You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Does the Atlanteans seem a little "fantasy?"
Bottom
Topic Subject:Does the Atlanteans seem a little "fantasy?"
Hateku
Mortal
posted 02 October 2003 08:41 AM EDT (US)         
Some of the myth units seem a little too "fantasy" for me. The creatures from the Tartarian Gate are straight out of "Ghostbusters." I keep expecting Zool and Gozer to show up. Are most of these myth units based on actual mythology or did ES make them up?
AuthorReplies:
emo
Mortal
posted 02 October 2003 08:46 AM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
actual mythology is a fantasy as wel...

We began to talk more and more about less and less...

ESO Name: Vagabond_Kanta

Vassilis
Mortal
posted 02 October 2003 09:28 AM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
Most of the Atlantian myth is based on Greek mythology.

Satyrs, Stymphalian birds, Lampades, the Hesperides tree, Hekagigantes (the real name is Hekatoncheires but it probably didn't fit!) and ofcource the Titan Gods!

The human units are probably based on the Romans. Their armor and shields looks like the ones used by Roman soldiers and Gladiators.

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 02 October 2003 10:06 AM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Given that Atlantis didn't actually exist in Greek myth and was in fact just a feature of one well known story in Greek antiquity, you could say yes, most of it was made up. The titans are from greek mythology, though no one certainly worshipped them.

The monsters seem to be for a good proportion at least made up, or adapted from concepts that might have existed in greek myth...but what's wrong with that?

Sure, there were crocodile deities with solar discs on their head in Egyptian myth, but I doubt they fired laser beams. Likewise, Wadjet was a goddess whose symbol was a serpent. She wasn't a monster that spat venom.

Other examples are the Manticore - it wasn't greek, it was from Mesopotamian folklore and further east into Asia. And the Hydra had 9 heads, not one, not three. The Hydra also couldn't be killed - Heracles only got rid of it by burying it after he couldn't kill the last head.

Games don't work very well if you try to be completely faithful to their theme. They're meant to be fun. And I think that was ES's objective in making Titans, not a faithful recreation of a Greek story.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
El Moppo
Mortal
(id: C J)
posted 02 October 2003 11:23 AM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
Said before, Atlanteans are Myth, therefore fantasy, but it seems they have taken their military units from other civs (Greeks, Romans) and their myth units from other civs.

][- ][_ . ][\/][ (()) ][) ][) (())
Angelcynn > Niwe Middangeard ~ Ic
CokaCola_KiD
Banned
posted 02 October 2003 11:40 AM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
I think its good for ES to stay with hstorical theams, AOM is kind of educational in a way and thats a draw.
alpine
Mortal
posted 02 October 2003 11:46 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
Historical themes? Then you're playing the wrong game. AoM was supposed to lean more towards fantasy directions. Keep in mind their trying to compete with Warcraft3, a far more fantasy filled game.

If you want historical themes, play AOE/AOK's

ESO Name: Commodus
Coming soon to a theater near you...

[This message has been edited by alpine (edited 10-02-2003 @ 11:51 AM).]

BanjoPickinFoo
Mortal
posted 02 October 2003 12:17 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
I'm not sure if anyone here has every read any of the Norse mythological tales, but if so, than you would know that all of the myth units on AOM have direct links to actual Norse Mythology. The same goes for Greeks, and Egyptians. So, to say they are a little too fantasy could be true for the Titan Xpack, since i dont have it yet, and i dont know Titans mythology, but as for AOM is concerned, they are fairly precise. How is it by the way? very similar to AOM? better?
El Moppo
Mortal
(id: C J)
posted 02 October 2003 02:42 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Myths imagined by ancient civliizations are a part of history, as are the civs themselves.
And as for Tartarus, this was beleived by the Greeks to be the deepest part of Erebus (the underworld, can be called Hades), where the worst of all went or sumthin' like that.

][- ][_ . ][\/][ (()) ][) ][) (())
Angelcynn > Niwe Middangeard ~ Ic

[This message has been edited by C J (edited 10-02-2003 @ 02:45 PM).]

AlphaUriel
Mortal
posted 02 October 2003 03:15 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       

Quote:

The creatures from the Tartarian Gate are straight out of "Ghostbusters." I keep expecting Zool and Gozer to show up.

lmao
Either that or Bill Murray.
I think the Atlanteans in general are kind of lame. I like the MUs, but all of the made-up troops are just kinda.. weird. Maybe it's just because I loved reading about ancient warfare and mythology that I loved the original game. Also, the Atlanteans seem like an extension of the greek civ to me. I just feel a disconnect for the Atlanteans, I would've like some Asian mythology much, much more. A different art style, and troops with some basis in history would've been nice. Also, what's up with the lame way they get favor? By holding TCs? They must have really run out of ideas if that's what they used.

Orion_Tok
Mortal
(id: Sp3ctre)
posted 02 October 2003 03:28 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11       

Quote:

I'm not sure if anyone here has every read any of the Norse mythological tales, but if so, than you would know that all of the myth units on AOM have direct links to actual Norse Mythology. The same goes for Greeks, and Egyptians. So, to say they are a little too fantasy could be true for the Titan Xpack, since i dont have it yet, and i dont know Titans mythology, but as for AOM is concerned, they are fairly precise. How is it by the way? very similar to AOM? better?

Yeah, I've 2 books on Norse Mythology and ALL that AoM says is true to the actual myths. However Loki isn't grey, and he ain't THAT evil (A lot of the time he is a very comical character, until the end!)

Hateku
Mortal
posted 02 October 2003 03:43 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
The Atlanteans just seen so different to me. I guess all the more familiar greek mythological creatures were used in the original, so the more obscure ones ended up in the xpack. I like it, don't get me wrong, but the original seemed more historical to me. The Atlanteans are way cool, I just can't figure them out yet. I'll stick to Isis for a while.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames