You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Do u think that the creators of aom thought this would happen?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Do u think that the creators of aom thought this would happen?
Fenrir_the_Beast
Mortal
posted 24 July 2003 06:54 PM EDT (US)         
Do u think that the creators of aom thought that ppl would find these strategies:

1Loki rush?(probably)
2Odin/possy raiding?
3Set animal rush?
4Hades booming strat?

And any others that u can think of.

thanks.

[img]http://aom.kamejoko.net/?id=Fenrir_the_Beast[/img]

How do you keep an idiot in suspense for hours?

AuthorReplies:
Sulphent
Mortal
posted 24 July 2003 07:00 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
I don't think they knew or cared really as long as they got the money!

Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
Mokon
Mortal
posted 24 July 2003 07:02 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
yes... when game designers start to form ideas they will create stratgies which they will be good at.

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Matei
    Mortal
    posted 24 July 2003 07:20 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
    Definitely, why give the gods those bonuses if they don't have it in mind? If you read the old showcases, they give some hints as to how each god is expected to be used. Maybe ES didn't expect some things to be as powerful or as weak as they are.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
    Dealer
    Mortal
    posted 24 July 2003 09:00 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
    Odin raiding? Well, ES did give them the name RAIDING cavalry, so probably yes to that one LOL

Definitely yes on the Loki rush. The faster longhouse training is the giveaway that they meant for Loki to be a great rusher, and also the fact that you can start training your rushers in archaic.

[This message has been edited by Dealer (edited 07-24-2003 @ 09:02 PM).]

TheShadowDawn
    Mortal
    posted 24 July 2003 10:53 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18       

Quote:

I don't think they knew or cared really as long as they got the money!

Yes, since it's well known that ES has no regard for balance whatsoever and really doesn't care about whether their game is fun to play.

Uh, no. Otherwise AoM would've been released about 8 months earlier. No game ever made has ever been perfectly balanced. AoM has had a fairly good run considering. Take a look at Blizzard, who have far more resources at their disposal and put the same effort into balancing their game, and WC3 still had problems.

TheShdwDwn
    If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
    Kumar Shah
    Mortal
    posted 24 July 2003 10:56 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18       

Most of the popular and balance affecting strategies are always found by players after patches are released, it wouldnt matter whether they had Shiatzu or TSD or someone else to playtest it.

When they released AoK, they prolly never dreamt of a Flush, when they released AoM they prolly never thought of a Ra FH.

One reason I beleive, is that as the playtesters work with ES, they work on specific points, maybe not thinking much out of the box.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
    A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
    The Golden Arm
    Mortal
    posted 25 July 2003 01:36 AM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
    i dont think anyone really saw the Set Animal rush comming lol. Loki was designed for Rushing, Raiding Cav as its said before were designed for Raiding, hence the name. All Civs can boom, some more effectively than others, but im sure ES had this in mind.

ESO =AoA_Disarm_,pR150n_53X
    Other Nicks IamDisarm ,When_Apes_Attack ,Run_With_Scissors ,Testament ,The_Golden_Arm ,
    Have no way as way
    Have no limitations as limitations - Bruce Lee

Mokon
    Mortal
    posted 25 July 2003 07:12 AM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
    no they prorbably saw the animal rush but they didnt think it would be so strong

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Solver
    Mortal
    posted 25 July 2003 08:07 AM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
    I doubt they saw the animal rush, they just kept powering Set up, from being the most worthless god to what he is now...

By the way, people who have never talked to any of ES employees should stay silent about how they don't care about their games.

Solver, a proud Age community veteran.
    Fenrir_the_Beast
    Mortal
    posted 25 July 2003 12:21 PM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
    well i think they do care to be honest becuz y would they come out with patches if they didn't care of the game being balanced?

oljb007
    Mortal
    posted 25 July 2003 12:57 PM EDT (US)     11 / 18       
    I recall reading a post from an ES employee, deathshrimp i think where he said that there were still strats they new about that hadn't been discovered. So with that in mind i bet they know practically all of them, however what they dont/cant do is explore all the possibilities with them to discover just how effective they will be.

Titans oljb007
    Vanilla oljb007 (1684)

"am i a smurf if i beat you? Well, you are if you beat me" --isnt that the general idea of this game?

Rookierookie
    Banned
    posted 26 July 2003 08:43 AM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
    Poseidon granary/storehouse spamming:-D
    Solver
    Mortal
    posted 26 July 2003 11:07 AM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
    Hmm, undiscovered powerful strats? I have my doubts, with thousands of people playing.

Gotta find one and get to 2000 .

Solver, a proud Age community veteran.
    Sulphent
    Mortal
    posted 26 July 2003 01:06 PM EDT (US)     14 / 18       
    TSD, i was being sarcastic :P obviously they like money but they do try to balance the game out as good as possible.

Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    ES_DeathShrimp
    Immortal
    posted 29 July 2003 01:03 PM EDT (US)     15 / 18       
    Our balance team is very, very good, but still the hundreds of games they play just can't compete with the thousands of games played by thousands of people once the product is avaiable in retail.

This is why I think RTS patches are inevitable. We would love to release a perfectly balanced game, and we labor mightily to do so, but it's just really hard to anticipate the crazy strategies people come up with.

And if we have seen the craziest strategies surface already, I would be very surprised.

Midnight
    Mortal
    posted 29 July 2003 02:42 PM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
    Come on DeathShrimp, give us a clue!

What sort of crazy strats aren't you telling us about?

Midnight

signalfires
    Mortal
    posted 29 July 2003 03:38 PM EDT (US)     17 / 18       
    I think DeathShrimp means he's waiting for us players to find crazy strategies, rather than that he's created some himself. *goes off to look for bug exploits and overpowered units*

s i g n a l f i r e s
    Fenrir_the_Beast
    Mortal
    posted 29 July 2003 04:28 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
    Well to be honest i like all of the patches that come out and balance the game a bit more at the time. but i don't like it how set is too powerful when used right. when i was a newb, (1550-1600) i never had a problem with set. but i am now (1750+) having lots of problems with them. if u look at the top 10 right now at this moment, 8 of the 10 play set at least 5 times. that is crazy. isn't that enuff info for the ppl who r making the patches that set is overpowered?

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames