You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » "Greece" in AoM does not look like greece
Bottom
Topic Subject:"Greece" in AoM does not look like greece
Achillies264
Mortal
posted 17 August 2003 02:15 PM EDT (US)         
I know this topic is trivial, but am I the only person who thinks that maps like "medditeranean" or "sudden death" share more of a resemblince to Bulgaria and other eastern european countries then greece?
AuthorReplies:
LePetitGiant
Mortal
posted 17 August 2003 05:53 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9       
Well, yout right offcourse. But take a look at the Midgaard or Ghost Lake maps. What did ES think that they should be? Scandinavia? Iceland? Germany? I mean Polar Bears and Walrouses crawling around, thats the North Pool or Svalbard!

I like AOM as a game but overall ES has made very bad (or none) research. Its not only the enviorments, its in the mythology to. If ypu enjoy mythology its sad to read the game encyklopedia...

iam_Chrono_J
Mortal
posted 17 August 2003 10:50 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9       
mediterranean is basically an inland, and that's what the map mediterranean creates. It's not supposed to look like greece, the map name isn't greece.

as for midgard, not sure, but then again, who really cares? what does it matter? they're just maps! as long as the maps are fun, I really don't care what they look like.

Athen
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 00:51 AM EDT (US)     3 / 9       
They did pretty well on making the fall of trident campaign, with Hellen getting kidnaped and the trojan horse. Whatabout the pig level with Circle and it does go with the ledgend. How about the characters, Chiron was a myth and so is Hercules...
NIB
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 03:41 AM EDT (US)     4 / 9       
gameplay>realism. There are accurate world maps if you are really interested in realistic maps but they arent that good IMO.

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

mabajsas
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 06:06 AM EDT (US)     5 / 9       
The norse or more known as vikings lived in scandinavia and we dont have polar bears or walerouses here (Im swedish).
But i think that Midgard is supposed to look like and island in the finnish archipelago. As for alfheim it reminds me of the needleforests in sweden.
El Moppo
Mortal
(id: C J)
posted 18 August 2003 06:07 AM EDT (US)     6 / 9       
If you want Greece, go here :
http://www.freewebs.com/chrisaom/

][- ][_ . ][\/][ (()) ][) ][) (())
Angelcynn > Niwe Middangeard ~ Ic
ES_DeathShrimp
Immortal
posted 19 August 2003 11:36 AM EDT (US)     7 / 9       
The maps aren't supposed to represent real geography as much as the ideas about such regions from mythology. Places like Alfheim in Norse mythology weren't like Sweden -- they were crazy places full of elves and monsters. In fact a lot of Norse myth was dark and bitter, kind of like the Ghost Lake and Midgard maps.

Egyptians didn't live in sand dunes either. The Nile was known for its fertile farming ground. And there weren't many zebras running around Egypt.

But we are more interested in making a fun game than a realisitc world simulator.

The mythology detailed in the history section, however, was extensively researched (except for obvious silly entries). Situations where people object to certain explanations usually occur because there is not a single version of most of those stories -- they evolved as do most oral traditions. In fact, the religion practiced at the times often had very different representations of gods and events than the mythologies did. The cult of Aphrodite was very different from the characterization of the floozy who appears in the Iliad.

Mythos_Ruler
Mortal
posted 19 August 2003 12:58 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9       
If you want Greece, go here:

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/viewinfo.php?id=918

or here:

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/viewinfo.php?id=1180

Recreated from many satellite photos and Rand McNally maps. They are large maps, 930M x 930M

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 08-19-2003 @ 01:00 PM).]

arnitald
Mortal
posted 19 August 2003 01:38 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9       
The three main terrain sets: Grass, Snow; Sand (Tropic in the x-pack (as in all x-packs)) should be different and not represent the geographical location of these three civs.
Otherwise you would have: Grass, Grass and more grass.
This game is very intuitive. That means that it is made to fullfill what the most people think about the terrain, not what it in the reality is.

When you hear Egypt you imagine sand, desert and pyramids. You also need sand in every game to make it nice.

When you hear Greece you imagine europe-like terrain, that means grass and forest. Again, it's a different terrain for a different civ.

When you hear Norse you imagine snow of course. And snow is also one of the basic terrain sets in every game.

So you can associate the three civs with their terrain sets in the campaign. Or would you like to see Eggies on grass?
I think that would hurt the image about Egypt of the most people.
This also explains why the Atlanteans look very aquatic. Because it fits to the tropical terrain.

I don't see any problem in this and I would never say this should be changed.
Don't know about the mythology thing you have mentioned above, because I haven't read the help. And I probably never will *shames*, unless I have much time.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames