You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, That AoM Guy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Man, this game has changed....
Bottom
Topic Subject:Man, this game has changed....
J_Bone
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 04:00 PM EDT (US)         
I recently reinstalled all my programs (AOM included) and as it was installing I had to smirk at some of the screens they put up. For instance, about Jarls it says they are "heavy, expensive and slow, but can challenge myth units". Perhaps ES didn't expect them to become the huge all-round fighters they are today? To me, they shouldn't even have a myth bonus, since playing against a Norse player all but negates any usage of myth units after heroic.

Anyways, can anyone think of other examples of how the game has changed into something different from what the original developers envisioned (aparts from the S and R words....)?

Yes folks it's me!!!!
AuthorReplies:
Solver
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 04:03 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
Aside from balance changes, the games weren't supposed to end in Classical. In the alpha many games went till Heroic - many more than now.

Also, defensive playstyle was supposed to be possible. Egypt still can play defensively, but that's not real defense - still must expand.

Solver, a proud Age community veteran.
talos
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 05:27 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
ye they wanted fights to start at classical but to end in it.

The great Gold Giant- Talos
J_Bone
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 05:55 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Another good example is one of the intro installation screens also says that the chariot archer is the "backbone" of the Egyptian army.

It's too bad, I actually think the game as originally envisioned is probably more fun than what it evolved into, but it's still an awesome game .

Yes folks it's me!!!!
Solver
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 06:05 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
Oh yes, Egypt was supposed to switch over to Migdol armies in Heroic. Going mass Chariots + Camels.

Solver, a proud Age community veteran.
mummy9011
Mortal
posted 19 August 2003 08:03 AM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
they should make migdols cheaper
so that more people would use migdol units
chunky_monkey
Mortal
posted 19 August 2003 03:43 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
@mummies
if they did that then set would have his migdols even more cheap which=more map control which= more ownage.

People with creative minds can create their own signatures, unlike me.
SilverOsirisAOM
Mortal
posted 19 August 2003 04:03 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
The players of AOM have ruined the game for themselves. People come up with these strategies that use like 1 type of unit and it never fails. That is not how the ancient civilizations faught. The Norse did not just say "Gather up all the Jarls, were going to Jarl-Mass Ulf Gralwater's clan"
The way some people play is not fun whatsoever. I hate them because they are just trying to boost their rating. Well, i geuss they are such losers in real life that it seems fun to them to use cheap strats over & over.

I told you I'd be back.
Svenmonkey
Mortal
posted 19 August 2003 04:11 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Winning's what it's all about, at least in rated. If you want to have fun and get to mythic age and play with a massive army of giants or something, non-rated is the way to go.
aom dude
Mortal
posted 19 August 2003 05:49 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
If you invest a lot of time in perfecting a strategy than I would hardly call it cheap.

I like team games, they are much more fun than 1v1.

It's lame to quote yourself - aom dude
alpine
Mortal
posted 20 August 2003 02:15 AM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
Jarls are heavy, expensive and slow! I've read comments by ES employees who said they viewed the Jarl as the AOM version of the Byzantine Cataphract. Interestingly, the Cataphract is referred too as "fast and powerful" in AOK's previews. (Which I just looked up)

ESO Name: Commodus
Coming soon to a theater near you...
VolCanon
Mortal
posted 20 August 2003 02:51 AM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
ya ranked is T3H SH33P
thats why i only play nonranked
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames