You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.22 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Campaign Length
Bottom
Topic Subject:Campaign Length
Finwe
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 10:07 AM EDT (US)         
What do you people think is a good number of scenarios for an "Age of" game campaign? I'm playing the Arkantos campaign right now and, though it's the best put together campaign I've ever played, I'm starting to get bored with it after scenario 8. I think 5 or 6 scenarios is my limit, but then my attention span is not the greatest.

[This message has been edited by Finwe (edited 07-09-2003 @ 02:06 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
AgeMyth
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 10:30 AM EDT (US)     1 / 22       
AOM campaign is crazy!

it gets better once u get into the Norselands. And Egypt had some good campaigns 2.

very large battles in some of them.

i just think ur messed up.

Finwe
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 11:04 AM EDT (US)     2 / 22       
I'll ignore you comments about my personal sanity, as your grammar and spelling negate any reasonable points you might be attempting to make.

However, I did not know that there was an Egyptian campaign. I downloaded the Norse campaign from Microsoft but didn't see an Egyptian campaign there. Where would one find it?

El Moppo
Mortal
(id: C J)
posted 09 July 2003 11:10 AM EDT (US)     3 / 22       
In the AoM campaign, there are three main sections in this order:
Greek: You controll the greeks, including the scenarios at Troy,
Egypt: afterwards you end up in Egypt, (if you are not up to this yet I'll say as little as possible) but here there is stuff about god peices.
Norse: You then follow enemies out of Egypt into Scandanavia, (more underworld now and again here).

The First and final two scenarios are set in Atlantis.

][- ][_ . ][\/][ (()) ][) ][) (())
Angelcynn > Niwe Middangeard ~ Ic
mummy9011
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 11:33 AM EDT (US)     4 / 22       
I think the campaign is too short. they should make two campaign with differnt heroes and stories.
Finwe
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 11:37 AM EDT (US)     5 / 22       
Damn! It sounds like I might be playing this campaign for the rest of my life! Is the campaign that was available for free at Microsoft just as long?
Taliesyn
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 11:38 AM EDT (US)     6 / 22       
Finwe -

1) Be careful of the snide comments. As is usual online, some of the most helpful posters here have less than perfect grammar and spelling. If you don't like how something is formatted, don't read it; don't become the petty grammar police and get an attitude.

2) You downloaded a bonus campaign. The actual AoM campaign is something like 32 missions long, with you going from Atlantis/Greek to Egyptian to Norse. It's one long storyline.

3) In 12 years of plyaing RTS games, I have yet to see one whose campagins are only 4 to 6 missions long. The standard is 10, with some going 8. However, those 8-10 mission campaigns are for games where there are multiple campaigns. The standard is 25-35 campaign missions for a title.

4) What does attention span have to do with it? Just apprach each mission as a scenario, and take the storyline as just a little bit of extra information. There's nothing saying you have to play all 32 missions in one sitting.

"My Legions of Terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice."

[This message has been edited by Taliesyn (edited 07-09-2003 @ 11:39 AM).]

Taliesyn
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 11:40 AM EDT (US)     7 / 22       
The bonus campaign is 4 missions long.

"My Legions of Terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice."
Finwe
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 11:44 AM EDT (US)     8 / 22       
Taliesyn (you wouldn't be from alt.religion.wicca would you?),

1) My snideness was only in response to the "ur messed up" line.

4) It's rare for me to ever actually finish games, as I don't have a lot of time to invest in them if they are excessively long. I'm already reaching the point in the campaign where I am rushing a bit through the missions as to get them over, because I know that if I take a break from it I will probably never come back to it, and I am really enjoying it for the most part. I am going to do as you suggest, and take my time with it. Now that I know that I'm nowhere near the end I will relax and just enjoy the story for what it is. I just hope the missions don't get progressively harder as there were a couple during the Trojan War that I had some trouble with because I couldn't fend off all the enemy attacks. I need to brush up on my speed building skills, I guess.

Taliesyn
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 11:57 AM EDT (US)     9 / 22       
No, I don't post on any newsgroups. I don't like the attitudes most posters on those things seem to have. I've been Taliesyn for around 13 years now, but pretty much just on message boards, BBS's, that sort of thing.

As to the campaign issues, the trick with the campaign is GENERALLY to make solid defenses, THEN worry about attacking. Some missions ("Isis, Hear my Plea") are exceptions, but not generally. Don't forget that units are your best defenders, but towers/forts help immensely.

I'd say the toughest Trojan War one involves the horse, and if you have problems with that, just ask us. Generally, I didn't find any all that much more difficult to the rest, except possibly the absolute final mission. That's understandable, though - the final mission of any campaign is supposed to be difficult, and this one doesn't even compare to how difficult the final missions were in Star Craft, Brood War, or Warcraft III.

Finwe
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 12:26 PM EDT (US)     10 / 22       
I just finished the campaign scenario where I freed Chiron on the island of Ioklos, so I've successfully finished the Trojan War. I did discover that my first step should be to make my starting area defensive before going on the offensive. However, that was definitely a challenge for me while trying to gather resources and build an army at the same time, all the while with squads of Trojan soldiers attacking me. In some cases before the end of the war as soon as I would get a wall built they would start knocking it down. However, it's still fun, and that's all that matters in a game to me.
Taliesyn
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 12:52 PM EDT (US)     11 / 22       
In most cases, a wall will be a waste of time and resources. This isn't AoK - walls are easy to knock down.

Finwe
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 01:07 PM EDT (US)     12 / 22       
I'll keep that in mind about the walls. Typically I back them up with towers and/or fortresses. Without walls, it seems the enemy units just run amok, whereas at least with the walls they have to penetrate them first before doing any damage inside, the whole while with me raining death down upon them!
Taliesyn
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 02:00 PM EDT (US)     13 / 22       
Use units to defend; they do a better job anyway.

In the campaign, there's nothing wrong with walling off chokepoints, but fully walling in your base is another matter entirely.

Don't worry if you lose a couple units every time you beat them back, as long as you aren't losing too much. Just fight them under tower and fortress fire and you'll normally be fine. Trust me - the difference between trying to hold them at a wall and just fighting them under towers is amazing.

Finwe
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 02:04 PM EDT (US)     14 / 22       
Thanks for the tips, Taliesyn. The next scenario looks like a whopper so I will focus my defense on units and towers instead of walls and see if that makes it any easier for me. I guess I could also turn down the difficulty level but if I play them at less than Hard I feel like it's a bit too easy sometimes.
Taliesyn
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 02:06 PM EDT (US)     15 / 22       
What's your next scenario?

Finwe
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 02:09 PM EDT (US)     16 / 22       
I'm not at home right now so I can't reference the exact name of it. The intro movie shows Chiron trying to lead Arkantos up a road and they come to a wall and tower. Arkantos comments how this isn't the work of common bandits and then orders his men to scout for resources. You start the scenario with a Town Center in the lower right and the objective is the enemy encampment in the upper left of the map. The previous scenario ended with the rescue of Chiron from the bandits on Ioklos. I enjoyed that one because I get great pleasure out of destroying things with siege engines. Nothing like watching walls and towers crumble!
Taliesyn
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 02:32 PM EDT (US)     17 / 22       
Heh...I remember that one, I think you actually have two bases. That's an interesting one.

You'll get to do plenty of burning stuff and blowing stuff up before the campaign ends, trust me.

Ashenshugra
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 03:52 PM EDT (US)     18 / 22       
I finished all 32 in two nights on hard.
Taliesyn
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 05:49 PM EDT (US)     19 / 22       
The campaign generally takes 30-40 hours total if you know what you're doing. That's rather surprising.

Ashenshugra
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 08:30 PM EDT (US)     20 / 22       
I just did it about a week ago and have had the game since day one, that helps a lot. I actually tried it early on, but put it aside.
Finwe
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 11:12 PM EDT (US)     21 / 22       
Holy Crap! 2 nights! I just finished scenarios 8 and 9 tonight. Luckily 9 was a short, easy one (destroying the underworld battering ram). I'm guessing that the next one won't be as short....
Arsene
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 11:59 PM EDT (US)     22 / 22       
I am replaying the campaign. Previously I played easy.. I now play Titan. I think even titan is not that difficult for the Akrantoes campaign.

If you guys finished that I think you should try the Golden gift (free download from eso.com). There are 4 scenarios...and the 3rd and 4th are very difficult. AS a 1700 norse I still didn't manage to beat the 4th....for the 3rd I just managed to beat it because of stupid AI after some 10 attempts.

Maybe I simply suck, but I welcome advice on the 4th.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames