You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Realistic Suggestions
Bottom
Topic Subject:Realistic Suggestions
DrathDragonbane
Mortal
posted 16 April 2004 06:30 AM EDT (US)         
Here is some realistic suggestions involving the functionality of the multiplayer system and GUI. Some of these may be considered bugs, and probably all of you should agree with me that these things are completely annoying, and should be fixed (or added).

- Should be able to change between public/private while game is already created.

- Should be able to change slots in scenarios while game is already created (this will also get rid of scenario swapping bug to create more/less slots).

- Should be able to change game name while game is already created.

- Should should be able to expand mapname tab, or mapname to appear in game information. (some map names are longer, and cannot see the rest of the name and or different versions).

- When a player disconnects during loading (past loading countdown) it should not exit all players to menu screen.

- When a there is a sync error, it should not exit all players to menu screen, and really should not force people to restart game completely.

- Show others download progress, not just hosts view, globally.

- Should get choice of making another instance of a different version of a map, with the same name, not just overwrite, or not download at all. Exmaple: You have the map "Blabla", and when you choose to download an edited version, with the same name, make another instance (if you choose to) by using "BlaBla(1)" or affixing some other prefix/sufix.

- View games list while you are hosting, or inside a game room. So you can go into other rooms without losing your spot from just checking if there is a better game.

- Set password for scenarios. This one would help me, and other designers greatly. I have made several maps, and if you play scenarios alot, you prolly have heard of Build a Titan, which is my map. Some people have been rude enough to not only edit it, and take the same name as mine, but also bug the map up completely so it is unfair. Password locking scenarios put a stop to these idiots once and for all (need password to edit).

These are realistic, and in my opinion should be added. If you can think of some other annoyances, please post them. I am interested to see what you guys can think of.

[This message has been edited by DrathDragonbane (edited 04-18-2004 @ 06:47 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
tHuNdErBoLtZ
Mortal
posted 16 April 2004 07:22 AM EDT (US)     1 / 15       
It would be nice, yes.

Quote:

Show others download progress.

Hosts can see others download progress.

tHuNdErBoLtZ
Once known as Servant_ofKronos
"I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. I am President of the United States, and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli." - George Bush
"To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer." - Farmer's Almanac, 1978

NIB
Mortal
posted 16 April 2004 08:34 AM EDT (US)     2 / 15       

Quote:

- Should be able to change between public/private while game is already created.

You can do this. There is an option under the game title. Only the host can do this.

Quote:

- Should be able to change slots while game is already created (this will also get rid of scenario swapping bug to create more/less slots).

Ehm? You can increase and decrease the ammount of slots in a game even after the game is created. Only the host can do this.

Quote:

- When a there is a sync error, it should not exit all players to menu screen, and really should not force people to restart game completely.

OOS = Out of sync. This means that 2 or more players had different data(for example you see me having 2 spearmen while i see myself having 3 spearmen). Thus you dont know who actually has the wrong data. In any case, the host can rehost the game and load the game(with his version of data). Then he can reinvite every1 and they will dl the host's version of data and start the game from where it stopped.

At least thats in theory. I have never done it and all the times that i tried, it failed.

Quote:

- Show others download progress.

The host can see it.

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

[This message has been edited by NIB (edited 04-16-2004 @ 08:36 AM).]

DrathDragonbane
Mortal
posted 16 April 2004 02:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 15       
For the download progress thing, I mean that everybody can see the download progresses of everybody. It's almost every game that I see somebody whinning and spamming to start the game, when he doesn't know somebody is still downloading.

There is the options buttons for public/private under the game title, but I can't select them, can anybody else?

Sorry about changing slots, I meant to say for scenario based maps. I realize they are based on what is set on the scenario, but sometimes people decide there is too many player slots on a scenario, wouldn't it be nice to overide the player slots if possible?

And I realize what an OOS is, I have no problem with it, exept that ofcourse it kicks you to the main screen, then forces you to restart the game, that is unnecessary in my mind.

BLAUWROOD
Mortal
posted 16 April 2004 02:36 PM EDT (US)     4 / 15       

Quote:

- Should be able to change game name while game is already created.

yea meh would like to c this coz sometimes me change a 2vs2 into 3vs3 or norsewars into ehm supremacy game and then i want to change servername coz if server name says
BLAUWROOD - Norsewars
and me and my friend dont wanan play nw but uhm dm its easier if u just could change servername instead of canceling the game and start over even tho it only takes a few secs ( but sometimes ppl too lazy to rejoin hehe )

[This message has been edited by BLAUWROOD (edited 04-16-2004 @ 02:37 PM).]

NIB
Mortal
posted 16 April 2004 06:42 PM EDT (US)     5 / 15       

Quote:

There is the options buttons for public/private under the game title, but I can't select them, can anybody else?

Yes the host.

Quote:

Sorry about changing slots, I meant to say for scenario based maps. I realize they are based on what is set on the scenario, but sometimes people decide there is too many player slots on a scenario, wouldn't it be nice to overide the player slots if possible?

No cause they arent random maps(rm) thus they cant automatically adapt the map to the ammount of players that participate in the scenario. You could add ai in those spots to fill them in though and start the game.

Quote:

And I realize what an OOS is, I have no problem with it, exept that ofcourse it kicks you to the main screen, then forces you to restart the game, that is unnecessary in my mind.

Not really. OOS could be caused cause your computer had a perfomance problem. For you could have run out of memory and started using page file, or maybe something is screwed in aom. Restarting aom is a must for oos cause without restarting, oos could happen again(theoritically).

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 16 April 2004 07:11 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15       

Quote:

The host can see it.

He meant the other people in the game (Excluding the host). That would be a nice feature, yes. I hate having to listen to the host say, "Just a min..still d/ling"

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
the_protagonist
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 10:18 AM EDT (US)     7 / 15       
That would be good. Especially on maps like world map.

I am the late Gimpy_the_Dwarf
For what-ever reason my old name does not work...whatever.
The time of the Dwarves has Come
GO_GimpyDwarf
Villi
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 11:25 AM EDT (US)     8 / 15       
- Make the host able to write "info" of the game, without the players having to enter the game and hear everything from the host (Like on the good 'ol zone )

I think FOG.

[This message has been edited by Villi (edited 04-18-2004 @ 11:26 AM).]

The_Mafia_Man
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 03:48 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15       
it woyld be good if you could see on the side of chtrooms how many peple are in your game room. for instance...

I am in game but there is only me and the host so i go to chat room 1. Whilst in the chatroom i can see on the side of my screen how many ppl there are in the game room like to start with there could be 2/6 but as ppl ome it woulg go up 3/6 4/6...

just an idea BTW

DrathDragonbane
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 06:48 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15       
Added two new sugestions, that are some of the best on the list I think .
Johnny_Deppig
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 06:54 PM EDT (US)     11 / 15       
The last one gets two thumbs up from me. Im not sure if its common, but i think Ive had hacked versions of a map dled over my correct ones. Bleh

[This message has been edited by Johnny_Deppig (edited 04-18-2004 @ 06:55 PM).]

Fiyastone
Mortal
posted 19 April 2004 06:29 PM EDT (US)     12 / 15       
For the viewing of other game rooms while you are still in a game... a program call AomXTools will allow you to look at game rooms w/ out even being on AoM or while you are on, look up player stats, look at your taunts, view recorded game details... only set back is you have to have .Net framework version 1.1 ... if it aint already on your computer, you can get it from the windows update site... as for AomXTools , it is right here on this site TitanTools.. it is created by chrisso_ger an I usually boot it up every time i go on the computer to see who is playing and if there are any good games going on..
Fiyastone
Mortal
posted 19 April 2004 06:36 PM EDT (US)     13 / 15       
on a side note.. (forgot in last post)... i do believe that senarios should b locked from editting, but i also believe people have the right to edit any senario as they see fit... i think that the pass for it should only protect the file from being written in the same name and if they person chooses a different name for it, the senario should have an automatic, undeletable trigger which shows original author's name which is inclueded w/ the lock...
Thors_hammer_256
Mortal
posted 19 April 2004 09:58 PM EDT (US)     14 / 15       
don't forget that all these technical problems are farely difficult to fix considering that they are more than just gameplay bugs and that everyone has different computers with different programs running on them and with different viruses on them that may impact on the running of AOM.
discordant
Mortal
posted 19 April 2004 10:12 PM EDT (US)     15 / 15       
I would really like to be able to change the volume settings while logged in to multiplayer.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames