You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.32 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Automaton's; Are they worth it?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Automaton's; Are they worth it?
Black Hole
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 02:29 PM EDT (US)         
Hi this is my first ever post. I was wondering if Automaton's are worth it. I mean there quiet cheap but, to me they get beaten so easily what do you think?
AuthorReplies:
jschwartz173
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 02:46 PM EDT (US)     1 / 32       
First of all, Welcome to AoMH.
Automatons are best in groups, they can retreat from the battle and heal each other, a great bonus IMO, they are semi-cheap, and do a decent job vs other myth.
gl

Member of the Orion Clan
Orion_Schwartz
Brutus1950
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 02:50 PM EDT (US)     2 / 32       
I haven't found automations yet. What and where are they???

Thanks to any replies.

Black Hole
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 02:59 PM EDT (US)     3 / 32       
They are one of Atlantean's myth unit on the titans
Vergil
Mortal
(id: Revan_)
posted 11 February 2004 03:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 32       
Dont their bodies keep other units from passing? Handy if you have a choakhold point

VergiL
The Fora Augusta
"Hey bastards, knock knock" - Sarge
"Ha, piss on that, I'm bringing a ma-cha-te!" - Putman, Club Dread
Black Hole
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 03:15 PM EDT (US)     5 / 32       
I never thought of that
zBurito
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 03:26 PM EDT (US)     6 / 32       
It depends how you use your automatons, if you are fighting an oppenent who has alot of heros then forget it as they get shredded vs heros. I dont think they are the best MU to use because like jschwartz173 said, they are good in large numbers, but alateans get favor for tc's, so you cant make ALOT till later on, if they had a tech to be more resistant vs heros they'd be way better.

ESO Name : FFR_Rusher
Zone : zBurito
FFR Forums
IamDominique
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 03:27 PM EDT (US)     7 / 32       
"Dont their bodies keep other units from passing? Handy if you have a choakhold point"

LOL - last resort to explain the use of a useless unit. By the chokehold theory every unit in the game is good - a little piece of wall must be almost OP.

Black Hole
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 03:28 PM EDT (US)     8 / 32       
I would think them more useful in defending area's
Goddess_Gaia
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 03:28 PM EDT (US)     9 / 32       
They r pretty worthless to me... I seldom seldom ever want to use them...

The Earth can satisfy our need
but She can't satisfy our greed
So use only wat u need
for nobody can tame our Mother
when She's angry
Sulphent
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 03:48 PM EDT (US)     10 / 32       
I quite like them, they make that weird grunting noise which is a bonus

Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
Vergil
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 04:06 PM EDT (US)     11 / 32       

Quote:

LOL - last resort to explain the use of a useless unit. By the chokehold theory every unit in the game is good - a little piece of wall must be almost OP.

wtf? I was commenting on something fool, not trying to say it was the best unit in the game. And your second point is plain stupidity. Do other units bodies keep the enemy from passing? No. Does a destroyed wall? No. Try to think next time

VergiL
The Fora Augusta
jwj442
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 04:14 PM EDT (US)     12 / 32       
Leto in general is really weak. Automatons aren't totally worthless, but I'd definitely put them in the bottom third of the classical myth units.
MR2 Pilot
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 04:22 PM EDT (US)     13 / 32       
Black Hole,

Welcome to the community!

About the only use I've found for Automatons is to make a group of 8 or 10 and set them on Defensive status <Alt>D, close to your TC, but don't rely solely on them.

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Black Hole
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 04:24 PM EDT (US)     14 / 32       
I made 30 but, they lost easily against normal unit's and a few myth although I was outnumbered
The Adlantean
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 05:16 PM EDT (US)     15 / 32       
there best in numbers, you attack-retreat-repair of you can. also i like to cast spider lair forward so they can run back to it i case of persuiers. also if an automation(s) is dead but you won the fight they automation bodies can be brought back to life for a certain period of time.
FriedPegasus
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 10:27 PM EDT (US)     16 / 32       
If you go Oceanus you can use the Caladria and attack-retreat-heal your whole army insted of just the slow myth unit that dies to everything.

I don't see much value in Leto at all. Nothing like hoping your enemy happens to walk on the spider eggs you planted so they can stop costing you pop space.

IamDominique
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 10:40 PM EDT (US)     17 / 32       
Seems someone has a temper issue, little Revan. You should have your mama take you there (I assume you are somewhere around 6-8 with the language and lack of wit you demonstrate in here).

Everyone knows that automatrons are some of the worst MUs and "blocking the way" is the most lame argument for buying a MU I have ever heard. You should go play with your lego instead of be in here moron.

zBurito
Mortal
posted 11 February 2004 11:56 PM EDT (US)     18 / 32       
LOL yes I have to agree, any ways, wouldnt walls just be cheaper any ways? lol

ESO Name : FFR_Rusher
Zone : zBurito
FFR Forums
Phat Fox
Mortal
posted 12 February 2004 00:06 AM EDT (US)     19 / 32       
Quote:
Seems someone has a temper issue, little Revan. You should have your mama take you there (I assume you are somewhere around 6-8 with the language and lack of wit you demonstrate in here).
Everyone knows that automatrons are some of the worst MUs and "blocking the way" is the most lame argument for buying a MU I have ever heard. You should go play with your lego instead of be in here moron.

And your big on your language. quote: lack of wit you demonstrate here.

Another perfect example Quote: Everyone knows that automatrons
...wtf is a automatron?

Quote: you should go play with your lego instead of be in here moron.
yes he is be in here that makes lots of sence. Now next time you wanna flame someone why dont you use spell checker first you F- hypocrite.

AOM Titan Info.
Rating: 1650+
Civ. : #1 Thor #2 kronos #3 Odin
ESO : Blunt_69 aka CV_KiNGPiN
ad00
Mortal
posted 12 February 2004 00:43 AM EDT (US)     20 / 32       
yes i concur :P
Vergil
Mortal
posted 12 February 2004 07:52 AM EDT (US)     21 / 32       

Quote:

1) Learn how to spell, and your arguments will have more impact.
2)I have demonstrated more wit than you have apparently, I can link you to some threads if you like.
3) I am in fact 14, you fail again.
4) I never said they were "the best", in fact they are one of the worst. But, I was merely stating one of the possiblities of the Automaton, not trying to say its the best MU ever. Get your facts straight.

VergiL
The Fora Augusta

[This message has been edited by Revan_ (edited 02-12-2004 @ 03:57 PM).]

LutherX
Mortal
posted 12 February 2004 12:27 PM EDT (US)     22 / 32       

Quote:

I don't see much value in Leto at all. Nothing like hoping your enemy happens to walk on the spider eggs you planted so they can stop costing you pop space.

What's that? Those spider eggs cost pop space? Doh!

Geez... a crappy gp just got worse....

Angel Sith
Mortal
(id: X_SithLord)
posted 12 February 2004 02:43 PM EDT (US)     23 / 32       

Quote:

Everyone knows that automatrons are some of the worst MUs and "blocking the way" is the most lame argument for buying a MU I have ever heard. You should go play with your lego instead of be in here moron

Stop acting so immature, in posting this you have actually made yourself look around 6-8. Do you expect to find wit in replies to a serious question? Revan also didn't say to buy them because they block units and create a chokepoint.

Also read Revan's list

In reply to the question, Automatons are ok in numbers but other Classical MUs are better.

Btw Black Hole, welcome to AoMH

Sith
Halo 2 Stats | AoMH | AoE3H | FMT

[This message has been edited by X_SithLord (edited 02-12-2004 @ 02:44 PM).]

jwj442
Mortal
posted 12 February 2004 04:41 PM EDT (US)     24 / 32       
You see, that's another reason I don't like Atties. In addition to the fact that they have cheesy units, their minor god "choices" are a joke. The mythic Atties minor gods are balanced (except I think it's really STUPID how Tartarian gate can instantly knock out a building), but the classical and heroic ones sure aren't.
Flames
Mortal
posted 12 February 2004 05:24 PM EDT (US)     25 / 32       

Quote:

Seems someone has a temper issue, little Revan. You should have your mama take you there

Oh ****! In order for your mama insult to become awesome and actually be good, I gotta use my time machine to go back in the 3rd grade.

I totally forgot.

Quote:

you are somewhere around 6-8 with the language and lack of wit you demonstrate in here).

That was the funniest thing I read all day.

Quote:

"blocking the way" is the most lame argument for buying a MU I have ever heard. You should go play with your lego instead of be in here moron

You're quite pathetic if you're 'dissing' somw guy over a game. Really man, get a life.

Flames
1/5 Winner of AOMH's Funniest Forumer Award

"No! Back away! I'll give you anything you want! Money? Women?... Men?"- Stewie

PrtN_Gh0sT
Mortal
posted 12 February 2004 06:51 PM EDT (US)     26 / 32       
lol. Disputes over this kind of stuff is always funny because you get nowhere. Fact is automatons arent all that good and thats that no matter what you do with them.

\~~~~~---|.:PrtN_Gh0sT:.|---~~~~~/
"Believe you can, Believe you can't...... either way your right"

[This message has been edited by PrtN_Gh0sT (edited 02-12-2004 @ 06:51 PM).]

Vergil
Mortal
posted 12 February 2004 07:01 PM EDT (US)     27 / 32       
Maybe so, but I was merely stating that they had a rather "interesting" use to them. That doesnt automatically mean that I think they're super use-full

VergiL
The Fora Augusta
Dummie
Mortal
posted 12 February 2004 07:04 PM EDT (US)     28 / 32       
they sure are because they are cheap
Etendorf
Mortal
posted 12 February 2004 07:27 PM EDT (US)     29 / 32       
I don't know. I think they are great supplements to an army if used right. They are cheap. I don't see them used very well because they always have more automatons than anything else, and that isn't ever a good idea. (except maybe against gaia while using cheiros?)

Nick: Eten.
Gods: All of them!
Vanilla.
Magnum Pi
Mortal
posted 12 February 2004 08:51 PM EDT (US)     30 / 32       

Quote:

Those spider eggs cost pop space? Doh!

You get the pop back, once they hatch .

Quote:

If your going to flame, with no point, go kill yourself. We have enough flaming on in GD forums anywayz!

[This message has been edited by Magnum Pi (edited 02-12-2004 @ 08:55 PM).]

Mark_Aurel
Mortal
posted 12 February 2004 09:26 PM EDT (US)     31 / 32       
It seems to me that people aren't quite considering the proper way to use Leto. Her god power and MU works very nicely with a defensive boom strategy.

Automatons aren't really all that statwise - but they're very good if you can hold the ground they fought on after the battle. Thus, they're generally better in a defensive position than an offensive one. If you put your automatons in a position where they can't rebuild each other, they suck, of course.

US_Terror
Mortal
posted 12 February 2004 09:49 PM EDT (US)     32 / 32       
Automan's are great!!!!! But only if:
--You have a lot of favor income
--You have a lot of resources to waste
--You get over 10 in a group
--You know how to micro them really well (i.e. repair)
--You have some archers backing them up
--You have too much free population space

If you have all of the above things, then yeah they work great and are worth it.

But that is if you are still an atlantean player, that has not yet figured out that they stink.

O! well look at that, the highest ranked player that uses atlanteen over 50% of the time, and wins with him is ranked:37, o look at that RANK 37.

poor nebie, and the top 4 players are isis, guess what civ. is proved to be really good (ISIS)

(¯`·._.~UI3EI2 sh0ck~._.·´¯)

US_Terror

Ubershock Webpage
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames