You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.28 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » I Don't Understand the "Pause" Button
Bottom
Topic Subject:I Don't Understand the "Pause" Button
spyrofire23
Mortal
posted 30 July 2003 04:10 PM EDT (US)         
Why did ES put in a pause button that is useless? I'm playing rated today then around 6-7 minutes nature calls and I pause the game to take and extended bathroom break, if you catch my drift. I come back and I find out that my opponent has unpaused(!) the game and beaten me down to where I can't really recover, even though I tried.

So what I'm saying is this; Why did ES make it so that other people can unpause the game other than the person who paused it? It seems really unfair to me that if someone will be gone for a few minutes they should be slaughtered without even being able to fight back because the power of Pause has been taken away by none other than their opponent.

[This message has been edited by spyrofire23 (edited 07-31-2003 @ 12:51 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Mokon
Mortal
posted 30 July 2003 04:21 PM EDT (US)     1 / 28       
cause if they didnt allow ppl to unpause it we would have a big big problem

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • topical68
    Mortal
    posted 30 July 2003 04:22 PM EDT (US)     2 / 28       
    Funny, tangiental story:

My keyboard has a "power" key....First one I have ever had that did. Went to hit pause, hit power.....BOOM Windows Xp is shutting down. My wife was none too happy. She was busy kicking my butt.

Solver
    Mortal
    posted 30 July 2003 04:33 PM EDT (US)     3 / 28       
    It has to be that way. Otherwise, people would just pause the game when losing, and absolutely refuse to unpause. This would be bad, especially in rated... as it is, I have (and many others have) had people try to do that, but you can always fight it.

When pausing the game, chat to your opponent and tell him that you'll be back in a minute/two/whatever. Most opponents will then wait - personally, I will myself always respect pausing opponents, because I have had the need to pause myself, like phone calls during the game.

Of course, taking some long breaks during a game is a bad idea... I'd say 5 minutes is the maximum. Be nice. If you get a phone call from someone you know you'll be talking off for 20 minutes, don't leave the game paused. Play and talk at the same time, or resign. It's not nice forcing your opponent to wait for too long.

Solver, a proud Age community veteran.
    spyrofire23
    Mortal
    posted 30 July 2003 05:33 PM EDT (US)     4 / 28       
    that makes sense, but maybe they should make a timed pause, lets say 5 min. You can't unpause the game untill after five minutes, but it unpauses automatically at five minutes. This lets both players know exactly how long they have to get a snack, drink, bathroom break or whatever the wanna do.
    Matei
    Mortal
    posted 30 July 2003 07:25 PM EDT (US)     5 / 28       
    A timed pause might waste your time every game since the losing player could just pause it at the end. However they could add a "pause contract" where both players agree on a time to pause for, and the game has to stay paused for that long. Most people should ideally be honest enough that they won't unpause in the middle of a game.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
    AgeMyth
    Mortal
    posted 30 July 2003 07:53 PM EDT (US)     6 / 28       
    5 pauses each one is 5 mins = 25 mins.

thats how long my average game length is!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by AgeMyth (edited 07-30-2003 @ 07:53 PM).]

spyrofire23
    Mortal
    posted 30 July 2003 08:47 PM EDT (US)     7 / 28       
    What if you only had one pause, instead of five.
    BlackWaltZNo2
    Mortal
    posted 30 July 2003 08:59 PM EDT (US)     8 / 28       
    If my opponent explains to me the reason for the pause I will generally allow a pause of 5-10 minutes after that I am unpausing. Generally this doesn't happen a lot in my experience though. Also sometimes people will ask you to save when they start to lose that I don't do.
    Jk_Realn
    Mortal
    posted 30 July 2003 09:25 PM EDT (US)     9 / 28       
    I could deal with 1 pause the openant has that is 5 mins long. But then when you start getting up in the higher rates, I dont think anything that will delay the game is a good idea.
    Athen
    Mortal
    posted 30 July 2003 11:10 PM EDT (US)     10 / 28       
    people arnt onest anymore
    BoxDude89
    Mortal
    posted 30 July 2003 11:15 PM EDT (US)     11 / 28       

Quote:

What if you only had one pause, instead of five.

What if nature called during a game? and then got a phone

call? uh oh i guess your screwed then ,huh?

The Amazing Box Dude
    ESO name-BoxDude89, FOU_BoxDude89
    Reality Shows are like closed threads.Annoying, meaningless, and boring to look at.-Thor the Mighty
    Co-leader of The Flame of Udun Clan
    CokaCola_KiD
    Banned
    posted 30 July 2003 11:15 PM EDT (US)     12 / 28       
    5 minutes is a little long, if I press pause or anyone else. they just say phone or somthing and I respect it. im under impression that most players do to.

Its just when someone keeps pausing and not giving a reason I tend to unpause it.

Anotherthing is I go to the bathroom before I start a game its not that hard. most games dont go for longer than 24 mins im sure you can hold it till then. Bathroom break in a game thats lame.

[This message has been edited by CokaCola_KiD (edited 07-30-2003 @ 11:17 PM).]

Meteora
    Mortal
    posted 30 July 2003 11:19 PM EDT (US)     13 / 28       
    Take a pee (p--s is not allowed?) before you play the game. If you don't then it's your fault. I think you should get one 5 minute pause per game hour. You can pause other times, but they can be unpaused by anyone.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
    BoxDude89
    Mortal
    posted 31 July 2003 00:05 AM EDT (US)     14 / 28       
    i normally play against my uncle and they last about 45

minutes. i usually drink a pop b4 i play and i drink

another while playing. i pee b4 i start and i usually go

at least twice during a game plus i usually have to answer

the phone. what am i supposed to do? if it wasnt my uncle

i would have lost the game and lost my rating(which is low

anyway but thats not the point) if i was playing one of my

friends(hypothetical story cuz they dont play or even own

aom) they would unpause the game and i would lose.what if

you got called to do a chore at that exact second what do

you do get in trouble or lose? trust me, 1 five mn pause

is not enough, 3 four minute pauses or maybe 2 that would

be good. any who, the opponent shouldnt be able to unpause

the game, unless you have been away for over 5 minutes

The Amazing Box Dude
    ESO name-BoxDude89, FOU_BoxDude89
    Reality Shows are like closed threads.Annoying, meaningless, and boring to look at.-Thor the Mighty
    Co-leader of The Flame of Udun Clan
    CokaCola_KiD
    Banned
    posted 31 July 2003 00:08 AM EDT (US)     15 / 28       
    You know what? If your drinking Cokacola then I understand.
    spyrofire23
    Mortal
    posted 31 July 2003 00:14 AM EDT (US)     16 / 28       
    Thank you BoxDude89. Stuff like that happens to me all the time.

To CokaCola_KiD and Meteora, sometimes bathroom breaks aren't just ' ' sometimes they involve waste articles that are harder to hold within, if you catch my drift.

cndsniper
    Mortal
    posted 31 July 2003 00:59 AM EDT (US)     17 / 28       
    Blah! The pause button! Every one I play against wont let me pause! Once my grandma came over so I said brb so I could talk to her for like a minute until my parents came over then boom unpaused, then one time I had to go to the bathroom boom unpaused, another time I had to help my mom move something boom unpaused. Luckily in all the games all that happened is that I just lost soom resources I could have gotton with an idle villie.

P.S: I told them what was going on.

Silence is beauty, words only complicate the task.
    Gods of the season lead me to my next incident.
    Success is so tragic.
    Solver
    Mortal
    posted 31 July 2003 08:24 AM EDT (US)     18 / 28       
    It has always been know that the worst thing for RTS players is outside interference, be that phone calls, pets, two year olds in your lap or girlfriends. Taking a bathroom break during a game is, though, really strange, IMHO. I mean, you should quite certainly be able to hold yourself for 15-20 minutes that the game lasts, and even 40 if it lasts that long. If you have drunk somewhat, go to bathroom before the game, that simple.

MR2 Pilot
    Mortal
    posted 31 July 2003 09:27 AM EDT (US)     19 / 28       
    Actually I think the occasional pause for a proper reason, bathroom, phone or spilled drink on the keyboard by my opponent is great, it gives me a little extra time to study the map in detail and my opponent, having been away or otherwise engaged for a short time, has lost some momentum or at least their concentration on the game. Doesn't mean I'll win, but any advantage is appreciated.

Pauses do need to be limited to stop the loosing players from using them to harass their opponent. A couple of 5 minute pauses does not seem excessive to me.
    -

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
    The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
    The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
    The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
    The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
    Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
    signalfires
    Mortal
    posted 31 July 2003 09:47 AM EDT (US)     20 / 28       
    The pause facility, in my opinion, has far more place in big LAN games (where for example everyone would agree to pause and have lunch or something) than it does in ESO (particularly Quick Setup) games. In the latter, pause should rarely be needed.

Let's think about real need-to-pause scenarios. As people have already said, a typical game lasts 25 minutes. That's clearly long enough to survive without going to the toilet. OK, but you might get someone come to the door, or get a phone call. Now I can play fairly well while on the phone, and if I go to get the door, I just try to be as quick as possible. Finally let's be honest - if something suddenly requires a lot of your attention, it's probably way more important than losing a few rating points anyway, so you can justify resigning from the game.

If that hasn't convinced you, imagine being the other player - would you want to suddenly be told to wait 5 minutes? You wouldn't mind? Are you sure?

s i g n a l f i r e s
    CokaCola_KiD
    Banned
    posted 31 July 2003 11:53 AM EDT (US)     21 / 28       
    Once again I take into consideration a post like this, well tonight I lost a game cuz I was being nice and going ok I`ll pause.

When you sit down to play a rated game, make sure you do what you got to do first. No more sympathy from me.

Solver
    Mortal
    posted 31 July 2003 12:13 PM EDT (US)     22 / 28       
    Yes, before a rated game, make sure you're ready... that's how I only have to pause in 1 rated game of 30, when I get a phone or door call during a game. I never play while food is being cooked - the game might last long, and I don't want to play when food's ready.

CokaCola_KiD
    Banned
    posted 31 July 2003 12:17 PM EDT (US)     23 / 28       
    Man Ive had it lots of time where the phone would ring and I wouldnt answer cuz I was in a big game. Ever heard of answering machines.

I got a kick one day someone was knocking at my door in a really good game. I just didnt answer and they went away. Or one time they knocked I never paused I just got up opened the door told them to come back in 15 mins sat down and kept playing. took only 5 seconds.

[This message has been edited by CokaCola_KiD (edited 07-31-2003 @ 12:18 PM).]

LutherX
    Mortal
    posted 31 July 2003 01:06 PM EDT (US)     24 / 28       
    Ah the famous pause debate....

I think most players will let you pause if you give them a reason, but of course there will always be those dweebs who will stay paused for 30 seconds, enough time for you to get up and leave the room, then unpause for some free shots... just gotta live with them I guess, but they are the minority.

If my opponent just pauses the game and doesn't say anything, I'm unpausing right away. If they can't be bothered to give me a reason then I can't be bothered to wait for them. But if they give me a reason I have no problem whatsoever giving them the time they need, because if I needed to pause a game I'd appreciate the same kind of treatment.

That being said, I try really hard to not pause it, and i haven't had to pause a single game yet. Phone ringing? Bah, probably just a solicitor anyway, I'll let my machine get it. I play late at night so phone calls are rarely a problem anyway. Someone at my door? Ok, for this i have to pause, but if I see that I'm having some surprise company or something else that will take up some considerable time then I'll just come back and resign. Same goes if I have to take a dump and can't hold it, that can easily take 20-30 minutes and there's no way I'm going to ask someone to wait that long. I certainly wouldn't wait. I've heard stories of people wanting to pause for an hour so they could go eat... yeah right!

And there are some times where pausing for any reason at all is just unacceptable, imho, like pausing in the first 5 minutes of the game, I mean if you can't go the first 5 minutes without having to take a pee or something then you have some problems Plus some peeps pause just to get a look around their starting area, which is totally against the concept of RTS games in the first place. Or they do it just as you attack, hoping to throw your concentration off. The first time someone did that I was nice and let them pause, thinking they had to go do something. Like a sucker I sat there for about 10 minutes before I decided to be a jerk and unpause. But I was a noob then, and now I realize that unpausing isn't being as jerky as I first thought.

So..in a nutshell, if you play vs me and you need to pause, just tell me why, and I'll have no problem whatsoever with waiting, so long as it's reasonable (don't tell me you need to pause to chat with your g/f on the phone, ain't happenin). And if it's one of those 1 1/2 hour long games, heck I'll let you pause for 10-20 minutes if you need it. I wouldn't want to throw a game that's been going on for that long simply because I have the dumps and can't hold it in any longer. I wouldn't expect anyone else too either.

Wow, sorry for the long post, guess I got a bit carried away.

You know, here's a thought.. I'm getting paid to post this Hah! I love doing this stuff at work, esp. when my boss is on a 2 week vacation.

LutherX
    Mortal
    posted 31 July 2003 01:08 PM EDT (US)     25 / 28       

Quoted from topical68:

Funny, tangiental story:
    My keyboard has a "power" key....First one I have ever had that did. Went to hit pause, hit power.....BOOM Windows Xp is shutting down. My wife was none too happy. She was busy kicking my butt.

Your wife plays your games with you???

Dude, do you know how lucky you are?

[This message has been edited by LutherX (edited 07-31-2003 @ 01:10 PM).]

Solver
    Mortal
    posted 31 July 2003 01:15 PM EDT (US)     26 / 28       
    LutherX, yea, it's worth waiting a lot in a 1 1/2 hour long game.

With phone and door, it's the other way for me, though. If it's door, I may ignore it - noone I know would come without warning me, so it can hardly be useful. Phone, though, I get important calls often, so I can't afford not answering.

However, if it's not an all-important call where I really need to concentrate, I can often play and talk at the same time.

iam_Chrono_J
    Mortal
    posted 31 July 2003 04:45 PM EDT (US)     27 / 28       
    if there were 5 minute pauses, or even 1 minute pauses, I would quit playing AoM online. I don't have the time to sit around while my opponent does some dumb stuff on his end of the game. if he has to answer the door, go answer it. I don't want to wait for you while you blab with your gf, go to the bathroom cause you forgot to beforehand, or because there's "telephone". To me, that's just plain selfish to make your opponent wait while you do some dumb stuff. Surely a rating is worth enough to you that you won't just quit playing when there's someone you know at the door/on the phone.
    Seems stupid to me.. I've quit in the middle of games when something has come up. I'm not going to force my opponent to sit around while I blab with a relative. If a friend appears at the door, I'll just resign.
    Anybody who cares so much about their rating so as to want thier to a timed pause just so they can talk to friends, get drinks, go bathroom, whatever, shouldn't be playing at all. I dunno, it's just plain stupid to say "ahh friend at the door, pause please". I'm not going to pause. Go talk to your dumb friend. My life doesn't need to revolve around yours.
    Timed pause would be abused anyways. You're whipping someone and they break out the 5 minute pause. That would be just plain stupid.
    Seriously, any multiplayer game to have timed pauses would fail.
    Solver
    Mortal
    posted 31 July 2003 05:21 PM EDT (US)     28 / 28       
    Ahh, that's some pretty bad ideas... AoM is, after all, sports. Therefore, have respect for your enemies. Sure, if he wants to pause for 20 minutes for a chat with his g/f, he's being selfish... but if he wants to pause for a minute just to answer the phone/door, you should show respect and let him.

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames