You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.21 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » The Atlanteans
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Atlanteans
CsI_Justin
Mortal
posted 29 September 2003 11:38 PM EDT (US)         
I been playing a few games with 2k players so I thought I'd come here and give my own opinion.

To start:

In archaic Atlanteans are just plain boring, vills take too long and no micro is really needed, but the idea where you don't have to drop off resources is really cool.

Atlantean vills are very very slow - on a water map walking to water can take a while - but you can now hunt any animals pretty much with just 1 citizen - which rox

Farms cost 200 wood and you can plop them anywhere - Atlanteans are very convenient with their economy, and very good - best of all civs easily.

Getting MU's at temple for each civ is huge and really adds a lot of fun for such a small change.

A popular strat already is Kronos rush similar to Lokis, a guy shifts his temple forward and then deconstructs the enemies temple so he cant get his free MU.

Another strat being used is Turma raiding with Oranos, they are like cav archers but they counter archers - so kind of like slingers - but more powerful

On water it's similar with deconstructing a dock. Atlanteans are overpowered on water I think, yeah boats are weaker, but they are fast as hell and cheap, I played a water game with Aetius , Wolf, Zeke - vs 2 Lokies, I used gaia and they were just totally overwhelmed by 6 minutes, i mean they pump out THAT fast, you cant beat Atlantean early, only chance is too get popped and try to out muscle his ships.

Auto que i tried once and it doesnt seem to be as helpful as hyped, because you constantly need other units etc, I think it's just a small convenience.

Re-using godpowers is also cool, they are strong but not too strong - Gaia's forest is my favorite - it creates a nice barries and each time you use you recieve about 10,000 wood worth of trees.

I havent even made a titan yet and i doubt theyll be used in competitive games, getting to biuld them is too long and takes too much I think.

Observer mode rox, very simple to use.

Overall The Titans adds a whole lot on, i think it makes a much better game then aom did in gameplay department, it's just more fun - especially Atlanteans. The increased use of MU's is one of main reasons. Building settlements earlier is cool too, but they biuld slower, Atlanteans seem to take longest to biuld them

Any Questions?

Justin

AuthorReplies:
Pipalonias
Mortal
posted 29 September 2003 11:44 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21       
I dunno.. I tried a water build with them and could at the best get 5 minutes 10..... but with @#&*loads of wood/gold. Deconstructing the enemy's dock is heaps of fun though lol

Turma's are annoying.. but just having slingers or chieroballistas etc. in base should ward them off.

AUto-queue I agree I either forget to use it or it's annoying cause I keep clicking to make more anyway.

Observer mode is good Nice for like tourney games or something like that..

Gp's are fine.... spider lair is kinda useless unless they try raiding for instance with centaurs or something and are unlucky

And the free mu's are very very interesting... free 375hp fast-moving unit vs an anubite.... :\

Rusted_Cage
Mortal
posted 30 September 2003 00:32 AM EDT (US)     2 / 21       
So as a whole do you see the atlanteans being equal to or less than the other civs as far as military strength? Also do you see more people using them after the newness of them wears off?
tiefsee
Mortal
posted 30 September 2003 00:41 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21       
I really hope we do not see 2v2 games where the Atlantean partner is tribbing massive resources to their Norse/Greek/Eggy whatever partner and not making much of anything to bring in maximum resources for the other guy.

When I read the notes about the cav counter-archer not being an effective raider - I laughed. I knew people would eventually use it, and as you mentioned, it's already being done.

MR2 Pilot
Mortal
posted 30 September 2003 09:06 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21       
CsI_Justin,

I should probably wait a couple of days and test it myself, but I'm really curious, and you did offer...

Can Zeus Bolt an Atlantean vil during Archaic? Maybe not the first vil, but any in Archaic?
-

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Yohan Hoogland
Mortal
posted 30 September 2003 09:23 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21       
For sure, not the first villie. Check the questions asked at the Soccy Thread.

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
CsI_Justin
Mortal
posted 30 September 2003 03:29 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21       
my build order for atlantians

1st citizen -> food
2nd -> build manor and eco building
3rd -> wood
4th -> food
5th -> gold
6th - 8th food

advance 27 pop at 4:10
send 1 vill to wood
send 1 to biuld manor then chop wood

Sexy_DeaN
Banned
posted 30 September 2003 03:32 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21       
You don't need a manor so early..
Fenrir_the_Beast
Mortal
posted 30 September 2003 03:35 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21       
how fast do atlanteans gather/build time?

[img]http://aom.kamejoko.net/?id=Fenrir_the_Beast[/img]

How do you keep an idiot in suspense for hours?

Sexy_DeaN
Banned
posted 30 September 2003 03:39 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21       
just under 3 times as fast as normal vils roughly~~
FunClan_zero
Mortal
posted 30 September 2003 03:50 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21       
*sigh* another prove norse are useless now *sigh* thx for discourage me more to get the x-pack, but who cares i'm only a n00b.
Benjamin
Fenrir_the_Beast
Mortal
posted 30 September 2003 03:58 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21       
are the atlanteans villies weak?

[img]http://aom.kamejoko.net/?id=Fenrir_the_Beast[/img]

How do you keep an idiot in suspense for hours?

Aetius
HG Alumnus
(id: Flavius Aetius)
posted 30 September 2003 04:04 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21       
The Atlanteans are just as supscetible to raids as has most of you have been thinking so far. Hope and I did a double forest fire raid against Wolf (Gaia) at the start of the Classical age and the game was over within 7:00. However, that Kronos rush that Wolf and Capoch have been doing is pretty sweet, and can really own an opponent of any civ if done correctly. Like Justin said, the Atlanteans totally own water. Those biremes can be massed so quickly to the point where you really need two more docks than the Atlantean player to take him out. Shooting docks also make it possible now for players to FH on water. You can just garrison your fishing ships whenever he attacks, and because it takes so long for masses arrow ships to take out a dock, you'll be able to FH and get out those siege ships without much worry.

Another new factor in TT is settelements in the Classical Age. All civs have the ability to do this. This really makes a great addition to the rush, as you can take forward TC's against your opponent and not really have to worry about heroic.

As for titans, they are extremely powerful. Hope used one in a 3v3 game against me and it knocked out one of my allies and I was barely able to hold it off. In a 1v1 game I've seen that it's pretty much impossible to stop one, as it takes something like a ragnarok to take one out, and even then it still takes several minutes to do so.

Right now I feel that the top gods will probably be Kronos, Isis, Set, Zeus and Loki. Myth units play a much bigger role in the game than before, which makes me feel that these gods have the advantage right now.

I'll post more of my thoughts later.

<--Aetius-->
<--Ex Angel-->
<--eX Clan - Support HG-->
<--ESO: eX_Aetius-->
goodbaby
Mortal
posted 30 September 2003 04:10 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21       
justin,mind share a water build order?
and I agree with dean.You dont need a manor that early.
i build manor when I have 4th citizen out.The pop is 15/15 then start to build manor.Before the citizen coming out,he the manor is completed.
CsI_Justin
Mortal
posted 30 September 2003 04:51 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21       
Manor when i make it is what all 2k players do and here is why - it is viable to make it after 2nd vill if you send 2nd to wood - BUT you want eco biulding ASAP to research - husbandry isnt as big of a deal cuz auto accumulate resources - but getting hunting dogs 70 seconds faster can be a big deal - and it just isnt effiecent to biuld an eco building - gather a resources with SLOW moving citizens then biuld a manor later - biulding them both at once (citizens build very fast) is the way to do it, just makes more sense.
goodbaby
Mortal
posted 30 September 2003 04:56 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21       
Do you ever get husbandry as Atlanteans?
I think it's completely useless except make sheep fatten faster,which is not a big issue.
Sexy_DeaN
Banned
posted 30 September 2003 05:14 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21       
I get eco building straight away with hunting dogs and keep vil flow to have manor at 15 pop..
CsI_Justin
Mortal
posted 30 September 2003 06:09 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21       
this way is better and more efficient and there is more gathering time doing both at once , period.
Sexy_DeaN
Banned
posted 30 September 2003 06:15 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21       
We'll see when I'm top of ESO whos method is better.
CsI_Justin
Mortal
posted 30 September 2003 06:36 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21       
cheating doesn't count
prankster959
Mortal
posted 30 September 2003 06:51 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21       
We'll see whos on top when your map hack doesn't work on the expack.

Pentium 4 2.8 ghz 800 FSB, xfx 7800gt OC 256mb, 1gb ddr2 ram @ 533mhz, 160gb raid 0 HD

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
CsI_Justin
Mortal
posted 30 September 2003 11:51 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21       
heres awesome game all atlantean civs with spains wcg winner rivero and usa's Hope_ vs me and eon

http://www.rtscentral.com/readTopic.asp?PostingId=1439261

Shows all civs in action with some of best players, Hope has awesome Gaia, this might help some of you since arent any recs of good people put out yet. Titans much funner then regular aom

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames