You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.25 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Marketing of AoM?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Marketing of AoM?
MiNdWaRp
Mortal
posted 26 July 2003 01:35 PM EDT (US)         
Does anyone else think the low numbers on ESO are due to poor marketing on ES's part. Yeah its a given that ESO sucks, and YES I KNOW SET IS A SCREW... but look at Rise of Nations and Warcraft 3, they're not half the game that AoM is, and yet they've probably sold more than AoM has.

I feel ES needs to do more advertising, make people other than Agers anticipate the release of The Titans, and if the million or so people who bought AoM come back to the xpak, they need to advertise the Multiplayer feature alot more.

Sure this will at first create an influx of n00bs into the system, but in the long run it will increase the numbers of good gamers online. I hope we'll see numbers over the meager 25000 or so players a week that we have now in the xpak.

AuthorReplies:
DaMijit
Mortal
(id: tobymac)
posted 26 July 2003 01:51 PM EDT (US)     1 / 25       
I think its not so much bad marketting as a combination of three factors

1. As you said, ESO sucks. When it works it is awesome, but 3/4 of the time I can't even join games
2. the Age series is more of a cult following series, like Total War. Yes, they are better, no they don't have mroe players
3. While Age fans tend to be open to new games, blizzard fans say "Oh, they is base building, no heroes developement, and games are more than 10 minutes. Its sucks". Plus the fact that Blizzard's editor >>>>>>>>> AoM's, which ads a lot of replay value

The problem is that while a game like AoM should sell itself the way Starcraft did, all the new WC3 fanboys are dissing it, causing newcomers to think its bad

AgeMyth
Mortal
posted 26 July 2003 02:30 PM EDT (US)     2 / 25       
first most people dun play multiplayer.
When i got AOE1 i spent 2 years playing that game and nvr went online.

most people will only play the game on and off. Casual gamers usually dont stick to one game for long.

even if ESO's connection was top notch it wont really improve the numbers by that much maybe 1k more?

Microsoft actually did more advertising for AOM than any other Age game. I even saw the Ageof Mythology add on the TV!!!!

NIB
Mortal
posted 26 July 2003 03:12 PM EDT (US)     3 / 25       
Wc3 had a lot more advertisement/hype. Ron was heavily pushed by the press and got out at a time where no other rts was coming out. Still ron has like 200 ppl online average and will always have a lot less ppl than wc3 or even aom since ron is way too complicated for most players. Not to mention that games usually last longer.

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

Solver
Mortal
posted 26 July 2003 03:14 PM EDT (US)     4 / 25       
Dunno, that means nothing to me... though in my country we don't get game ads no matter how much advertised they are.

I do, though, know of all the major titles... if anything has me interested, I read game info and decide then. Like, I don't like Blizzard games, yet I read about WC3, until I understood it wasn't the game I want.

Solver, a proud Age community veteran.
YaleHadderity
Mortal
posted 26 July 2003 03:37 PM EDT (US)     5 / 25       
Is it true that the "people online" number on ESO lists only the people logged on and waiting for games? People actually playing a game are not counted in the number. So it could be the case that although it says 500 people are listed as online, in reality 1000 people or more are actually playing the game.

I find that I seldom wait more than 2 minutes when I want a quickmatch. Of cousre thats at the 1600 level bu for me thats al that counts.

The breakfast of champions is not a cereal, it's the enemy
GaryPayton
Mortal
posted 26 July 2003 03:43 PM EDT (US)     6 / 25       
I dont think ES is responsible for marketing... that's MS job I guess.
Solver
Mortal
posted 26 July 2003 03:52 PM EDT (US)     7 / 25       
Somehow, I get a quickmatch within 30 seconds normally... and sometimes I'm on even with less than thousand people online... but as far as I get my games, I'm fine with it .

Solver, a proud Age community veteran.
J_Bone
Mortal
posted 26 July 2003 03:57 PM EDT (US)     8 / 25       

Quote:

Its sad that the country that has the most nuclear/biological/chemical weapons, threatens other countries and tells them that they shouldnt get these kinds of weapons. Only 1 country refuses to sign Kioto treaty(enviromental treaty). Only 1 country refuses to join the international court that judges war criminals(unless its citizens are excluded). Only 1 "western" country still has death sentence. Human rights you said? Quantanamo any1?

Hmmmm interesting quote there NIB. Where did you get that? Two things: It's Kyoto, not Kioto, and Guantanamo, not Quantanamo. Very nice though.

Yes folks it's me!!!!
NIB
Mortal
posted 26 July 2003 04:42 PM EDT (US)     9 / 25       

Quote:

Hmmmm interesting quote there NIB. Where did you get that? Two things: It's Kyoto, not Kioto, and Guantanamo, not Quantanamo. Very nice though.

Ehm thanx. I am greek so i just guessed how those things are spelled. I didnt find it anywhere, i just wrote it on my own .

I edited my signature.

petero
Mortal
posted 26 July 2003 05:06 PM EDT (US)     10 / 25       
i know about that Nib, since international court is here in Den Haag in the Netherlands
the law the americans accepted that it's allowed to free american prisoners here in Holland by force has raised the hairs of even the most pro-american people in europe

and that to the country who was first to recognize the States of America, founded the town of New York (New Amsterdam) and was always America's ally
many are/were the ties between our two countries, but since then anti-american sentiments are on the rise (not only here but in the whole of Europe)
so stupid!!!!

and i don't even want to discuss Kyoto or weapons

(ESO name: Renshai)
InsertNameHere
Mortal
posted 26 July 2003 05:10 PM EDT (US)     11 / 25       
I don't think RoN has sold more than AoM at the comparative points in their life spans. 2 months after AoM came out, it was still very high on the best sellers list, and I think the game opened higher than RoN too. I'd be willing to bet that AoM will sell more copies than RoN as well.
J_Bone
Mortal
posted 26 July 2003 08:28 PM EDT (US)     12 / 25       
Well NIB I am impressed with your eloquence, that is a well said paragraph. While you are here I just noticed : enviromentalism = environmentalism ?

Not trying to be nitpicking just thought I'd help. Well said.

Yes folks it's me!!!!
NIB
Mortal
posted 27 July 2003 06:26 AM EDT (US)     13 / 25       
I also wanted to add about a nuclear treaty that US refused to sign recently. And about the lack of "weapons of mass destruction" on Iraq. Have you notice that bush doesnt even mention that term anymore? Now they are blaming CIA for this. And i ask you.

If some1 tells me that you want to kill me and i kill you first but then i find out that you didnt intend to kill me and that person lied to me, SHOULDNT I BE PUNISHED? Sure i shouldnt be punished as bad as i should cause some1 else lead me to this crime BUT STILL I WAS THE ONE WHO DECIDED TO ACTUALLY KILL YOU.

Isnt any1 with any decent moral values left in the US? Is the majority in that country so stupid that they cant see what their administration is doing? Oh which reminds me that the majority of that country DIDNT BOTHER VOTING. Also from those that did actually vote, the majority didnt vote for bush.

Enough with me talking about this, if any1 is interested you can email me. My email address can be found on my profile.

PS I will edit my signature later. Thank you.

[This message has been edited by NIB (edited 07-27-2003 @ 06:29 AM).]

aom dude
Mortal
posted 27 July 2003 06:54 AM EDT (US)     14 / 25       
I think that the september stuff made the americans really afraid of everything anti-american. After one attack they feel like everyone is agianst them.

on-topic: They should make more commercials on AoM. Microsoft is busy to much with the xbox.

It's lame to quote yourself - aom dude
tbarak
Mortal
posted 27 July 2003 05:38 PM EDT (US)     15 / 25       
Nib, I think you are a very conscientious person who really cares about what's going on around him. But, it's not the American people that are the problem, its the elitist politicans. Most people are just average folks who just wanna get by, provide for their families and live life to its fullest. I don't agree with most of what my government does but they don't really care about me anyway. Decisions are made in their golden towers by rich and powerful men who care about only themselves and how fat their wallet is. If you think life is fair and that average folks like us actually have a say then I would have to in all respect say you are nieve. 9/11 was a tradgedy and you can't blame people for being scared. The sick part is that the politicians have played on these fears to further their own agendas.

And yes, the thread, ES and MS were extrememly cheap in their ad dollars in Canada when promoting AOM. That's not the problem though. The rating/matching system for quick set up is. I think it drives off a lot of beginners. However games with friends and team play is still an excellent alternative.

prankster959
Mortal
posted 27 July 2003 06:20 PM EDT (US)     16 / 25       
If i hear anymore bull **** about my country i'm gonna flame like crazy. [sarcasm] why don't we all make fun of the greeks and NIB because of their game banning law etc. Why don't we laugh at all the communist governments. If their leader is a bad apple then they all are right? [/sarcasm]

Pentium 4 2.8 ghz 800 FSB, xfx 7800gt OC 256mb, 1gb ddr2 ram @ 533mhz, 160gb raid 0 HD

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
The Red Knight
Mortal
posted 27 July 2003 06:48 PM EDT (US)     17 / 25       

Quote:

lack of "weapons of mass destruction" on Iraq

One question: If they didn't have any weapons what the hell were all the chemical suits and chemical antidotes for,huh? They probably shipped the weapons to one of their dumbassed allies. I don't see why anyone favored Saddam. He tested chemical weapons on his own people years before.

On topic:I didn't see many adds for Aom. With Ron, Warcraft series, and Aok I saw many adds but only 4-5 with Aom. If Microsoft put a game trailer on T.V I bet that would sell alot. Imagine a commercial with a huge Norse Titan on a rampage through an enemy town, or a huge battle between the gods and titans. That would be cool.

The Red Knight

"Must. Have. Flyswatter" - Soccy
J_Bone
Mortal
posted 27 July 2003 06:48 PM EDT (US)     18 / 25       

Quoted from Winston Churchill:

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Anyways I think tbarak has some really good points. The fact of the matter is, Americans are outspoken, and believe in their right to say something. This is a right all too rare in the world.

Foreigners cry against them, swear to spill American blood, yet will do anything to get in..... is there anything more hypocritical?

Take note I am Canadian and right now I am kind of a victim of American policy (anyone heard about the softwood lumber dispute????)

Yes folks it's me!!!!
The Red Knight
Mortal
posted 27 July 2003 06:50 PM EDT (US)     19 / 25       

Quote:

Americans are outspoken

That is kinda true.

Quote:

softwood lumber dispute????)

???

The Red Knight

"Must. Have. Flyswatter" - Soccy
J_Bone
Mortal
posted 27 July 2003 07:01 PM EDT (US)     20 / 25       
I am sure in a country as large as yours, this can easily be overlooked, but a short while ago the US government slapped huge levies on softwood lumber coming in from Canada. Raw lumber is OK; apparently the intent is to create jobs in the US for sawmills etc. who finish the wood.

The WTO ruled in May 2003 in Canada's favor. The US has done nothing.

This has hit my province hard. It also raises prices for American consumers.

BTW I'm not gonna speak anymore in this thread, this is AOM website.....

Yes folks it's me!!!!
NIB
Mortal
posted 27 July 2003 07:06 PM EDT (US)     21 / 25       

Quote:

If i hear anymore bull **** about my country i'm gonna flame like crazy

We arent talking about your country, we are talking about your country's administration. You must seperate those things so that you can actually be able to control your administration. Otherwise your administration will control you thus manipulating you to whatever they see that services their interests(which usually arent your countries interests but are more personal ones).

Quote:

Why don't we laugh at all the communist governments

The communist party gets 5% and barely manages to enter the parliament. Having multiple parties with different ideas is a good thing. Unfortunatelly our political system is slowly changing to a 2 political party thingie.

Quote:

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Democracy is probably the worst political system. Fortunatelly we dont have real democracy since we use representatives. Only true democracy existed in ancient athens. Democracy requires a minumum lvl of education for the citizens in order to work effectively. Since that cant be guaranteed, we cant have a true democracy. So we just manipulate the public according to our plans and give them a false sense of control/democracy and they in return vote us since its impossible for them to vote any1 else(cause of media manipulation).

Quote:

Foreigners cry against them, swear to spill American blood, yet will do anything to get in..... is there anything more hypocritical?

Yup you got to love our governments. Email me if you want to read/talk about these things.

Plz continue the political conversation through my email. No need to spam in this thread. You can find my email address on my profile description. Some1 has already emailed me with some good points and i have answered him(and now i am waiting his answer). If you are interested in reading his points and my answer to his points then email me. If you think you can support your opinion with minimum flaming, email me.

[This message has been edited by NIB (edited 07-27-2003 @ 07:08 PM).]

xplode_agrios
Mortal
posted 27 July 2003 07:15 PM EDT (US)     22 / 25       

Quote:

why don't we all make fun of the greeks and NIB because of their game banning law etc

Democracy and goverments arent soppused to be perfect but when they are wroght there should be descution so falses are gettting corrected...

In greece after the game banning law there was hight protext by magazins net cafes owners etc so the law was turned down in like 4 weeks after it published (nowone got puniced for playing games-just a few net cafe owners got to court just to be exonerated...

NIB
Mortal
posted 28 July 2003 07:47 AM EDT (US)     23 / 25       
If you want to talk about my signature and about latest US actions then continue to this thread

http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=15,14403,0,10

No need to spam here.

Almojo
Mortal
posted 28 July 2003 09:58 AM EDT (US)     24 / 25       
I am not sure what MS/ES did right or wrong but when ever i walk beside a computer games shop i alwas see huge posters of WC3/WC3-TFT i never see anything about AoM. When i go in and ask about AoM they guy might say "i think i have on of those" but when i went to get WC3 the guy even wanted to know my lvl so he can play me.

I think that the reason Blizzard is doing well is bec of word of mouth, more people know it and will buy its games. ESO had 4k at anyone time when it first came out that means +30,000 a day dont forget they dont all join at anyone time. Most of them left due to problems with 2,4 error and lag and other stuff but i hope that changes with the new ESO.

cndsniper
Mortal
posted 28 July 2003 02:11 PM EDT (US)     25 / 25       
MS did advertisements for the game? Wow, I never knew. If they did what RedStorm Games with Ghost Recon and do uber adds on tv they might sell more.

Silence is beauty, words only complicate the task.
Gods of the season lead me to my next incident.
Success is so tragic.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames