You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Smurfing - how's this for a solution?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Smurfing - how's this for a solution?
Swyck
Mortal
posted 08 July 2003 08:15 PM EDT (US)         
Hmmm.... after reading some of the ideas in the thread:
"Smurfing -- Is it really a problem?"
http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=1&tn=14070&f=1,,0,20&st=40

here is a solution variation on what 1ArCHeR1 was suggesting.

1. Allow a small number of identities for each CD key, say 3-4.
  2. Each identity would have a rating, starting at 1600.
  3. Each identity could change the name it was using as many times as the user wanted (as long as the desired name was not already in use) BUT the rating of the identity would stay the same!

This allows multiple users to have their own identities and names for each CD. Its not unlimited, but the number could be higher. I do think keeping it low, say under 6. would be more effective for anti-smurfing. That is more then enough for any family use.

This allows changing of names for clan use. The player could join the clan at their real rating, which I think is proper. Why start at 1600 if you're actually 1800? Or they could use a different available identity if they wanted to start from scratch.

This allows changing of names for any reason.

The evil smurfs that like drubbing lowly rooks would soon run out of fresh identities, which is the point of all this They could easily get some more by buying a new CD, which ES would love, and which would be fine with me. They could just lose on purpose, but that takes work, and I don't think would be a real problem as it would ruin their pristine smurf ratings.

It would even allow for some slumming by those poor upper level players just looking for a game, but that would not be indefinite. Doesn't completely solve this, but I've always felt that if the smurfs were gone, there would be more high level games available for the pros.

A player could even keep their precious 2001 rating that they didn't want to endanger. They just couldn't keep a dozen of them.

A player could use a regular identitiy, and still be able to use one to practice new strats.

I like this solution. It appears to be simple, addresses all the issues I could think of, and may actually work.

That must mean I'm missing something here:/ What do you think?

AuthorReplies:
J_Bone
Mortal
posted 08 July 2003 08:18 PM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
Not that I think your ideas are bad or anything but they are nothing new. Take a look throught the forums and you'll see there are many posts along the same lines.
Having said that IMO your idea is probably the simplest and most effective way of dealing with the problem.
GOTD_FireCobra
Mortal
posted 08 July 2003 10:09 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
Or... Instead of having to buy a whole new CD, why not make it where they can buy more available identity slots?
Example: Someone uses up the 6 available identities that they can make. They want more. They go/link to a place that sells more "identity slots." (The ability to make 6 more names or something like that.) The price wouldn't have to be as high as the retail cost of AoM, but say around $10 US.

The upside to this: ES would get more money, resulting in them making more games in the future, and the players who got more name slots wouldn't have a whole bunch of extra CDs lying around.

Downside: There still would be smurfs, but not as many of them. (Unless they were practicaly made out of money.)

Rookierookie
Banned
posted 11 July 2003 07:54 AM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
My suggestion: Let people create as many accounts as hey like, but all the accounts will have rating equal to their highest one.
AlphaUriel
Mortal
posted 11 July 2003 08:28 AM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
Personally, I think we should just keep making posts about how they should limit accounts per cd key. I've only seen about 3 billion of them at this point.
futurehermit
Mortal
posted 11 July 2003 08:35 AM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
and they'll keep coming until es implements a solution and/or the players take on the responsibility to not smurf.

fh

Yooda
Mortal
posted 11 July 2003 09:37 AM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
I really don't understand why people are smurfing. If you want to completely destroy someone far under your skill level, just play against the PC sometimes.

- - - - -
"Personally, I think we should just keep making posts about how they should limit accounts per cd key. I've only seen about 3 billion of them at this point."
- - - - -
I like them better than the 'nerf Set!'-posts.

- - - - -
"Or... Instead of having to buy a whole new CD, why not make it where they can buy more available identity slots?"
- - - - -
Yeah that would be nice People who have the money for it will still be smurfing. I understand what you mean, but I think the number of available identity slots should be the same for everyone.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames