You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.21 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » What makes ZEUS SO BAD??
Bottom
Topic Subject:What makes ZEUS SO BAD??
PeterPan
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 02:53 PM EDT (US)         
Personally I love to smurf with ZEUS, he is just very fun to play. And his massive infantery bonus for buildings is just whooping. But why cant you play him in the upper ratings? No top player use him. What makes him so much worse than poseidon? Poseidon only have a small bonus for cavalery.
AuthorReplies:
Mark_Aurel
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 03:08 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21       
To quote an old presidential campaign slogan:

"It's the economy, stupid."

Your claim to being a 1900+ player is looking pretty thin.

Sulphent
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 03:13 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21       
1. Dont smurf, ever
2. Zeus isn't bad
3. There are top players who use Zeus

Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
Mokon
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 03:18 PM EDT (US)     3 / 21       
zeus is played up their... the only thing that inhibits him is set....

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Mokon
    Mortal
    posted 09 July 2003 03:19 PM EDT (US)     4 / 21       
    oh yeah peterpan if u are a 1900 meet me on eso with a 1900 ranked name

• futurehermit
    Mortal
    posted 09 July 2003 03:20 PM EDT (US)     5 / 21       
    Poseidon's bonuses are actually quite significant for early classical and then they snowball for the rest of classical.

Zeus' bonuses are quite significant for heroic and onwards (unless u hit at like 5 min like hope, a hoplite rush will get torn to shreds by any civilization).

Most rated games need the strength in classical.

Zeus also requires a lot of skill and micro. But if u have a lot of skill and micro ability then u're better off to play set cuz set is superior to zeus right now.

fh

PeterPan
    Mortal
    posted 09 July 2003 03:30 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21       
    Mokon - Meet me in general chat4 in 1 hour and we can play. Is that ok, what is your nick?
    Matei
    Mortal
    posted 09 July 2003 03:37 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21       
    If you can't find anything that makes him bad, maybe there is nothing. Try to play him.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
    KoR_Smokey
    Mortal
    posted 09 July 2003 03:53 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21       
    Hope_ does pretty damn well with Zeus
    PeterPan
    Mortal
    posted 09 July 2003 04:01 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21       
    No! Hope is a very very good player, I have played him a lot. BUT, because he use SET he is only 1950.
    PeterPan
    Mortal
    posted 09 July 2003 04:09 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21       
    wrong - it should be ZEUS
    Mokon
    Mortal
    posted 09 July 2003 04:12 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21       
    well i cant go on right now... working on rec game reviews... but if u see me on Mokon, Mokon_poseidon, or Mokon_Zeus some time message me

• CokaCola_KiD
    Banned
    posted 09 July 2003 04:32 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21       
    After the patch lots of people got excited about zesus and the Hop Tox rush. Which is cool and not a bad strat, but I have to tell you that I have an easyer time beating zesus than I do possy. I dont know why but thats my experience. If I had to chosse between Zesus and hades Id rather play hades.
    Mokon
    Mortal
    posted 09 July 2003 04:38 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21       
    yeah but that is just style prefences

• Frigrating
    Mortal
    posted 09 July 2003 05:15 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21       
    A big reason why Zeus sucks is because towers are overpowered vs anything but cavalry in classical. It's very difficult to raid with a hop/tox combo. Towers should be weaker, and Crellations should be alot cheaper, say 75 wood/gold. That way, they can still be strong vs cavalry, but raiding with other units is equally viable.
    NIB
    Mortal
    posted 09 July 2003 05:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21       
    Poseidon gets decent economical archaic gp. Poseidon gets cheaper stables(really important). And most important, poseidon gets militia. Nothing more annoying than destroying a stable and then your enemy gets 2 militia or an archery range and your enemy gets 3 militia.

Lets see. 2 militia for 75 wood and 3 militia for 100wood. An ulfsark costs 80 resources. And you get 2 militia for 75 or 3 militia for 100. 2 militia easily beat an ulfsark and the best thing is that you actually need to make buildings anyway in order to get units produced.

So even if you barely manage to beat a poseidon and you start destroying his base(some part of his base at least), he gets militia which are ownage, retreats them and he can make a new base(hopefully his tc/towers will be able to keep your army away) while he has his militia+whatever army to hold on till he remakes his base.

Also hippikon is a lot faster than hoplites. On higher ratings, everything is about raiding. There is no serious battling and games end even without the major battle. Just cripple your enemy's economy enough so that you can beat him. Even if he has made counters, you dont have to worry since he will never catch your raiders.

Sure you can march across the map in order to attack his base with hoplites but he will just get the tower upgrade and make some toxotes and with some support from his tc, he should be able to hold on. But even as zeus you manage to destroy his stables, he gets militia. And the best thing is that while the zeus player is doing all this, the poseidon player can raid zeus economy and nothing can stop him.

To sum up. Aom currently is only about raiding. No other tactic can help you. He who raids the most effectively wins the game. Even if you get counter units for his cavarly, you wont be able to use them. And when he decides to actually fight your counter army with his army, your economy will be long dead and you wont be able to replace your army fast enough. Not to mention that infantry counters kill cavalry counters more efficient than cavalry counters kill cavalry.

PS Also hoplites will slower your heroic time too. So your enemy will hit heroic sooner and get some nice hypaspists.

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

[This message has been edited by NIB (edited 07-09-2003 @ 05:34 PM).]

futurehermit
    Mortal
    posted 09 July 2003 05:40 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21       
    well said, nib.

i'd just like to add that, as zeus, u will do ok if u do hip-cent raids and counter-raids. then in heroic u can overpower possy by adding hoplites and counter units into ur army (i.e., it's not so much about raiding as it is bigger battles, usually for tcs, etc). not to mention u can have more MUs, and greeks don't have many heroes on the field at one time, and two are melee and have to beat through ur meatshield to get at ur centaurs, etc.

possy is better in archaic/classical and zeus is better in heroic/mythic.

yes, the game is about raiding in the first 12 min or so, but if u can push the poseidon player that far (make use of towers) u can definitely win.

fh

J_Bone
    Mortal
    posted 09 July 2003 08:09 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21       
    Possy probably is superior to Zeus, but Zeus isn't that bad. In fact, he's a lot of fun to play with. If I play a Possy player as Zeus I tend to turtle, always getting the tower upgrade with crennelations(?). Although they're food costly, Minotaurs are great classical MUS, they're tough and with your hoplites you'll be tearing down his stables and eating the militia for breakfast. The bolt is a great archaic GP too. I dunno but I am liking Zeus nowadays.
    futurehermit
    Mortal
    posted 09 July 2003 11:08 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21       
    J_Bone,

yes, i agree with u, that is a good technique too. either turtle with crenellations or use hip-cent. the concern with turtling of course is the potential for surrendering map control. however, if u watch for potential forward builds u can always tear them down with ur hops

fh

EC_firesaiyan
    Mortal
    posted 10 July 2003 01:24 AM EDT (US)     19 / 21       
    who one 1v1 mokon or peterpan i want 2 know zueus is great i dont know wut u crack heads been somkin
    Dealer
    Mortal
    posted 10 July 2003 03:43 AM EDT (US)     20 / 21       
    Zeus's main bonuses are for hoplites and favor. Well, hoplites aren't that hot in classical, and favor will affect only a few villies. That's why he isn't that great. He does have the best archaic gp. Zapping one of your opponent's starting units is very significant.
    Mokon
    Mortal
    posted 10 July 2003 07:18 AM EDT (US)     21 / 21       
    ec we havent played yet....we just agreed to meet

• You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames