You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » what counts as a newb/rookie/expert?
Bottom
Topic Subject:what counts as a newb/rookie/expert?
odin_worshipper
Mortal
posted 03 April 2005 05:57 PM EDT (US)         
ive been afraid to play online because i was never sure if i was a newb, or a rook... if im a newb (by skill level, not playing time) then ill stay offline for awhile longer... but if i was a rook then i might do some online playing. a year ago, i could beat hard comps on standard, but i haven't played in awhile. most of the time i beat moderate comps, and im getting a new strat together. would i be counted as a rook or a newb? (i play odin, sometimes i can get a group of soldiers to attack around 6-9 mins).

im back playing AOM after 1 year of being away... im glad i came back.
AuthorReplies:
xentelian
Mortal
posted 03 April 2005 06:57 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
I posted a similar question on another forum about a month ago.

>=1950 Elite (around 10 players)
1850-1949 Expert (around 100 players)
1750-1849 Good (around 1000 players)
1650-1749 Intermediate/Average
<1650 Rookie/Beginner/Novice

is a reasonable description for ratings classifications online.

Newbie is a slang term for someone new to the game.
I have played over a thousand games and still hover around
the 1600 range, yet I don't consider myself a noobie.
Some people at 1800+ level don't consider themselves experts either.

You will just have to take your chances online because that is the only way to guage your skill. The smurfs/selfraters may stress you out, but you will have more pride in your victories than over the computer.

Good luck and have fun!

sychronizer123
Banned
posted 03 April 2005 09:31 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
Always play online. Don't play comps. They are stupid. If you lose, keep playing. Record the games of experts at aotsanctuary.com and record games you play. Compare them and see what you did wrong. Don't try to copy them because the skill level gap is too huge. Watch your own games and see what you did wrong. Go to the strategy section of AomH and read everyguide if you need to. Find the god you are comfortable with and search about that god in strategy part of this forum. Copy a strat. Perfect the strat against comps if you have to. Test it against humans. Then once it's perfected. Use it in rated and slaughter your opponent. GL!
sychronizer123
Banned
posted 03 April 2005 09:31 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
Always play online. Don't play comps. They are stupid. If you lose, keep playing. Record the games of experts at aotsanctuary.com and record games you play. Compare them and see what you did wrong. Don't try to copy them because the skill level gap is too huge. Watch your own games and see what you did wrong. Go to the strategy section of AomH and read everyguide if you need to. Find the god you are comfortable with and search about that god in strategy part of this forum. Copy a strat. Perfect the strat against comps if you have to. Test it against humans. Then once it's perfected. Use it in rated and slaughter your opponent. GL!

xentelian, so technically you're still a Rookie/Beginner/Novice right?

xentelian
Mortal
posted 03 April 2005 11:22 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
Sadly, yup.
Can't figure out how to get villagers out of tc in 10 seconds instead of 14.
Lettucefolk_
Mortal
posted 04 April 2005 07:21 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12       

Quote:

Sadly, yup.
Can't figure out how to get villagers out of tc in 10 seconds instead of 14.

Sorry, what do you mean by that?

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
J. Heller
Swyck
Mortal
posted 04 April 2005 10:24 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
Get online and play. Its a lot more fun then playing the computer.

You should try to have fun and not worry about wins and losses. You should also try to improve yourself with each game.

IMO its hard to get much better by just playing the computer. You will be suprised at what people do. Its like another game. So there is no point in waiting until you're good enough. It won't happen against the computer.

See ya online.

Mooocow
Mortal
posted 04 April 2005 11:01 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
Here is the simpleist version of what counts for what. You will get called a noob/newb if you are in a game or whatnot and ask how he does so well or got so many vills or how to get somthing. A rookie is someone who is O.K. at the game but still loses sometimes. (like me, my winning average non rated is 45%) an intermediate or pro is someone good or great at the game and with a better rating.
V01ture
Mortal
posted 05 April 2005 09:17 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
Okay, this may just be me...but I find if your good at other maps, such as norse wars and things you're kind of in the middle of rookie and expert, and if you can map design, theres kind of a ranking in there too, so you can be a good AoM player, and not be the greatest supremacy player.

Thats my opinion, and I really dont want this to lead to an arguement if I'm right or wrong. . .

SilverOsirisAOM
Mortal
posted 07 April 2005 06:13 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Yeah sucking at sup. doesnt make you bad at aom. I know someone (FC_Nidhogg, who has posted his maps here) he makes incredible scenarios but an easy comp can whip him with its eyes closed. I still have more respect for him than any 1800.

I told you I'd be back.
odin_worshipper
Mortal
posted 07 April 2005 08:37 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
thanks for the advice/replies!

im back playing AOM after 1 year of being away... im glad i came back.
fox7574
Mortal
posted 08 April 2005 11:31 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
the only way i got better was from playing on the internet i dont think u get much better jus killing comps

NotN00b23
fox7574
Seven_Curd
Pug
Mortal
posted 08 April 2005 05:07 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
Newb- new to the game, just got it.

Rooks - have had the game a bit, just play for fun

Experts - need to get a social life.

lol. jk

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register