You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Are strongholds (fortresses, palaces) worth their cost?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Are strongholds (fortresses, palaces) worth their cost?
OnlyUsernameLeft
Mortal
posted 17 April 2004 08:14 AM EDT (US)         
My new civ is hades (no I don't cheat I found his civ rox like maya so I can go to FT with him and the aphrodite tech that improves building speed).

So are towers and fortresses worth their cost and should I spam them??

AuthorReplies:
Psycho_Mani4c
Mortal
posted 17 April 2004 08:39 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
It's not only the building itself, but also the units that you can make in fortresses which are nice, like the catapults, all heroes (no need for idle TC time) and gastraphetes etc, also some techs...

+ when you are hades, and your buildings have more HP and more attack it sure as hell is worth investing in them...

Look at it this way... You make a fortress which costs you 300 wood and 300 gold... you need to kill 6 enemy archers with that fortress to regain the cost (favor excluded)... so everything it kills after that, is your net gain...

AOE3 @ SM4RTASS

Dominating with: The French
HC: Le Moule
Explorer: Ze Chauvenist

Pug
Mortal
posted 17 April 2004 08:52 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
Yes, its a great way to claim territory. Place them near middle gold mines etc. Especially if your fting. You will want as much def as you can possibly get. Its the only way youll get seige too. Of course as hades you can just use Gasts. And if your fting, you can make heros outa fortresses and keep auto quing vills from all tcs.

R.I.P Shiva
lessthanjakeman9
Mortal
posted 17 April 2004 09:50 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
when i used to use hades the fortress was a main part of my strategy. Id get a pretty quick heroic then plop a fortress close enough to their base that petroboli can hit thier buildings from under it. Id have a popped out army and between that and the load of arrows i got from the fortress i was almost unbeatable in battle. And if they delayed fighting me their whole base would be razed by petroboli.
Demolition Ship Captain
Mortal
posted 17 April 2004 08:07 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
the main reason I see to make fortresses is to pump out units like the helipolis, and to have another point where you can build a hero (by the time you make fortresses you should already have multiple TCs to build heroes from anyway)

having the extra arrows isn't bad though, and their critical if you want to go for a wonder.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Preparation can only take you so far... After that you gotta take a few leaps of faith.
Ireland_Raven
Mortal
posted 17 April 2004 08:36 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
i try putting them near my TCs as they provide excellent protection surrounded by barracks and towers etc.

HaHaHa OoOoOOoOoOoO ooooOOOO00000OOOoooo
Kronos is Good ,Oranos Is good ,But I am oh so excellent
EC_firesaiyan
Mortal
posted 17 April 2004 08:52 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
yea their worth it u can protech gold mines or even ur base or just set them up around opp base

[This message has been edited by EC_firesaiyan (edited 04-17-2004 @ 08:54 PM).]

OnlyUsernameLeft
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 00:19 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
So its gonna be like RON where 2 villies compete to build a tower. First one to build and finish it kills the other villie.
biggestbal
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 07:30 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
for norse hillforts,it's totally ridiculous for worth to build one!i think greeks castle is worth to build beacuse we can get the catapult which is a very good siege engine.ans so as atlanteans
Psycho_Mani4c
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 07:46 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Norse hill forts are fine, because they make Jarls and Huskarls + Rams, which you will definately need, also norse do not have to waste villager walking/gathering time to build one, so it costs you even less than 250 w/g, also they build a lot faster and cost half the favor...

AOE3 @ SM4RTASS

Dominating with: The French
HC: Le Moule
Explorer: Ze Chauvenist

Antz
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 08:11 AM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Making fotresses/hill forts/migdols/palaces and their units is the main reason to go heroic IMO.

The best clan ever is TOAO Clan!
foxxbat
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 11:07 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
anyone ever tried to build an empty square of walls and then filled it up with toxotes? I find it really works nicely as hades, 1 archery range inside also helps

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diem nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut lacreet dolore magna aliguam erat volutpat. Ut wisis enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tution ullam corper suscipit lobortis nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Amat te meum amat te felis meum. I am a true believer
Orion_Tok
Mortal
(id: Sp3ctre)
posted 18 April 2004 02:31 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
^lol I thought of doing this once. Pretty good idea until the wall gets smashed and the Tox's get massacred...

Proud member of the Orion Clan
Orion_Tok
Check out my Japanese Civilisation Design Here!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames