 23 August 2001 10:11 AM EDT (US)     15 / 202       
What a brilliant reposte from a scholar certainly well-versed in the arts of wit and grace.

In vino veritas
SoR_Anarchy
Mortal
posted 23 August 2001 03:07 PM EDT (US)     16 / 202       
For Bruce Shelly to say things like that about the biggest religion in the world is both stupid and offensive.

I am the state.

IV1066
Mortal
posted 23 August 2001 03:39 PM EDT (US)     17 / 202       
Quote:
For Bruce Shelly to say things like that about the biggest religion in the world is both stupid and offensive

Well, it would be, except he was right, and something is only offensive if you want to be offended. Besides, it was GSUK that asked that insipid question, I can't really think of a good response Shelley could've said. I think they meant to ask which mythology he found most intriguing, although if they did they phrased it horribly. But between this question and the one about Nietzsche they might just be really weird.

Cian McGuire
posted 23 August 2001 04:16 PM EDT (US)     18 / 202       
Quote:
For Bruce Shelly to say things like that about the biggest religion in the world is both stupid and offensive.

Size doesn't distort the fact that it falls under the definition of a mythology.

In vino veritas
oO Ecliptic_Khonsu Oo
Mortal
posted 23 August 2001 04:35 PM EDT (US)     19 / 202       
RED APPLE If you were to tell me that the apple is purple...That's your opinion. My opinion is that it is red.

For Mr. Shelley to refer to Chritianity as myth is his opinion. I agree, that's my opinion.
This doesn't mean that it is not real. "What you would like to believe does not change the truth" What is Truth?

Quote:

Minnie the mini midget
Mortal
posted 23 August 2001 05:25 PM EDT (US)     20 / 202       
(From dictionary.com)
myth: A body or collection of myths belonging to a people and addressing their origin, history, deities, ancestors, and heroes.

(a mythology is the study of or collection of myths)

Not being a Christian myself, nor raised one (I'm Jewish too, Dare ), I'm not sure if Christianity explains how anything was created? I'm assuming that's what he meant. Another meaning of mythology is "anything that doesn't seem it could happen in the everday world, and isn't easily provable". Isn't that mostly all religion, inculding Christianity? That's my two cents.

alLan Mandragoran
Mortal
posted 23 August 2001 05:48 PM EDT (US)     21 / 202       
i hate these fu c k ing threads!! all about how Christiantiy is fake and God is not real. i hate them, you should know better!!!!
alLan Mandragoran
Mortal
posted 23 August 2001 05:53 PM EDT (US)     22 / 202       
Noah was not fake! they have acholorgoinal proof that the flood happend, and they have found all most all of the places that are in the Bible. i cant belive you people, oh and they have traced all humans back to 2 ppl, Adam and Eve. belive what you want but im goin with the facts.
oO Ecliptic_Khonsu Oo
Mortal
posted 23 August 2001 06:13 PM EDT (US)     23 / 202       
EVOLUTION, EVOLUTION, EVOLUTION
LOL

Quote:

Dare
Mortal
posted 23 August 2001 06:16 PM EDT (US)     24 / 202       
Well I guess I'm not the only Jewish person here. There used to be a Jewish guy named Jerusalem in OD. He used to get in fights with a wannabe palestinian. Anyone know if he's still there?

Dare
HG Special Forces

Award I Give Out: Dare's Funny Sig Award
WhoAskedU
Mortal
posted 23 August 2001 06:18 PM EDT (US)     25 / 202       
Dang it guys Christianity is not Mythology! Every Historian Knows the Bible to be a history book! Not something like the Illyad (sp?)! Everything in the Bible is impossible to disprove, And Scientists Have proven all of the stories in the bible...

At my signal unleash HELL.
God Bless America, Land of the Free!!!
•••winner of "2002 AoM Forum's Coolest Name Award"•••
•••••••Another Fabulous Post by WhoAskedU!!•••••••
People just complain about other people's Signatures because
they aren't smart enough to make their own.

[This message has been edited by WhoAskedU (edited 08-23-2001 @ 06:21 PM).]

theferret
A girl dammit!
posted 23 August 2001 07:12 PM EDT (US)     26 / 202       
That makes Evolution and the Big Bang myths.

Fox_Mulder_
Mortal
posted 23 August 2001 07:17 PM EDT (US)     27 / 202       
Quoted from WhoAskedU:
Everything in the Bible is impossible to disprove.

The earth was disproved to be the center of the Universe by science

By the way, logic goes this way: if you make a claim about something, The Burden of Proof is on [/i]you[/i]. You can't say it's "the truth" and ask other people to "disprove" it. Heck, I can say that I have seen men from Mars. It's the truth, because you can't disprove it!! HA!!

"The truth is out there"
theferret
A girl dammit!
posted 23 August 2001 07:19 PM EDT (US)     28 / 202       
I do not exist.

Felix Morningstar
Mortal
posted 23 August 2001 07:35 PM EDT (US)     29 / 202       
Well it think this is a rather intriguing thread, don’t you? If you read this I’ll tell you know that I fit into the category of Christian. I’m LDS, but I’m not going to force things on other people. You shouldn’t just yell at someone and say this is true and yada yada yada because they won’t belive you and it would only start problems. Human being are stubborn as crap, I know I am. You tell me that you’ve seen men from mars I and I say who let you out of the asylum? I say Noah was true and Moses parted the Red Sea and you say the same thing back to me. Not only that but we try to defend our positions by insulting others and yelling at them for not being able to see the facts that are right in front of their face. Ex. You believe the Big Bang! How stupid do you have to be. The possibilities of that happening are the same as a tornado going through a junk yard and leaving a working 747 where the junk used to be. And it just goes on and on. But what in the world does that help? Answer NOTHING! I’ve said it before, you don’t try to push your morals on me and I won’t try to push mine on you. I’ve found that that works the best. You should try it.
PsionicJupiter
Mortal
posted 23 August 2001 09:14 PM EDT (US)     30 / 202       
Since when was the bible a text book? If youre looking for solid scientific facts, I advise you get a subscripion to Scientific American.It was meant to be unerring in facts dealing w/ salvation!

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames