You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Plenty Vault
Bottom
Topic Subject:Plenty Vault
nelos
Mortal
posted 06 April 2005 11:22 AM EDT (US)         
I've played a number of single player campaigns and am generally self taught at this point.

In my first attempt at multi player online last night, I got thoroughly obliterated on each of 3 campaigns I tried, lol (I hope I didn't waste anyone's time).

Anyway, I noticed that each of my opponents seemed to move very quickly through each age up to mythic and, at that, immediately got a Plenty Vault.

I tried the same thing myself on the 3rd campaign, but once I got (and placed) the Plenty Vault it didn't appear as if I had endless resources or any kind of automatic flow of resources. Unfortunately I got wiped out soon after placing it so I didn't get a lot of time to experiment.

The help text in the interface is pretty abbreviated on this god power.

Can anyone explain? Once I place the vault, what is supposed to happen? Is food, gold and wood supposed to just start building up even without villagers getting them? Or is each resource supposed to become a bottomless pit?

Thanks in advance.

AuthorReplies:
nelos
Mortal
posted 06 April 2005 01:57 PM EDT (US)     1 / 15       
Ok, I just played a campaign against my computer, advanced to mythic and placed a Plenty vault. I then stopped all of my villagers from collecting food, wood and gold. I could then see that I still received a constant stream of each resource. So that's cool.

The next obvious question then is whether there is anything that affects the rate of flow? Is there anyway to make it faster?

regular_gonzalez
Mortal
posted 06 April 2005 02:07 PM EDT (US)     2 / 15       
Plenty vault gives you either 1 or 2 (can't remember for sure) of each resource every second. This rate can not be changed, though the plenty vault can be taken over by other players.

If you're playing with the expansion, try self-rating yourself to "beginner" when you go online and play a rated game. If you're playing vanilla, play advanced setup games and look for "rooks" "noobs" or "beginners" in the game title.

You may want to play a few games vs. the cpu on Hard. If you can beat hard regularly, you'll be competitive at about a 1580 level on AoM:TT and a 1650 level in Vanilla. If you're having problems on Hard, go to www.aotsanctuary.comand download some recorded games to see how you could improve your game.

One tip that is of huge importance and separates the "rookie" from the intermediate player is villagers. Beginners almost never make enough. You need 18-20 in archaic, and another 15-20 each age thereafter. You should have at a bare minimum 70 by the end of the game. I usually end up with 90+. Trust me -- without econ, you don't have anything. Pump out those villagers!
*caveat: if you're playing as Atlanteans, divide the above numbers by 3

Lettucefolk_
Mortal
posted 06 April 2005 02:12 PM EDT (US)     3 / 15       
Hello!

It seems like you're pretty new to the game, which is great, because it shows that AoM still gathers players.

Anyway, Plenty Vault is a Mythic GP(stands for God Power ) and is available to Hephaestus, a minor god that all Greek major gods can choose!
Now, yes, it gives you a steady supply of Food, Wood, and Gold (i'm sorry, but i don't recall the exact ammount, and i'm to lazy to go search.. maybe later:P). However, here's some pointers:
-NEVER forget that your economy depends on Vills (trade caravans and fishing ships also), so keep the villagers working at the same time!
-The bonus this GP gives should be faced exactly like that - a bonus. Not a winner on its own. Maybe you can afford to research Iron Mail sooner, or Crank out that extra Toxotes every once in a while, but you'll never be able to rely on it to survive.
-Plenty Vault may be stolen, so try to cast it in the safest place you can (after all, it's a vault).

Regarding your strat to go fast mythic with Greeks.. I'm not a pro, not even close, but i think that's not the best approach..

Maybe a Greek player could give you a little more help, but try to focus more on the triple balance: Economy/Army/Age, instead of sacrificing too much of 2 of them, especially economy! A classical with 15-20 villies would be ok, below 6 minutes, and then keep cranking them, fielding an army, raiding a bit, upgrade some stuff, well, whatever you feel like! :P

Maybe you'd like to check some records of experts from (i hope it's not illegal to link to other sites..)www.aot.sanctuary-network.comto improve your play.

Sorry if i wasn't of much help.

P.S. DAMN, i always get carried away.. To answer your question, no, nothing can change the speed to which you get your resources.

EDIT: Ok, crap, now thanks to regular_gonzalez () i made a fool out of myself...

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
J. Heller

[This message has been edited by Lettucefolk_ (edited 04-06-2005 @ 02:19 PM).]

nelos
Mortal
posted 06 April 2005 03:06 PM EDT (US)     4 / 15       
Thanks, guys - good info.

regular_gonzalez - regarding the number of villagers - I am with you all the way. The problem I've been having there (and this leads to a whole other topic) is that I always seem to be limited to a population of around 130.

So what ends up happening is that I build this big robust economy with a bunch of villagers but then I can't spend much of the capital (because the villagers are sucking up all of the population space).

What it comes down to is building houses. After about 130 population room, my villagers are not allowed to build anymore housing.

So what I do is build as much military as I can - send them out to do a little damage - and then replace them. Basically I am always chipping away at the enemy - but never in a position to overwhelm / anhiliate them.

Is there something I'm missing here? It is probably something very basic that I've overlooked. But there have been a lot of situations where I could have kicked more **s if I could have had more population.

X2C_41nT2L82Qu1T
Banned
posted 06 April 2005 05:04 PM EDT (US)     5 / 15       
You get 15 pop per town center (20 if you have fortified town center technology) and 10 pop per house. The maximum is 10 houses (100 pop) so with the starting town center and all houses you get 115 population max. You need to build more town centers for more pop (if your in vanilla, you need to be heroic age). I've never found plenty vault all that useful and prefer earthquake or lightening storm as a GP but hephasteus has lots of other uses.
Howitzer86
Mortal
posted 06 April 2005 05:35 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15       
The Plenty Vault gives you fifteen wood, gold, and food every five seconds.
xentelian
Mortal
posted 06 April 2005 06:18 PM EDT (US)     7 / 15       
3 of each resource / second basically. (not favor)

It is like having 9 extra villagers.

beekay
Mortal
(id: black_knight_101)
posted 06 April 2005 06:21 PM EDT (US)     8 / 15       
Now this is what that guy I can't remember was talking about. 'People who tell false facts, but state them boldly as if they were true' - If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post it! I'm not entirely sure what the rate is, but it's sure as hell not 3/s!

sig
discordant
Mortal
posted 06 April 2005 06:44 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15       
Nelos, if your pop is limited to 130, that means you have max houses + 2 town centers. You can increase this cap two ways -- capturing another town center (each tc gives you an additional 15 population cap) and researching Fortified Town Center at one of your existing town centers (this makes each town center give you an additional 5 to your population cap, and also makes them stronger vs. enemy attack). The 70+ villager number is based on the assumption that you will have 3 town centers with the fortified town center upgrade, which will give you a total of 160 population.

Unless I'm mistaken, almost every random map has a number of town centers equal to players x 3. So there should always be two unbuilt ones that are fairly close to you at the start of the game. Scouting their location out is important. A good strategy is to scout the town centers of the enemy and build up the one of theirs that is "most forward" towards you. That denys it to them (assuming you can keep it) and will let you build the other two, the ones that technically are "yours" by placement, at your leisure. If you manage it correctly, you'll have a 4 - 2 town center advantage, which means you will have at least 30 more population slots than your opponent ... an overwhelming advantage.

xentelian
Mortal
posted 06 April 2005 10:24 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15       
Black Night, I consider myself expert in stats on this game. As soon as I read your message in disgust, I went looking through protox and techtreex files. I cannot find that info now and if they mean Plenty Koth then it is actually 0.6 / second OR 3 of each resource every 5 seconds (5 times less than what I thought if that is the case)
I will test that out, but sorry if I was wrong. Surprised nobody pointed that out in tooltips if that is the case.
xentelian
Mortal
posted 07 April 2005 01:36 AM EDT (US)     11 / 15       
Howitzer and I explained it correctly in first posts.

15 of each resource every 5 seconds
(3 of each resource every second basically)

Test it in the editor if you don't believe it.

Jet_Set_Jim
Mortal
posted 07 April 2005 03:06 AM EDT (US)     12 / 15       
Black_Knight_101, I was the guy whose name you were tryingto remember... and for what it's worth, I consider xentelian an expert when it comes to AOM stats as well. The guy knows what he's talking about.

It appears however, that you do not.

Age_of_Jizzology
Mortal
posted 07 April 2005 08:00 PM EDT (US)     13 / 15       
oooh burn lol. Anyways plenty vault is a very good god power due to the fact you can have less villagers for those extra siege/myth units or put those villagers on building up stuff.
SirGrayhorn
Mortal
posted 08 April 2005 09:09 AM EDT (US)     14 / 15       
plenty vault i never use. i use too back when i began playing but now when i use zeus i always go with hera. he the only one that get her, she has storm and instant kill medusa who pwns collosus i might add.

i personally never felt that vault had a big enough effect to warrant using. plus it can be captured, even though most times it is captured person originally owning it is dead.

i did see a rec once, where it was a 3 on 3 or something like that. this guy drops his vault in the mid of the map, all the enemy try to over take it, and he swings his amry to the back and takes out an entire enemy seattlement forcing him to resign. i thought that was a great stratergy.

But just as the smoke cleared, a red cloak of silk burnt and battle worn blew past the fire, and from the buring embers of the catapault Sir Grayhorn emerged, Jalmal's Bain still strongly grasped in his right hand and his kite shield lined with steel pierced with arrows held high in his left. The hero had endured.
Age_of_Jizzology
Mortal
posted 09 April 2005 02:07 PM EDT (US)     15 / 15       
wow that is smart playing, besides it takes time for those resources to add up so if you attack quickly then it might work.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames