You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Is there way to play a limited age game?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Is there way to play a limited age game?
zqlkular
Mortal
posted 22 April 2004 03:10 PM EDT (US)         
I'd like to practice by playing against the computer and not allowing advancements beyond an age I choose. Is this possible?

I hope this doesn't seem like a dumb question. I just got the game today.

AuthorReplies:
Pascal9872
Mortal
posted 22 April 2004 03:22 PM EDT (US)     1 / 15       
Only in a scenario or a custom rms.

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
Help improve RMS reviewing here
A monk I need a monk.
I thought therefore I was.
Villi
Mortal
posted 22 April 2004 03:26 PM EDT (US)     2 / 15       
Generate the random map in the editor, then go to triggers and ad a trigger, condition allways, effect set tech status. Then choose the age from the tech list.

example (Forbidding Mythic age):
Trigger, active
Condition: Always
Effect: Set thech status, player 1, age4, unobtanable

You can olso go the other way, andd start in a higher age.
Example (Start in Classical age):
Trigger, active, run immidiatly
Condition: Allways
Effect: Set tech status, player 1, age 2, active

I think FOG.
zqlkular
Mortal
posted 22 April 2004 03:27 PM EDT (US)     3 / 15       
Would this be a practical way to use my idea (well, it's not my idea because other games allow this). What I mean is, do you think I could get close to the same effect as if I had the option to do a random map game with a limited age setting?
zqlkular
Mortal
posted 22 April 2004 03:28 PM EDT (US)     4 / 15       
To Villi, thanks. I'll try that. My previous post was in response to the custom idea.
Mickey T
Mortal
posted 22 April 2004 03:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 15       
Its a shame AOM has got no random map otions compared to AOK, dammit.........

In a race between a rock and a pig,
don't varnish your clams.
Pascal9872
Mortal
posted 22 April 2004 03:32 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15       
If you add triggers to an rms then it would be exactly as if you choose to have those restrictions in some other game.

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
Help improve RMS reviewing here
A monk I need a monk.
I thought therefore I was.
zqlkular
Mortal
posted 22 April 2004 03:47 PM EDT (US)     7 / 15       
My bad. Pascal started me on the path and Villi provided directions. It sounds like an easy thing to do. And yeah, too bad on the options for this game. I must have gotten spoiled somewhere.
GLORYOFSPARTA
Seraph (in absentia)
posted 22 April 2004 03:58 PM EDT (US)     8 / 15       
Welcome to AoMH, and the realm of Age of Mythology, zqlkular.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok

[This message has been edited by GloryofSparta (edited 04-22-2004 @ 03:59 PM).]

zqlkular
Mortal
posted 22 April 2004 04:11 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15       
Thanks for the welcome. And I accomplished what I wanted thanks to the help. Looks like I can use the triggers to do all sorts of cool testing. I may never get around to playing a real game
Villi
Mortal
posted 22 April 2004 04:16 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15       
When you adds the triggers, you'll olso have to add a AI ti the computer player to make it do anything. Find the player data thing, and press on thee AI button on the side of the players names/reasorces bar thing. Oh, and do not dubble-click on the ai, click on it once and then on open (or what it says). But if everything works fine, and the computer player does as usual, forget about it

You can olso advance with a specific god (like Athena) The u just choose age 2 Athena, not age 2, and you'll have restoration and her techs to You can olso ad all kinds of techs, like the armory uppgrades. For more information about the *unlimited* uses of triggers, check the Scenario Design Forum. Before you post all kinds of questions in that forum, check the FAQ. People can be kinda rude to newbies who posts "dumb" (To them) questions in that forum.

I think FOG.

[This message has been edited by Villi (edited 04-22-2004 @ 04:33 PM).]

zqlkular
Mortal
posted 22 April 2004 06:39 PM EDT (US)     11 / 15       
I should have came back to this post before making another in the scenario section. I asked a question there that you just answered

Thanks for your help and warnings. I'll be more careful and try to digest the FAQS in full

Dax105
Mortal
posted 22 April 2004 07:35 PM EDT (US)     12 / 15       
http://cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.asp?board=32642&topic=13740595

Eh... Welcome to AOMH. Please ask questions here, I doubt anyone there is actually experienced enough to give some answers.

zqlkular
Mortal
posted 22 April 2004 09:05 PM EDT (US)     13 / 15       
LOL, that's where I posted first before I realized PC people don't use those forums. It's fine for console questions.
Demolition Ship Captain
Mortal
posted 23 April 2004 00:13 AM EDT (US)     14 / 15       
you can program a random map to do pretty much anything you want. If you know C++ or a programming language similiar to it, go download a script like Norse Wars and figure out how to do things (that's the way I do it, look at other's work and learn off it )

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Preparation can only take you so far... After that you gotta take a few leaps of faith.
zqlkular
Mortal
posted 23 April 2004 01:32 PM EDT (US)     15 / 15       
I can do some C++: up to simple classes. This could give a reason to learn more.

Too bad I couldn't use AoM to give me an excuse to practice CSS, but I won't be good enough at this game (if ever) to make a web site anytime soon.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames