You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » What graphic card is enough?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What graphic card is enough?
Fobulous
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 08:11 AM EDT (US)         
Hey all.

I have a brand new Dell Poweredge 400SC here
Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz HT with 800FSB!
1.0 GB Ram PC3200 at 400Mhz!
Oh forgot to mention I also have a brand new Hitachi LCD with 16ms response time, i think it'll be enough to play AOM type of RTS games.
the Graphic card that came with the system is not very good, 8MB Ram ATI PCI , I'm considering of getting a new card but, i like the 128MB Ati Radeon 9800 Pro..but the price is still a little high for me. I know this game will play on 32MB Video Card but is the 9800 Pro a little overkill??
what card do y'all have?

tia

[This message has been edited by Fobulous (edited 04-20-2004 @ 08:13 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Pete_222
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 08:35 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
The 9800 Pro I don't reccomend at all, due to its high price, plus ATi doesn't make good cards anyway.

If you can get your hands on a nVidia GF 4 Ti 4600 (my card), that would be my suggestion.
If not, something like a GF FX 5600 would work well.

I tried the FX 5950, and if you really want a high end card, wait until the Geforce 6800 is released. The 5950 really isn't enough of a improvement to justify its huge cost.

Be sure to stay away from any ATi card, the Geforce MX series, and the FX 5200.

- Pete

NIB
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 09:07 AM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
You dont need an ati 9800pro to play aom, but i would definetely advise it as a card to play other more demanding games.

Quote:

The 9800 Pro I don't reccomend at all, due to its high price, plus ATi doesn't make good cards anyway.

9800 pro has a very good price/perfomance ratio. And ati does make the best cards right now. I wont even bother to argue with you cause .....

Quote:

....this proves that you have no idea about graphic cards.

Quote:

If you can get your hands on a nVidia GF 4 Ti 4600 (my card), that would be my suggestion.

Geforce 4 ti have been withdrawn from the market(not very easy to find). Still the geforce 4 ti 4200 is damn cheap(like 90$) and it is pretty fast too. It isnt dx9 compliant though, so on dx9 games you will be missing a lot of eye candy and wont have that good perfomance either(this isnt cause geforce ti 4200 isnt dx9 but cause it isnt fast enough for the new gen games).

So conclusion. If you want to get a cheap and decent card, get a geforce 4 ti 4200. This card is more than enough for aom. If you really want to get a high end card now, ati 9800 pro(200$) is your only choice. But in a couple months, a new generation of cards will come out from both ati and nvidia. The nvidia 6800 cards are really promising and now we have to wait for ati's response to see whether nvidia made a comeback after the complete failure of the fx series.

PS I am pretty sure that the 6800 wont run on your dellcrap. Why do ppl even bother buying dell? The 6800 requires at least a 480W psu and i doubt dell uses that strong psu on their computers.

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

Fobulous
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 09:35 AM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
thanks for the replies! and [user=nib] i got this dell for $300 and you are right about the PSU. Dell's PSU is actually not bad at all.

400SC is one of the sweetest deal around last month.

anyway i'll look into this ti4200.

Teddy_Horse
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 09:51 AM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
You must change your card. That built-on card is very weak for this game .
If you want a silent machine go with an Ati Radeon 9600. Also you can go with some mid range NVidias. They are all just fine. If you are thinking on the long run (upgrades etc) go with the 9800pro. I would not recommend the 9800XT due to its extreme high price. Also you can go with the 5950U as mentioned above but not the 5950XT because that is a mid-range card however it has a nice price/performance ratio. (in case of Ati XT means the upper category but incase of Nvidia XT means lower-end cards).
However they are just overclocked and noisy cards and they were designed to hide the technology problems compared to Ati. Honestly the FX series was not the great success of Nvidia.
However I would wait some weeks because 6800 is coming to the shops and ATI's R420 is going to be released soon (end of this month). That will definetly drop the price and you can buy a 9800pro for the price of the 9600. Actualy 9800 will be the 9600 card (moves from high-end to mid-end).

When I bought my 9800pro (I had a GF2-GTS before and I really loved it) I decided upon the noise level. I payed more for less noise.

Please note that some cards perform better in one game than in another. For instance ATI is very bad in Battlefield Vietnam.

Quote:

Be sure to stay away from any ATi card

WTF? :s
ATIs were the best cards in the last 18 months. Now 6800 got the lead but please do not forget Moore's law. It was just the time for Nvidia to double the performance.

My computer beats me in chess. But I am much better in kick-box...
GREEN CERTIFICATE: this message contains recycling electrons
Rookierookie
Banned
posted 20 April 2004 09:51 AM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
9800Pro is a good choice.

btw, correct me if I'm wrong...but last time I saw the name "poweredge" in a Dell ad, it was advertised as a server...

EDIT:

Quote:

the Graphic card that came with the system is not very good, 8MB Ram ATI PCI

Ah no I wasn't wrong.

Quote:

$200 is high?

Quote:

*gargles blood*

Quote:

Geforce 4 ti have been withdrawn from the market(not very easy to find). Still the geforce 4 ti 4200 is damn cheap(like 90$) and it is pretty fast too.

I have seen shops that sell Ti series

Quote:

PS I am pretty sure that the 6800 wont run on your dellcrap.

Why?

The 6800 is really crazy... what was its 3Dmark03 score, 13000?

btw, you really should stay away from the 5200, and the next generation of low-end cards. The current nforce integrated and Ati 9100 IGP perform quite close to low-end cards, and the next generation of Intel Extreme Graphics 3 outperforms the PCI-E version of the 5200. The only thing that the low-end cards will be offering for the next 6 months is independent memory.

[This message has been edited by Rookierookie (edited 04-20-2004 @ 09:58 AM).]

Fobulous
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 10:03 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
yes it is a server.
http://www.aaltonen.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8

i'm looking into 9800 pro.. while playing a little AOM on my Dell laptop..

badger_of_set
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 10:14 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
I bought the Ti4600 roughly one year ago and it performs exceptionally well for AOM. I can run the game on high detail and it has never lagged for me on ESO. I have a 2.0 P4 with 500MB RAM, so a Ti4600 should be just fine for your system. I think I paid about $300 for the Ti4600, but I'm not sure about that (may have been less then that.) I assume that it would be much cheaper now. I'm sure you could find it on the internet somewhere if your local store doesn't carry it.

I think paying $300 for a good graphics card (if you want to get a newer one now) is not out of line and certainly will give you the most "bang for your buck" in enhancing your game playing experience. I can say for sure that the 8MB card will fail miserably in most of today's RTS games.

discordant
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 12:59 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
Really depends if you want to play more demanding games now or in the near future, or if AoM and similar are going to be all you play.

If only AoM and other non-demanding games, any $100-$150 nVidia or ATI card will be fine. Look for the nVidia 5400 or Radeon 9200 or 9600.

If you want to play games like BF1942 and Fry Cry as well, I'd recommend going with a Radeon 9700, 9700 Pro, 9800, or 9800 Pro. If you can buy online (i.e., with a credit card), you can find them pretty cheap at www.pricewatch.com -- Just stay away from any with an SE in the name (i.e., ATI Radeon 9800 SE), those are crippled cards that are comperable in performance to, say, a nVidia 5400 or Radeon 9600.

Hope this helps.

Antz
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 01:26 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
AoT requiers 16 mb 3D card so...

I have ATi Radeon 9800 Pro and it is a very good one!

The best clan ever is TOAO Clan!

[This message has been edited by Antz (edited 04-20-2004 @ 01:27 PM).]

MR2 Pilot
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 01:47 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
I'm using the Radeon 9700 (not the pro version) and it handels everything I've thrown at it with ease. AoM is no problem for it at all.

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
NIB
Mortal
posted 20 April 2004 02:54 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
****ing great. My post is lost cause my computer is gay. God, now i have to retype it.

Quote:

Dell's PSU is actually not bad at all

Actually they are bad, but this isnt the point. There is no way 480W rated and i doubt they can handle a 6800, especially if you have prescott.

Quote:

If you want a silent machine go with an Ati Radeon 9600.

Saphire has a 9800 pro without any fans.

Quote:

Also you can go with the 5950U as mentioned above but not the 5950XT because that is a mid-range card however it has a nice price/performance ratio. (in case of Ati XT means the upper category but incase of Nvidia XT means lower-end cards).

There is only 1 5950. What you are trying to say is 5900. 5900 comes into 3(or 4 according to others) versions. The ultra, the non ultra and the XT. The 5900XT isnt a bad card, its pretty fast and cheap. The thing is that 9800 pro is faster(and on some occasions a lot faster) and costs only a little more.

That will definetly drop the price and you can buy a 9800pro for the price of the 9600. Actualy 9800 will be the 9600 card (moves from high-end to mid-end).

Nope, the price of the 9800 pro wont go any lower. When a high end card reaches the 200$ barrier, it is withdrawn(actually it is withdrawn a lot earlier) from the market. The companies arent stupid, they cant let their old high end card to compete their new mid end card cause the old high end card will be faster(but it will cost more to produce). See what happened to 9700pro. So the prices wont go any lower.

Quote:

Please note that some cards perform better in one game than in another. For instance ATI is very bad in Battlefield Vietnam.

On bf 1942, ati cards performed better. I dont know about vietnam though. The thing is that the way that the fx cards are constructed, they cant perform better than ati cards on the vast majority of future games. So even though nvidia cards perform as good or sometimes even better than ati cards on some current games, they arent a good investment.

Quote:

I have seen shops that sell Ti series

Of course if you look around, you can find it. But the thing is that most shops dont have it on stock anymore. Many online shops have it though.

Quote:

Why?

Cause of his psu. 6800 needs 2 seperate molex cables that dont have any other devices attached and a 480W psu, thats according to nvidia. I am pretty sure that it will run without any problems on lower rated but very good quality psus like antec 430W but nvidia wants to be sure that the psu wont cause any problems(a 450W no name psu can be pretty crappy and way inferior than a lower rated branded psu).

Quote:

If only AoM and other non-demanding games, any $100-$150 nVidia or ATI card will be fine. Look for the nVidia 5400 or Radeon 9200 or 9600.

For 80$, he can get geforce 4 ti 4200 which is way superior than the ones that you suggest. For 130$, he can get ati 9600 pro. For 200$ he can get ati 9800 pro. I dont advise to pay more money to get a better card, cause you will be paying crazy ammount of money to get only a +5% perfomance.

PS Dont get a geforce 4 ti 4600, since it will cost a lot(and dont perform that good either). Just get a geforce 4 ti 4200 which performs similar to 4600 but costs a lot less.

[This message has been edited by NIB (edited 04-20-2004 @ 03:05 PM).]

King Of The Hill
Banned
posted 21 April 2004 07:12 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
Check for the most expensive one.

NIB
Mortal
posted 21 April 2004 08:10 AM EDT (US)     13 / 13       

Quote:

Check for the most expensive one.

Just cause something is more expensive, doesnt mean it is better.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames