You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, That AoM Guy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.23 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » What in your opinion, is the worst GP?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What in your opinion, is the worst GP?
RespectUrElders
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 07:37 PM EDT (US)         
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this wonderful forum of yours, and I was wondering what evryone thought was the worst A) Archaic God Power, B) Special/Unique Technology and C) Worst God Power from any other age. Here's my two cents:

Worst Archaic GP- Poseidon's lure. It basically allows you to attract a few animals to where ever you put the stone, but it also attracts bears, lions and so forth. The reason I think it's so bad is that you could just get your scout to find some animals elsewhere, and move them there instead. This GP just doesn't match up with the rest.

Worst Tech- Set's feral. It boosts some already crappy animals. It just doesn't do a whole heck of a lot. Unless I'm actually missing the true power of a baboon, but I somehow doubt that.

Worst Minor God Power: Oceanus' Carnivora. It is easily killed by just about everything (especially archers)and rarelly kills much. You do get to cast it 3 (or 4?) times, but it still does very little...

Anyways, I hope to get to know you all, and look forward to see what you have to say.

Cheers!

AuthorReplies:
Th3_MaX_
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 07:50 PM EDT (US)     1 / 23       
I'm a Deathmatch player so I dont know about Tech's very much.. But the worst Archaic God Power is by far Odin's. It just makes a copy of an animal.. I think if you need to use that God Power at all, it shows youre in bad shape. Move your villies to a spot where you dont need to worry about sparsity of food.

Worst Minor God power is the one where Greeks can turn soldiers into pigs. It does nothing, and the only thing it effects is human soldiers, and only changes 3 or 4. By far the worst..

ИιĢђТмΆгέЅ Άгέ ώђΆт Ι΄м ΜαĎέ δF
Jet_Set_Jim
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 07:52 PM EDT (US)     2 / 23       
I also think that the worst archaic gp is lure. Compared say to prosperity, you're always onto a loser. (Whilst you didn't ask, my favorite is bolt - can defend against a rush, kill an SoO or a nidhogg, or screw a norse dock build... or best of all simply send your scout over to their TC and nuke a villager).

The worst tech I think is Gaia's "Channels" thingy. I never seem to have the resources to use it until it's not so worthwhile... (Favorite tech is Skin of the Rhino - it's tough to raid Ra when his villagers have had their spinach).

AND the worst minor GP is in my opinion also - carnivora. It's an unimpressive plant that dies quicker than my the ones in my flat. (Although SoO as Ra is pretty terrible if you're playing Zeus - ZAP!).

Once or twice I've managed to use ceasefire to counter Ancestors, then bolt to kill the SoO (against Isis here) in one game. That drives the opponent nuts as your classical and archaic GPs have countered their heroic and mythic ones. Leaving you with, say, lightning storm and bronze to go into battle unanswered...

I've done a lot of things that I'm not proud of.
And the things that I am proud of are disgusting.
ca_aok
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 07:57 PM EDT (US)     3 / 23       

Quote:

I'm a Deathmatch player so I dont know about Tech's very much.. But the worst Archaic God Power is by far Odin's. It just makes a copy of an animal.. I think if you need to use that God Power at all, it shows youre in bad shape. Move your villies to a spot where you dont need to worry about sparsity of food.

If you didnt play DM, you'd know that this GP is NOT the worst, as it gives you an early food boost. The worst GP has got to be chaos, lol.

|Ca_aok|HG Seraph wannabe|
|{ca_aok@hotmail.com}|
|{ESO2: [EEX] ca_aok}|
O-- Member of EEX, and former member of LKS --O
In the Darkness, there is Light, in the Old, there is New.
From the Void a New Star rises, Shining down for Me and You.
EC_firesaiyan
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 08:38 PM EDT (US)     4 / 23       
ok most of them are the antties carnivora take it out with archers
valor omg this 1 sucks
chaos
traitor
curse
jazzman_1
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 08:55 PM EDT (US)     5 / 23       
Carnivora helps with hunting heavy animals. You can assign 1 or 2 villies on elephant hunting (where normally youd require more) with a carnivora helping to take it down. Also, it is instant, as opposed to something like spiders lair which takes a while to become effective. If u time carnivora right, u can eat at least one unit with it before it dies. Getting rid of 1 important unit early on can make a difference.

Also, throwing it in the middle of an uprotected archer group can throw ur opponent off too.

[This message has been edited by jazzman_1 (edited 04-18-2004 @ 08:55 PM).]

jazzman_1
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 08:57 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23       
Gaia's channels significantly increase the speed of the pitifully slow atty villagers. This can be the difference between garrisoning them in your town center safely or losing a few on a rush. Also, if you hunt all over the map it can cut down on some serious lag time between hunts.
Pete_222
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 09:29 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23       
Welcome to AoMH, RespectUrElders!

I pretty much agree with you on the weak GPs, except IMO Plauge of Serpents is even weaker than a Carnivora.

- Pete

iam_Chrono_J
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 10:41 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23       
Lure is incredibly useful, but then again, you can't expect players who don't know how important walking time to realize that.

Worst archaic GP= none really. They can all be useful or useless depending on how they're used.

Worst Classical GP= Spider Lair. 12 insant kills on normal units; would be ok if the recharge time was improved. And even then, it'd be rare to even catch 6 enemy soldiers...

Worst Heroic GP= Chaos. It has its uses, but they are minimal.

Worst Mythic GP= Nidhogg. Might as well be a flying chicken.

[This message has been edited by iam_Chrono_J (edited 04-18-2004 @ 10:42 PM).]

PrtN_lummir
Mortal
posted 18 April 2004 11:21 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23       

Quote:

Mythic GP= Nidhogg. Might as well be a flying chicken.

hehe

a flying chicken that makes a decent raider.... if you consider raiding importantin mythic. Still I would hate to see it be too much stronger.

Thors_hammer_256
Mortal
posted 19 April 2004 00:04 AM EDT (US)     10 / 23       
IMO there is no worst archaic GP.
The worst archaic tech is probably Odin's or loki's, they are pretty useless! so is set's animals.

Curse and chaos are the worst i think.

Amon_Ra121
Mortal
posted 19 April 2004 00:10 AM EDT (US)     11 / 23       

Quote:

The worst archaic tech is probably Odin's or loki's

whao, how?!?! Great Hunt gives you more free food and Spy is like a permenant vision!!

Melkor_
Mortal
posted 19 April 2004 03:23 AM EDT (US)     12 / 23       
Why do you think curse is one of the worst?? That gives a hades/possy like 8 free kills instantly which will turn the tide of any battle.

And he descended upon Arda in power and majesty greater than any other of the Valar, as a mountain that wades in the sea and has its head above the clouds and is clad in ice and crowned with smoke and fire; and the light of eyes of Melkor was like a flame that withers with heat and pierces with a deadly cold. - Tolkien
Eso Names: NoFx__Melkor beryl_acumen
Thors_hammer_256
Mortal
posted 19 April 2004 03:36 AM EDT (US)     13 / 23       

Quote:

whao, how?!?! Great Hunt gives you more free food and Spy is like a permenant vision!!

Let's have another look at what i said

"The worst archaic tech is probably Odin's or loki's"

Read before you go flaming.

Quote:

Why do you think curse is one of the worst?? That gives a hades/possy like 8 free kills instantly which will turn the tide of any battle.

because compared to Gp's like bronze, flaming weapons, frost and walking woods (which have a much better chance of turning the tide of the battle) it's not that good.

[This message has been edited by Thors_hammer_256 (edited 04-19-2004 @ 03:38 AM).]

bitbroosher
Mortal
posted 19 April 2004 06:43 AM EDT (US)     14 / 23       
Hi all,

Quote:

because compared to Gp's like bronze, flaming weapons, frost and walking woods (which have a much better chance of turning the tide of the battle) it's not that good.

Why do you think that a GP NEED to turn the tide of a battle/game to be effective?
If you think so, then Cidadel should be among the worst GP ever, because it don't have any really offensive use, it just makes your TC better, and opens space for only 10 pop (witch I use to get 10 villagers/caravans). As a Set player, I would pick Cidadel over Ancestors any day.

And I agree that there is no worst GP, instead there is GPs with less direct options to use than others.
For example: Lure. Sure it's not as great as Prosperity, but it can bring you near 1000 food in archaic and most of this food is Huntable, witch means also that you can get it faster.

And about the techs, I can say there is no worst tech. It's all about focus.
My God Path is usually Ptah+Sekhmet+Horus, for the best eggy rax units and CA/Siege (just a focus), and all the techs that comes with this god-path is helping me in my objective: Kill the enemy, using mainly rax units/siege and I can use CAs as a ranged siege (Burning Picth and Bone Bow), since they can outrange TCs and castles and can do extra damage to buildings.
And about the norse one that give +2 LoS to all human units, it can be very effective if that player likes to raid, just becuse he can see if there is units coming sooner, or walk less to spot an undefended gold pile, and so on.
Of course if there is a tech that don't help you in your focus, you will believe that this tech is useless. But why not think these "useless" techs as a Bunus you get, once you are really focused, this tech helps out indirectly, while others will help you directly in your focus.

Regards,
bitbroosher.

PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 19 April 2004 07:12 AM EDT (US)     15 / 23       
Worst civ: Gaia, so weak.

Worst gp: chaos. Uber weak, it should be boosted imo.
Spider liar is also pretty useless, you can evade the webs and the cocoons get easily destroyed.

Psycho_Mani4c
Mortal
posted 19 April 2004 01:41 PM EDT (US)     16 / 23       
Traitor is definately not weak, just find a chimera or a colossus / mummy or any other ownage myth unit and make it yours, this is even better than bolting it, since it will fight FOR you and inflict more damage... compared to others it may be worse, but it sure IS handy

the worst tech is probably Set's feral, because the animals still suck...

worst GP, i would say gaia's forest, because there are plenty of trees everywhere already

AOE3 @ SM4RTASS

Dominating with: The French
HC: Le Moule
Explorer: Ze Chauvenist

elYo
Mortal
posted 19 April 2004 02:39 PM EDT (US)     17 / 23       
Traitor is IMO the best heroic/classical/archaic GP for attie, exept favor and possibly hesperides tree. if ur opponent attacks u.. u have a fortress/midgol etc. His bringing his mountain giant to slain your Fortress among with his army, RC and say... Ulfs or Ta.. take that montain giant and his attack is useless..

Or say u were the attack and u took his mountain giant among with your behemoth u will destroy the entire base, if his and ur army r fighting..

This is my sig.
Thors_hammer_256
Mortal
posted 19 April 2004 09:53 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23       

Quote:

Why do you think that a GP NEED to turn the tide of a battle/game to be effective?

i don't, i was just telling melkor why i think they are not very good god powers compared to other heroic god powers.

Quote:

worst GP, i would say gaia's forest, because there are plenty of trees everywhere already

If you've ever played gaia you would know that those forests come in handy, especially in classical age for defence and boosted economy, and ESPECIALLY ON WATER MAPS.

zBurito
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 00:01 AM EDT (US)     19 / 23       
Well Curse doesnt kill so many because look at what else the godess gives you, the best god damn economic tech there is, and, a tech to get favor faster. ES didnt just go giving out techs and any god power. You might not have bronze or flaming weapons, but they wont have the best eco tech in the game. Aphrodite isnt ment to go majorly change the battle, but just have some effect, her main bonus goes to to the villagers, collecting more and faster, and getting favor faster (to help economy which leads to more resources, which leads to more unit production and spare resources).

ESO Name : FFR_Rusher
Zone : zBurito
FFR Forums

[This message has been edited by zBurito (edited 04-20-2004 @ 00:02 AM).]

G3_
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 01:15 AM EDT (US)     20 / 23       
Carnivora is the worser GP even that is the only unit with crush attack that Gaia get in classical.

Spiderlairs can kill more units than Carnivora if they aren't used in a dumb way. They even help to keep LOS of a small area when not triggered.

Chaos is more powerful than Spiderslair. Is like an instant kill and in most cases help you to kill more units. Just make sure there is one MU where you cast it to get the most from it.

Traitor is pretty good if you use it the right way. Atties MU aren't very strong, but with Traitor you can get 2 Einherjar or 2 Hydras or 2 Chimeras. If you have Caladrias they could live a lot if you move them to the back asap when they are getting attacked.

[This message has been edited by G3_ (edited 04-20-2004 @ 08:05 AM).]

Thors_hammer_256
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 02:09 AM EDT (US)     21 / 23       
@ zBurito: the topic is not the worst minor god, if that was the topic i would say horus, but it is the worst GOD POWER. I agree that aphrodite has some useful techs, but i think her god power just isn't as good as other heroic god powers.
lessthanjakeman9
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 03:29 PM EDT (US)     22 / 23       
A. Lure. Its useful but the other ones are just better
B. Eyes in the forest or Lone Wanderer. No one ever gets them
C. Plague of serpents
zBurito
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 04:38 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23       
Well thats what decides on the effectivness of god powers, im just saying the reason why curse might not be as good as bronze or flaming weapons, is because Aphrodite isnt a war god. And about which is the worst, it all depends on the state your in. Just say you need a bit of time to rebuild because you just lost a war and the remaining left over army is coming, then, Frost would be the best, because it would stop the whole army and give you a minute, posibly making the army turn around after, where as Thors gold mine wont save you at that moment. There is no worst god power, they all just need to be used at the right time.

Theres no point in : using rain if you or you allies arnt farming, using prosparity if you arnt mining, using dwarven mine if you have gold all around you, using great hunt on the smallest pile of food (bigger food piles multiply to more), using meteror shower in your own base, and same for the rest of the powers in different scenarios.

ESO Name : FFR_Rusher
Zone : zBurito
FFR Forums
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames