You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Deadly's Poll: Defenses
Bottom
Topic Subject:Deadly's Poll: Defenses
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 13 October 2001 04:59 PM EDT (US)         
How dominant do you think defense should be. To strong in beginning and Rushes are impossible. If to strong in the end the game will be a long stretched out game. (some like that) where at the end it takes a large assult to win. If not enough defences exist in the beggining, then rushes become dominant and the game lasts 15 min.( some like i that way too) If lacking in the end, attacking will be too easy, and may seem like the game ended to quickly.

I know different people like different styles of gameplay.
I know that ES will fix and balance and gameplay problems.
What i want to know is do you like defences, you are an offensive or defensive person, do you rush. Or do you like large late game battles. Thats the poll. Please answer

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
AuthorReplies:
gone_postal
Mortal
posted 13 October 2001 05:04 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14       
Hmmm. I'd like defenses to be good enough towards the end so that to defeat your enemy you need quite a big army. In other words, if you're in the last age, you can't send an army of 5 swordsmen and a myth unit to wipe out your opponent. u'd have to use siege units.
The beginning, though... hmmmm, I'd like it to be so that if someone had a bunch of high tech units in the first age, they could destroy their enemy easily with a rush, but another equal couldn't easily destroy their enemy in the first age.

He kicked me in the back
when i wasn't looking,
so I kicked him twice in the face
when he was.

gone postal

ArrangedEarth
Mortal
posted 13 October 2001 05:17 PM EDT (US)     2 / 14       
I prefer rushes, though near the end of me playing AoK, I stopped because it always ended up as a garantee win. But, if the game leans towards early attacks then everyone will be attacking early and thats what I like: "little girly battles between villagers and clubmen"

So...
Defenses in the beginning - weak
Defenses near the end - strong

A . R . R . A . N . G . E . D . E . A . R . T . H
IV1066
Mortal
posted 13 October 2001 06:11 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14       
Quote:
But, if the game leans towards early attacks then everyone will be attacking early and thats what I like: "little girly battles between villagers and clubmen"

ES has said repeatedly that they want to have meaningful fighting as quickly as possible. So there won't be 'girly battles between villagers and clubmen'. Along this vein, I hope that defense in all 3 ages are about the same, they slow the attacker down but without an army also they're useless.

deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 13 October 2001 06:23 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14       
I personally would like to have a really good defence, if you are willing to spend that much money. Its always a gamble. If really good defences cost money, then it would hurt him eventually. Its all in stradegy/gambling. Just like whether to RUSH in the beggining or not, or building a large navy, or not. Stradegy.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
simwiz2
Mortal
posted 14 October 2001 11:07 AM EDT (US)     5 / 14       
i like defense

one of the thinks i sometimes did in MP was i turtled in, got some trebs behind my walls, garrisoned korean towers, and had some korean SO's in case more trebs came. then i just built a wonder, and my opponent lost because he had a huge army, but couldnt get to the wonder i think any siege (big cataplut) that outranges fully upgraded towers should have to pack/unpack. also this big catapult should have huge attack vs buildings.

alLan Mandragoran
Mortal
posted 14 October 2001 11:22 AM EDT (US)     6 / 14       
i want rushes to be inpossible. i hate those, it doesnt show any skill other than that you can buld towers!
cornergraf
Mortal
posted 14 October 2001 11:46 AM EDT (US)     7 / 14       
I think in AoE it was perfectly balanced, defense wise.

What can i do now ?
ArrangedEarth
Mortal
posted 14 October 2001 12:37 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14       
Quote:
i want rushes to be inpossible. i hate those, it doesnt show any skill other than that you can buld towers!

Of course there is skill involved! Atleast before all the build orders came out for them, but it was a skill. Being able to micromanage your resources just right to get to the Fuedal Age real quick so that the undefended opponent can be killed easily and quickly is a skill.

This should be very different in AoM since the first age is like being in the Fuedal Age, you can make strong units including MUs and heros. You can make anti-buildings things like swordsmen and maybe siege. So attacking early wouldn't be so much of a rookie nightmare anymore.

A . R . R . A . N . G . E . D . E . A . R . T . H
DarkFlame
Mortal
posted 14 October 2001 03:09 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14       
I think defenses shouldn't be improved too much over time; a little stronger defense than AoK's in the beginning --> rushes aren't dominant anymore;
A little weaker than AoK's Fortified Walls/Keeps/Bombardtowers in the end --> no long stretch game.

In aok, defense improves like this:
Dark Age -- bullcrap
Feudal Age -- too strong for its age
Castle age -- quite well
Imperial Age -- too strong for its age

so aom should be:

1st age: defense like in Feudal Age (stone walls, easy towers)
2nd age: defense improved, but still weaker than AoK Castle Age
3rd age: defense improved, now stronger than castle age, but a little weaker than Imperial age.

Ohmigod, fancy colour fading!
I blame these purple things.
GFWL: NilePenguin
SoR_Anarchy
Mortal
posted 14 October 2001 04:59 PM EDT (US)     10 / 14       
I think dark nailed it on the head.

God Bless America.

I am the state.

simwiz2
Mortal
posted 14 October 2001 11:08 PM EDT (US)     11 / 14       
"Imperial Age -- too strong for its age"

How was Imperial defense too strong? A few trebs / BC's could make quick work of ANY defense

IV1066
Mortal
posted 15 October 2001 00:03 AM EDT (US)     12 / 14       
Quote:
In aok, defense improves like this:
Dark Age -- bullcrap
Feudal Age -- too strong for its age
Castle age -- quite well
Imperial Age -- too strong for its age

Dark Age defenses are bull-crap, but the same can be said about Dark Age offense, the militia isn't exactly terrifying. Feudal is fine, though a bit too strong, imo, although I think a weak ram should've been in this age. Castle Age is absolutely perfect. Castles are hard to bring down, but not impossible by a long shot. Imp. defenses are way too weak, trebs and bombards tear them to shreds with ridiculous ease. I hope in AoM that the top age will be balance like Castle.

Oh, and anticipating people who will say 'if feudal defense is fine why does everyone rush?', I am talking tactically. If a feudal age attacker attacks feudal age defenses, that army will be defeated. Rushing is a strategic move to engage the enemy on his own territory, and very often you end up fighting a tactical defense but a strategic offense (building towers to cover stone mines, building towers period), which is why rushing is so effective. It's a lesson ES has had drilled in it's collective head as we moved through TC pushes, rushing, forward castling, etc... that people will use powerful defense to attack as often as possible.

Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 15 October 2001 03:25 AM EDT (US)     13 / 14       
Base on the infos that ES have been given us, here is my predictions on how defenses/offenses will be like in ~AOM~:

First Age (according to ES, there will be battles in this age)

Therefore...

• You will start with more resources and vils
  • Cheaper military units
  • You can make stronger military units than Dark age in AoK
  • Some Weak God powers, if any
  • Advancing to the Next age will take longer and cost more resources than in AoK

Second Age

• Much stronger than Castle Age in AoK (more like late castle)
  • Heroes, God Powers, Mythological units will start showing up on battle field
  • Stronger, more offensive god powers, perhaps

Third Age

• Likely to be much stronger than AoK Imperial (random map)
  • Armies might resemble somewhat like (hopefully ) Deathmatch, where the size of the armies are huge
  • Even more powerful God Powers and stronger Myth Units

• simwiz2
    Mortal
    posted 15 October 2001 04:21 PM EDT (US)     14 / 14       
    if ES is worried about tower rushes, etc, then why not make towers take longer to build?
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames