You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Zeus vs. Set
Bottom
Topic Subject:Zeus vs. Set
proq
Mortal
posted 28 July 2003 06:32 PM EDT (US)         
I just finished playing a one hour game as Zeus vs. a Set player. I read Hope's thread about lower ranked player mistakes and I totally changed up my normal BO and just tried different things depending on what I planned to do. I usually go archers first since they really kick ***, but I know the egyptian army usually consists of slingers plus set's animals... I wouldn't win that type of fight. So, I decided to start with hippikons. Anyway, he played like a usual Set player... rushed my towers before I even had military and fought back with 4 woodies. That held his attack back for a a minute or two in which gave me enough time to make hippikons and intimidate him. I had the biggest assurance that I was going to lose this match since I saw it was going to be set. Even He admitted to thinking it was a sure loss. But I ended up winning because even though he was in control with the animals slowing me down, he was still a newb. I was able to go after his gold and food ops countless times without having to defend my own base. It was the most challenging game I have played to date and the first time I have beaten a Set player. I truly think Hope's thread shed some light as to what I needed to change and helped me win this game. I, now, have a different perspective of strategy.

Now, for the ranting. Set needs to be fixed... It is extremely stupid to have to play a lesser skilled player and have to play so much harder than him/her to win. Ra was a bigger problem, so Set really doesn't need a major change. I would suggest removing the slinger bonus that makes them stronger, and maybe making the migdol cost a bit more than 25% less... maybe 15% less?

The animals really aren't a problem if you keep your cool and play smart. Remember, they have to micromanage the animals and the economy... all you have to do is micromanage your economy and stop the animals... offense is harder to pull off than defense. If ES changes anything about animals, then Set wouldn't be as unique as it should be.

Proud member of Tsunami Studios
as a
scripter of some sort
ESO: Zeusthor
AuthorReplies:
AlphaUriel
Mortal
posted 28 July 2003 09:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4       

Quote:

The animals really aren't a problem if you keep your cool and play smart.

Sorry, I don't agree at all, and neither do most players. Unlike any other civ, Set can drive you off of hunting and destroy your dock in archaic. He can hold you at bay with a free army that has no counter to hit heroic early and get ancestors. He can do this spending nothing but time with his priests, and summoning apes - which have ridiculously good stats for being 1pop, 3 favor, and no counter.

You're barking up the wrong tree - the slingers hurt, but aren't the real problem, and cheaper midgols have nothing to do with it. It's 100% the animals. Here's the advice to fix the Set imbalance from the former #1 Es playtester / ESO champ: http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~aoe/forums/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002420
Notice the conspicuous absence of any reference to slingers or midgols

proq
Mortal
posted 28 July 2003 09:31 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
it has nothing to do with it... but if the slingers and migdol units don't have their bonuses, it would be easier for someone to get them out of the picture. I agree with Iron's post about letting heroes be the counter to animals again and giving villagers better (not perfect) accuracy, but there are some suggestions that will only make set animals as rare as a greek myth unit. then set will be just like the other egyptians and we get closer to the unison of cultures. Animals are the problem, but removign them isn't the solution. Iron is probably rusty and frustrated, you can't just take everything he rants about as true.

Proud member of Tsunami Studios
as a
scripter of some sort
ESO: Zeusthor
Mokon
Mortal
posted 28 July 2003 09:34 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
Set animals are defentially the problem.... they are free.... the slingers are nice but they are counterable and the cost money.....

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Quintus
    Mortal
    posted 29 July 2003 05:32 AM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
    I think Set's map control is the problem.
    I play Isis and Set. With Set I have the whole map scouted by the time I reach classical and will know where they are gathering their resources from. Those animals have saved my neck from a mean Norse rush with Odin.
    It's hard to nerf set without making him the worst (even worse than Ra). I think instead of Nerfing Set you need to give the other civs a slight boost. Perhaps Vills get a miltiplyer vs. animals (summoned and converted) and Heros get a multilier vs. animals (summoned and converted).

Don't judge those who try and fail.
    Judge only those who fail to try.
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames