You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » The reason why people smurf
Bottom
Topic Subject:The reason why people smurf
Mozory
Mortal
posted 20 August 2003 11:56 AM EDT (US)         
I think the major reason why myself and my online buddies smurf or play advanced games is SET.

All players above 1900 that dont play SET smurf. I think all people are waiting every day for the patch. To smurf or to play advanced games is the only alternative for us.

AuthorReplies:
iam_Chrono_J
Mortal
posted 20 August 2003 12:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
almost all 1900+ players smurf, it's not just because of set.

[This message has been edited by iam_Chrono_J (edited 08-20-2003 @ 12:03 PM).]

stumpy_006
Mortal
posted 20 August 2003 02:05 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
nooo, chrono is the biggest smurf of them all! watch out for his 1000's of smurfs! *runs for the hills*

it makes him feel like a big man to beat people of lower ratings, actually

chunky_monkey
Mortal
posted 20 August 2003 05:27 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
lol@stumpy
I dont see why people care. Sure you can lose a lot of points but if your that good you should be able to get back there again no prob. And + you get ur asskicked by an expert and can see what strat he used and how to counter it.
But that's just my oppinion.

People with creative minds can create their own signatures, unlike me.

[This message has been edited by chunky_monkey (edited 08-20-2003 @ 05:29 PM).]

x_Scarface_x
Mortal
posted 20 August 2003 06:39 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
I smurf while trying to improve on weaker gods.

~*S c a r f a c E*~
Socvazius
CEO
(id: Angel Socrateius)
posted 20 August 2003 07:02 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       

Quote:

I dont see why people care. Sure you can lose a lot of points but if your that good you should be able to get back there again no prob. And + you get ur asskicked by an expert and can see what strat he used and how to counter it.

I think what Mozory is saying is that there is no way to really compete above 1900 without playing Set, so the only way they can get games are by smurfing or playing Advanced. You say they should use the counter to the strategy that their victor uses...what's the effective counter to Set? If non-Set players play in their regular names they will shoot down and won't ever be able to get back up there without playing Set also.

And besides, getting smurfed can really help people if they look at how their opponent defeated their strategy and just look at how the smurfer played.

Angel Socvazius | Chief Executive Officer, HeavenGames LLC
"As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!"
HeavenGames | Join the Facebook Group | The HG Blog
Soccy's Periodic Obsession: ROFLCon
prankster959
Mortal
posted 20 August 2003 07:09 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
Soccy I disagree with your last point. When I get smurfed by someone 200 points ahead of me, I do not learn anything. I get completely crushed and he does so many things that are above my level and is so fast, i can't comprehend it. Now if someone my level beats me because of one or two things, thats when I learn. If I lost because I forgot to reserach husbandry and I didn't put my pharoah on barracks, then the next time I play I will avoid this error. If I lose to a much, much better player, what am I going to learn? Sure I can copy his BO, but what is that going to do for me in the long run. You only truly learn from playing people just a little better than you.

Pentium 4 2.8 ghz 800 FSB, xfx 7800gt OC 256mb, 1gb ddr2 ram @ 533mhz, 160gb raid 0 HD

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

[This message has been edited by prankster959 (edited 08-20-2003 @ 07:10 PM).]

Socvazius
CEO
(id: Angel Socrateius)
posted 20 August 2003 07:12 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
It may just be in the differences in the way we learn the game. I've played games with Wolf, Hope, Aetius, and other 2k players, and I've learned a heck of a lot in each game. Looking over the recs helps a lot too.

Angel Socvazius | Chief Executive Officer, HeavenGames LLC
"As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!"
HeavenGames | Join the Facebook Group | The HG Blog
Soccy's Periodic Obsession: ROFLCon
_HaZ_
Mortal
posted 20 August 2003 07:20 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
Answer to your question:

1. Because they are bored

2. To test new strategies

3. To have another 2k name

4. To learn a new God

Kumar Shah
Mortal
posted 20 August 2003 08:10 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
There are many reasons why people Smurf, and one of them is Set.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
Mozzar
Mortal
posted 20 August 2003 08:50 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Sorry, but this thread is a joke. Like Kumar said, there's many reasons why people smurf and I find it laughable that you blame it on Set. So are you saying that if Set wasn't overpowered in the higher ratings, then you wouldn't smurf? pfft...plz!

IMO, there is only one valid reason to make a new name and thats if you just joined a clan, since ES seemed to stupidly leave out a "change name" function.

People that are 1800+ and say they need a new name so they can practice a new god or strategy are kidding themselves as I can't see how a person would be 1800+ on one god and then could justify themselves to be 1600 with other gods. So what smurfs do is create a new name and have a few easy wins while beating up newer players, when really it would be much better for them to stay on the same name and lose a few until they lose 100 points or so, until they can improve on that god/s. It's funny how people here say that the lower players that get smurfed shouldn't complain cause they can learn from the experience and plus they can work their way back up the ratings if they were meant to be there........but how about the actually smurfs stay at 1800+ and play a few games in which they will most likely lose, but at most they will only go down 150 or so points if they unlucky. Then they will be the ones learning and should be able to get back up to their original rate if they were meant to be that high in the first place. After all, its the smurfs that are creating new names to learn new gods and strategies that want to learn, so why make the lower players suffer? Answer = Ego.

They don't wanna lose cause they know they can't hack it at their current rate on a different god, so they choose to beat up on lower players to make themselves feel better.

I just wish people could use the one name and then we wouldn't have to put up with topics like this.

Now if you really must have a high rated name and can't compete at that level cause everyone uses Set, then you either use Set yourself or play another god and do your best. So the way I see it is you either-:

1. Play as Set when aiming for a 2k name.
2. Play as your preferred god and try your best to get 2k.
3. Don't play rated until the next patch.

But until then, plz stop destroying this community even more by smurfing cause it just snowballs through the rating system. eg. I get smurfed, then I end up being accussed of being a smurf cause I just lost 100 or so points to smurfs.

Therefore you the higher players have totally destroyed the morale of lower players so they leave AOM. Then you 1800+ players may find that you guys are rookies in the whole scheme of things cause all the 1800- players have left the game.

[This message has been edited by Mozzar (edited 08-20-2003 @ 08:50 PM).]

TheRevolut1on
Banned
posted 20 August 2003 09:58 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
I would have to say from my experience that we live in a world with many rules and regulations...dos and donts. People are born with creativity some more some less. The ones who have excess amounts have a hard time adjusting with this life and need an outlet for exsess creativity. So they create multipile accounts and personalities. After time it becomes addictive untill its a real problem and the person should seek some help. I think a real smurf will always give himself away at some point or he will try to get caught on purpose. The reason for this is he is really seeking help and hoping someone will notice and do something about the personalits that are going out of control. Thats my opion anyway.
TheBigDonkey
Mortal
posted 21 August 2003 06:06 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
Umm...no i don't think thats it

ESO Nicks: AoA_Donkey, TheBigDonkey, MrBJohnson, UltraNewb, BOOMUrDead, IAmFlamboyant
Highest rated nicks: 1749 with Isis 1730 with Poseidon
"thank you, you changed my life" oxyGENIUS to Coke Kid after reading another one of his "famous" posts
"I'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet"
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames