You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.37 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Norse Wars v5.0 Released - Lots of New Additions
Bottom
Topic Subject:Norse Wars v5.0 Released - Lots of New Additions
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Matei
Mortal
posted 22 July 2003 09:17 PM EDT (US)         
Yup, you can download it at http://www.NorseWars.tk. It should be up on AoM Heaven shortly also.

In case you haven't played it before, Norse Wars is a blood-style random map that supports 2 to 12 players and has 4 different environments. Players start around a circular arena with a Healing Spring in the center. Your objective is to destroy the enemy Hill Forts while protecting your own. Players must be Norse. The only resource is Favor, which you get when your human units kill enemies in battle - but how and when to spend it is a tough decision! You get free soldiers, as well as a some myth units, every few seconds based on the amount of favor you own, with stronger soldiers/MU's at higher favor levels. You can switch between Infantry, Ranged or Cavalry soldiers at any point to counter your opponent. You can also spend your favor to buy technologies, god powers, heroes, myth units or your god's "unique unit". Different environments give you different options. Every major god also has specific bonuses (different from those in Supremacy), as well as different types of Reinforcements he recieves from time to time. From the first minute onward, there will be arrows whizzing, swords striking, monsters roaring and units flying. Manage your soldiers, myth units, heroes, god powers and upgrades wisely to win!

Here's the list of new features added in version 5.0:
- Much more strategic and exciting battles overall
- Change the type of free soldiers you recieve: you can choose Infantry, Cavalry or Archers by moving the Flag Bearer on your island to one of the Gaia units there; each unit type upgrades at 25, 50 and 75 favor; you must choose your units wisely and manage them in battle if you want to effectively counter your opponent
- Free myth units every so often, depending on the map; they upgrade at 25, 50 and 75 favor; the first unit is a Shade or animal of Set that can gain favor in battle, the others are valuable reinforcements for your army; the ratio of myth units to humans is low enough that you won't be having MU-only wars, but high enough that managing the MU's is critical for winning battles
- A new upgrade for myth units: buy +25% attack for 17 favor using Kemsyt; along with the free units, this makes myth units much more useful for all the gods and it makes battles and micromanagement a lot more interesting
- New, formatted instruction text with colors and icons; the text can also be disabled by the host if he deletes the Wall Piece on his island
- Units on store island arranged in a logical fashion for ease of use
- Players get two Lure powers that they can use to place Watch Towers where they want to (powers actually place towers, not Lures; this is not a mod); you can use them at home for defense, or on the sides of the map for a lookout, or forward if you want to be aggressive (though they might be hit by the regular Meteor showers in the center in this case)
- A cool design around the healing spring in the center
- Several bug fixes
- Many balance changes:
-- Some MU's have had prices changed because either they were too weak or they are too strong with the new upgrade
-- Buyable human soldiers have been removed, since most countering can be done using the free soldiers now
-- Bronze and Curse are cheaper while Frost is more expensive; Curse actually makes the units turn into dust instead of leaving them as pigs
-- The gods' unique units are now: Thor - Ragnarok Hero (3 fav), Loki - Ballista (4 fav), Odin - Jarl (2 fav)
-- Loki MU's now have only +24% speed and only cost 10% less
-- Thor armor upgrades are now only 6% cheaper (2 fav for the attack upgrade and 1 for all the others)
-- Odin god powers are now 10% cheaper
-- Thor's reinforcement bonus is no longer gold for walls; he gets 12 free favor instead
-- Loki's reinforcement bonus is now +2 archer range instead of MU attack
-- The hero on the Egyptian map is now a Priest instead of a Pharaoh
-- Hill Forts have higher starting hitpoints and armor

In addition from being a fun alternative game type, NW is good for improving your battle management skills if you're a Supremacy or DM player. There aren't many regular games where you regularly have to micromanage your three Bellerophons to attack the super-Collosi around your fort while simultaneously tasking your Medusae to freeze the enemy Medusae, making sure your units are countering the enemy, and trying to cause a distraction at the enemy's home base so you can Shifting Sand your army in there .

Also, to do all that stuff Norse Wars uses some advanced triggers and RM scripting features, including custom-coded triggers now - if you're map designer, you can open up the script file or generate an instance of the map in the Editor to see how things are done.

Go to http://www.NorseWars.tk to download 5.0. You can read the ReadMe file inside the zip for installation instructions.

Please post your comments and suggestions here.

Have fun !

Credits for this version: Special thanks to Lp for hosting the file on his site, and thank you to the members of Woad Creations (especially Shiva) for playtesting. Also thank you to all the Norse Wars fans who gave me suggestions for version 5.0.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.

[This message has been edited by Matei (edited 07-22-2003 @ 09:26 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 22 July 2003 09:23 PM EDT (US)     1 / 37       
This version rocks! It's been play-test a lot..and i can truly say that Thor isn't the only god people play anymore!

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
ToXiC TaNK
Mortal
posted 22 July 2003 09:24 PM EDT (US)     2 / 37       
cool looks good. 3.1 got boring pretty fast with thor.

What I just said is a lie.
O1_Mike_1O
Mortal
posted 22 July 2003 09:25 PM EDT (US)     3 / 37       
ALL right! Looks great! Gonna play it right now!
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 22 July 2003 09:48 PM EDT (US)     4 / 37       
I tried it on SP( I haven't installed new patch yet) and it looks pretty sweet.

Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 22 July 2003 09:54 PM EDT (US)     5 / 37       
The best things about this new version is that there is a very visible balance between human and myth units. No more people just getting Thor and massing armor monotonously..

Loki's +2 archer thing is a freaking .... bonus. Loki also gets Ballista now, so in a couple of my play-tests with matei they had 44 range (meaning the ballista on the island could attack units near the fort )

ToXiC TaNK
Mortal
posted 22 July 2003 10:50 PM EDT (US)     6 / 37       
hmm I have played about 3 games now and have some opinions.

• Ranged units seem to be a little stronger. I played one game using infantry and calvary, and the other two using archers, I had the highest score using archers both times and won the games.

• Myth units seem to spawn to quickly. I can have 8 fire giants in less than a minute. They seem to spawn much faster than they are built and that is to much. When I have 8 fire giants the only way to beat me is to buy heros(the stronger ones that cost more favor) and waste most of your favor or to have the same.

• I love the towers. They require alot of thought about where to place them and when.

• "the text can also be disabled by the host if he deletes the Wall Piece on his island" Even though this hasn't happened yet I think this is a bad idea. A host might know how to play by heart and take away the text putting other players who don't know the game at a disadvantage.

That is all for now. Overall its pretty good. Much better than 3.1 anyway

What I just said is a lie.
  • O1_Mike_1O
    Mortal
    posted 23 July 2003 00:21 AM EDT (US)     7 / 37       
    Ok, just played it for about 2 hours with all 3 civs multiple times - here are my opinions.

The gods are EXTREMELY well balanced! Odin is the cavalry man, and is a great counter to myth units. Loki's archers are awesome and on a lucky map with just 4-5 kemsyt upgrades his myth units become very strong. Thor is played more or less the old fasion way, however he is a good myth units god too, because he gets free battle boars.
    Overall the map is much much better than 3.1, but there is one big problem -
    The units are created very very slowly. It takes over a minute to fill up your population. In previous version with high favor you had full population all the time.

Can you please increase the pace at which units are created (maybe only on high levels of favor). This will make the game much more fun. (maybe allow the creation of all the units up to that point - for example at 60 favor with the flag man on infantry, you would get hoplite, axemen, huskarl and ulfsarks all at the same time, just liek in previous versions, and not JUST hoplites)
    Maybe make the same thign with myth units - you randomly get the myth units up to the favor you have.

Another minor thing - the 75 favor myth units are not very powerfull and I would actually rather get the 50 favor one's. Maybe you mean us to micromanage all their specials, but thats just very very hard. Maybe I'll get used to it with time.

But overall, this is really good, and the balance so far is very good! Every civ plays completely differently yet no one is overpowered.

Thank you for making this great version!

Edit: Played some more - I think the problem is not that the pace is sllow, the problem is that teh pace does not increase on high levels of favor. In fact it seems that buying upgrades right away and keeping the favor low is a very strong strategy!
    In previous versions, I could take on 2 soemtiems even 3 people vs 1. Maybe I just don't see all the strategies here yet, but I because of slow unti generation on high levels of favor, a complete noob is not far away from an expert (the opposite is actually waht I really liked about the previous version - an expert always beats a rook)
    Once again, maybe it will just take time for us to get to know the game, but right now, I don't see too much room for skill improvement.
    Try giving all units for lower favor too just liek in previous versions, and see if it makes the game more fun, faster, and maybe more possibilities for strategy.

[This message has been edited by O1_Mike_1O (edited 07-23-2003 @ 03:29 AM).]

VinaCIS_Hero
    Mortal
    posted 23 July 2003 04:16 AM EDT (US)     8 / 37       
    Great job, Matei I'm glad to hear about this new version.

Congratulation !

Matei
    Mortal
    posted 23 July 2003 07:41 AM EDT (US)     9 / 37       
    Glad to hear you are liking it .

The reason the pace is slower is so someone with low favor can catch up to an enemy instead of being "swept away" as soon as the enemy reaches a higher level, and also to give you a bit more time to think. However it could be changed, of course. If you do have a high favor level and you're playing someone with a lower one, one possibility is to use some of the favor - then you'd get an upgrade that lets you do better against the enemy without sacrificing a lot of units. In fact on some maps it can sometimes be useful to purposely "downgrade" a unit to a lower counter-unit by spending some favor because the counter-unit is better against the opponent's troops. However the "final" troops in each category are pretty good - Gastraphetes are the best archers for attacking buildings or MU's due to their crush damage, Myrmidons effectively counter non-Greek cavalry, non-Greek infantry, and also non-Greek archers if you can get close, and Jarls/Hetairoi/War Eles are especially good for Odin.

After more people play the game for a while, I'll probably release a new "minor version" to fix any balance issues. There are lots of possible imbalances - MU's as Toxic Tank pointed, also the gods' bonuses in a long game, and some of the unit types (War Elephants come to mind).

[This message has been edited by Matei (edited 07-23-2003 @ 07:41 AM).]

Shiva
    HG Alumnus
    posted 23 July 2003 07:58 AM EDT (US)     10 / 37       
    Mike - It's not so, actually. In a perfectly even game, you'll have the same amount of units your enemy has even if you have 73 units...Besides, in the new version you must buy units to counter the enemy, simply making Myrmidon will get you nowhere because they start with such low armor.

About the 75 favor MU's being weak, it's *really* not true. Some of those MU's are: Medusa, Fire Giant, Frost Giant, Mountain Giant, Avenger..Not weak at all!

Hope_
    Mortal
    posted 23 July 2003 08:47 AM EDT (US)     11 / 37       
    Great job matei, much more stable and balanced than other versions.
    Mike the Great
    Mortal
    posted 23 July 2003 11:27 AM EDT (US)     12 / 37       
    I don't know why, but it doesn't work. It just starts up, there's a Gaia Toxotes, Ulfsark and a Raider in the island, and the Hill Fort just sits there and does nothing. The Healing Spring GP doesn't work, and I have my initial GP. It looks as if the triggers are disabled.

I think signatures are a waste of bandwith, space, time. They are useless, unimportant, stupid, created for no purpose, and anyone who has one is stupid.

You have wasted approximately 7.2343 seconds of your life by reading this.

Phronetic_WannaB
    Mortal
    posted 23 July 2003 12:36 PM EDT (US)     13 / 37       
    OK.....this sounds interesting. So, how does one use this? I mean, do you install and then have an option when in ESO to play non-rated against friends...... what's the modus operandi
    O1_Mike_1O
    Mortal
    posted 23 July 2003 12:38 PM EDT (US)     14 / 37       
    Yes, I found some great 75 favor myth units, but what I meant were medusa and mummy (who surprisngly come very very often). They are definitely powerfull, but require a lot of micromanagement - maybe thats what Matei wants!

Anyway, it looks like I just don't know the game enough to make balance comments. But definitely increasing the overall pace of units (giving 5 each interval instead of 3 or something like that) will increase the pace of the game. It's a bit slow right now.

And you guys should try it out in a 5 players FFA (the way people usually play online) In a 1 vs 1 the game looks completely different - actually a big improvement over the previous versions. There 1 vs 1 was decided after about 2 minutes

Pronetic wannabe,
    1. there are directions in the zip file
    2. Just go to ESO and advanced games, and I am sure you will see rooms title norse wars

[This message has been edited by O1_Mike_1O (edited 07-23-2003 @ 12:39 PM).]

Matei
    Mortal
    posted 23 July 2003 03:36 PM EDT (US)     15 / 37       
    To use it, move the .xs and .xml files in the zip archive to your Age of Mythology\RM folder. Then on ESO, go to Advanced Setup, host a Supremacy game, and under map type select Norse Wars - it's a random map like the others.

Tomaat
    Mortal
    posted 24 July 2003 05:02 AM EDT (US)     16 / 37       
    Great job, Matei!

|Tomaat|
    |Member of Woad Creations and Blackstorm Inventions|
    jobo da hobo
    Mortal
    posted 24 July 2003 08:11 AM EDT (US)     17 / 37       
    that is the nw over

Rookierookie
    Banned
    posted 24 July 2003 09:52 AM EDT (US)     18 / 37       
    I've never been good at norse wars, but I like the new version.
    Matei
    Mortal
    posted 24 July 2003 07:17 PM EDT (US)     19 / 37       
    OK, the game has now been updated to 5.1, which fixes some bugs and also a bit of balance (thanks to eX_Hope, NW_Conqueror and Shiva for finding them!). It's still at www.norsewars.tk .

DaMijit
    Mortal
    (id: tobymac)
    posted 24 July 2003 07:30 PM EDT (US)     20 / 37       
    As someone who is undefeated in norsewars in about 25 games (although only 5-10 against decent players), I think I can say this: The MU's spawn too fast. I suggest they spawn two-thirds to half as fast.
    O1_Mike_1O
    Mortal
    posted 24 July 2003 08:15 PM EDT (US)     21 / 37       
    Did you increase the speed of spawnign of regular units?

Damijit, have you played NW_ clan?

Meow_Man_LOL
    Mortal
    posted 25 July 2003 05:56 AM EDT (US)     22 / 37       
    Looks nice I'll try to get my clanmates to play it on the next meeting ;D

Vagabond_Meow
    Rating: 1843 God: Ra
    Rating: 1833 God: Isis
    Matei
    Mortal
    posted 25 July 2003 08:20 AM EDT (US)     23 / 37       
    Actually the later units do spawn a little more quickly, but the first few are the same.

Shiva
    HG Alumnus
    posted 25 July 2003 08:50 AM EDT (US)     24 / 37       
    I invite you to play me DaMijit I'm RageOfHaemon on ESO.

And mike, i beat Nw_Conqueror_ in 5 mins this one time

Peredhil
    Mortal
    posted 25 July 2003 01:57 PM EDT (US)     25 / 37       
    I am not very good at the game (in 2v2 I am always the one who has 2 gang up on me and my teamate resign ), but I think v5.0 is by far better than 3.1. It is more balanced, better to play, and requires a lot of thought when it comes to tactics.

Peredhil
    Arguments are to be avoided;
    they are always vulgar and often convincing - Oscar Wilde
    O1_Mike_1O
    Mortal
    posted 25 July 2003 02:26 PM EDT (US)     26 / 37       
    Conq is one of the worst players in the clan in norsewars.
    And we are not comfortable with the new version yet . I doubt you can beat steel, skyline, me or rookie in the previous versions. But I would really liek to play you. Never seen you online!

[This message has been edited by O1_Mike_1O (edited 07-25-2003 @ 02:28 PM).]

Shiva
    HG Alumnus
    posted 25 July 2003 05:28 PM EDT (US)     27 / 37       
    I kinda taught Steel aka HermesLilHelper when he was new to NW, so yeah i think i can beat him.

Peredhil
    Mortal
    posted 28 July 2003 01:48 PM EDT (US)     28 / 37       
    Beat who?

Peredhil
    Arguments are to be avoided;
    they are always vulgar and often convincing - Oscar Wilde
    nifty_PS2MAN
    Mortal
    posted 28 July 2003 04:33 PM EDT (US)     29 / 37       
    Whats wrong with my copy?

When it starts as normal and my units on the island kill each other

i dont get lure and i dont get fee units

is there something else i need? coz i have downloaded this 8 times and it still turns out this way

PS2MAN
    The Mythod Clan Burns To Ashes
    Long Live The Phoenix!!!!
    Phoenix_PS2MAN an Norse Wars Expert

Currently Recuriting Experienced NW UK Players.
    Bazz Lightyear
    Mortal
    posted 28 July 2003 08:10 PM EDT (US)     30 / 37       
    lol, definitly something wrong there with your version. verry strange though... maybe you can just delete it and join an norse wars game on eso, so you have to download it from the host. maybe that works... (I hope)
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames