You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies, Closed
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » AoM at My LAN Party
Bottom
Topic Subject:AoM at My LAN Party
topical68
Mortal
posted 28 July 2003 02:03 PM EDT (US)         
So, I am about to have a LAN party at my house in about two weeks. AoM is one of the games we had decided to play. My plan, had been to simply use the one legitmately purchased copy of the CD to run the computers. (It is going to be a relatively small party, with only probably around 10 people). However, I read in the FAQ that only three people could share one copy of the game. I have a few questions, that maybe someone knows the answer to....

Short of buying ten copies of the game, what are some work arounds? Can I get by with 3 copies of the game? Can I get by with a "bogus" CD key that would work on the LAN but not on the net?

I am not a thief, as *I* am the one who owns the game, and will not be distrubting copies. on the other hand, I am not ab out to ask all my friends to shell out a bunch of bucks on a game they have never played....

Any advice?

topical68

AuthorReplies:
Mokon
Mortal
posted 28 July 2003 02:20 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
well this topic will be closed fast....

technicly only one person is allowed to play with one copy

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • topical68
    Mortal
    posted 28 July 2003 02:29 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
    If that's true, it's a shame. I figured posting this on the official forum, maybe I could get something that was fairly above board. I am not trying to steal or distribute the game. If anything, the LAN party will promote the game. I make enough money, and so do my friends, that we buy the games we play.

Perhaps I am idealistic in coming here, but I am looking to see what I can do that is legitimate, rather than having either having to play something else or resort to other means.

I mean if there isn't a work around, we'll just be playing something else. I already own the game, that isn't really a question.

GOD_OF_WAR
    Mortal
    posted 28 July 2003 02:31 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
    you can legaly make A as in 1,or,one, copy of the game.maybe as another friend to by it?

to choose doubt as a philosophy of life is like to choose immobility as a means of transportation.

[This message has been edited by GOD_OF_WAR (edited 07-28-2003 @ 02:32 PM).]

stumpy_006
    Mortal
    posted 28 July 2003 02:35 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
    there is no reason this topic should be closed .. hes not asking for an illegal crack or anything .. hes asking for a legit way to play the game with friends over a LAN ...

You'd probably need three copies of the game if you want to play it with about 10 people (3 comps/copy) ... I think this would be the legal way to do it ...

Matei
    Mortal
    posted 28 July 2003 02:39 PM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
    Maybe you can rent two more copies of it from a video/game rental store, and then uninstall those and give them back after you're done. Each CD supports 3 people as has been said. Or you could just not play AoM with everyone at once (split into smaller groups), but that's probably not what you want.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
    zzoo
    Mortal
    posted 28 July 2003 02:42 PM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
    Using your CD, install it on the 10 comps.
    Then make an image of the 1st CD, using Nero or Alcohol 120%.
    Using Daemon Tools to mount the image to a virtual drive on each comp. Likewise, all of you can launch the game without CD.
    topical68
    Mortal
    posted 28 July 2003 02:47 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
    That is over the line with what I am willing to do, not only because of the legality, but also, because of the effort involved.

More I am trying to determine this: What is the story with the three persons per CD limit? Does it actually check for a CD, or is it looking for different CD keys? And if I do "encourage" a couple people to buy it, can each person sponsor two other to play, so we could have 9 players with three reatil boxes?

The Red Knight
    Mortal
    posted 28 July 2003 03:09 PM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
    I doubt this is possible but, I think that the host is the only the one who needs the CD in the drive to click the start button. Everyone else needs it to open Aom, but not to actually play the game, I think. Its worth a try.

The Red Knight

"Must. Have. Flyswatter" - Soccy
    Mokon
    Mortal
    posted 28 July 2003 03:17 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
    technoicly only one person may use one copy......

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • DarkKnight_
    Mortal
    (id: PW_DarkKnight)
    posted 28 July 2003 03:20 PM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
    HG doesn't support this kind of stuff, even if you don't intend to distribute them. Please check your email.

DK

[This message has been edited by PW_DarkKnight (edited 07-28-2003 @ 03:24 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames