You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » So what's the latest on autoqueue?
Bottom
Topic Subject:So what's the latest on autoqueue?
DalTXColtsFan
Mortal
posted 08 May 2005 05:21 PM EDT (US)         
I remember when AOMTT first came out, experts were lividly up in arms about autoqueue and how it ruined the game because any noob could then have a good economy. I'd say it felt like about 90% of the board was 100% in agreement, that AQ was garbage and should be removed from the game.

Is that still true? Do most players, say 1550 and up still hate AQ?

I never understood the hatred toward AQ. I still felt that the better AOM player was going to win, AQ or no AQ. I also felt that:

If you micro units against their counters better than I do, you can say you're a better AOM player than me.

Substitute:
redistribute villies onto different resources
build units in response to what oppt is making
scout
raid
control areas of the map

what did I forget?

Anyways, you get the picture. I feel that someone who does the above 6 things better than the other is the better AOM or AOMTT player, not the player who has himself better trained to hit H, V every 15 seconds or click around all his barracks or migdols better.

In my opinion, AQ took away the difference between being a better AOM player vs. being a better robot.

Thoughts?

AuthorReplies:
X2C_41nT2L82Qu1T
Banned
posted 08 May 2005 05:30 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
People have had this discussion thousands of times and it will never come to one game > the other. The titan players imo know the game is easier because their only good argument about aq is that it means the person with best strategical thinking (well all those things) wins. What they dont understand (well they probably do but dont want to admit it) is that vanilla has the SAME strategical thinking (minus the balancing problems in titans) PLUS the oh so hard h vvvvv and all those other queing buttons.
Etendorf
Mortal
posted 08 May 2005 06:57 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
Autoque makes me mindless... screw that stuff about strategy meaning more, AOM has just as much strat. There are only so many strats that can even be effective enough to pull off when every que is at 100% effiency.

There isn't enough to do to keep it fun. You can get away with autoqueing everything. Autoque vils, juggle rally point, advance, autoque vils again, set up two counter rax and autoque turma, put the gather point somewhere near the opponets base. Build rax, autoque murms, set gatherpoint the same. Keep it up until you have at least three tc's, each with autoque,
then advance finally, with pretty full eco, set up dryad tree, and autoque those. Autoque birds too. Build a palace somewhat forward, start getting a few passages around if you need them, autoque destroyers and you are pretty set.

Hell, you don't even have to micro your battles, you just cast shockwave instead, it gets you all the advantage you need to win. The only time I changed my strat was to defend against a loki with murms first, and then turma.

It's so mindless and so easy. I just tested out TT again after being AOM only for so long, I found it disgusting.

Nick: Eten.
Gods: All of them!
Vanilla.
TOAO_Power
Mortal
posted 08 May 2005 07:26 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
Not 1550+, more like 90-95% of 1700+
DalTXColtsFan
Mortal
posted 09 May 2005 09:56 AM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
Etendorf, I take it you're an Oranos player. What would you do against another Oranos player who was using that exact same strat? And who would win the game?
Etendorf
Mortal
posted 09 May 2005 05:14 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
Actually, I'm a dedicated Odin player, and only played Oranos for about 8 games for mindless fuzz to fill some time. I came fresh from that before my post.

Oranos vs. Oranos just ends up depending on who knows when to get the econ upgrades and better turma vs, turma focus fire and shockwave timing. Oh, and I guess keeping those valor heroes alive makes a big difference too.

Vanilla.
GreenLiquid
Mortal
(id: gummyWorm)
posted 09 May 2005 10:17 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
Autoqueue is a pretty nifty feature that can make life a lot easier on you, especially with getting villies.

As for noobs getting better with it, that's fine by me, now they're actually presenting some challenge.

TOAO_Power
Mortal
posted 09 May 2005 10:49 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
Your first sentence was sreaming noob...

I liked AoC, where I constantly had to make villis, letting the comp do it for me sux.

xentelian
Mortal
posted 09 May 2005 11:35 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
It won't be in AOE3 thank god.
Etendorf
Mortal
posted 10 May 2005 11:09 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
What is interesting is that I don't mind a heavily advanced interface, but still have issues with autoque.

I think that's because I like games with alot of actions required per second. Autoque makes the game too easy and too perfect for me. But if I had the option, I wish I could watch ques of multiple buildings and advanced 'hot group' hot keys, so I don't even have to unselect units to juggle building ques.

I'm betting I could rig a way right now with a user.con file to give me options like selecting all of one kind of unit on the screen with a single hotkey combo(and make the same key combos things applicable for multiple civs)...but I'm also sure it's quite a bit of work.

IMO, the mouse should only be used for placement of buildings and units.

A real nice and noob friendly feature would be showing the actual train time in seconds remaining while units are training.

But of course, a big, fat, manual on game theory would help out noobs alot too. If I'd write one, I might start losing people with all the numbers and graphs about vil difference and detailed examples of short-term vs. long-term tradeoffs, and the number crunching on mixed unit effectiveness. AOM has always appealed to me because of it's well defined techinical number balance.

I'm all for a streamlined actions and user interface, but I still want the user involved. Autoque seems to be a cheap/lazy way to help players, because it actually waters down gameplay as much as it helps some players.

Vanilla.
Agarwaen
Mortal
posted 11 May 2005 10:40 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
I personally don't really see having to go back to each building and click the unit a few more times as an important part of gameplay. Autoque just makes it easier to do things. You're probably better off not using it in some cases anyway. I think the real problem is there isn't enough other management to fill the time that clicking in new units took. There is very little battle management needed besides having counter units attack the right guys.

Autoque frees up time to focus on other things. The better player should not simply be the one who can focus on the most things at once.

Rookierookie
Banned
posted 12 May 2005 07:02 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
What might work is to have more penalty for those people who don't look after their autoqueued buildings.
sdw12umdjc
Mortal
posted 12 May 2005 07:38 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
I find that AQ is only useful for spamming a particular unit. It is much more effective to create one unit from multiple buildings during most games because you constantly change what units you make. I only use AQ for villies on my first tc, but once you get into mid classical I find it easier to stop AQ villies because I tend to forget about them unless I click to make them. AQ makes hot keys less important too which is really a hinderance. Its not that I don't like AQ, but I got better when I started using it less.
Ajs77311
Mortal
posted 12 May 2005 08:37 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
Why is it such a big deal?
Am I missing something?
To my understanding is all it does is repeatily creates a unit and that is it.

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

Pug
Mortal
posted 12 May 2005 08:44 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
it takes away the micro in a huge way. But hey I just play for fun and I like it. I tried vanilla and I sucked after being spoiled by aq from the tc.
Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 13 May 2005 07:47 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16       

Quote:

it takes away the micro in a huge way.

Not necessarily. Numerous players use Autoqueue only on their Town centers, so that they may concentrate more on the battlefield. This happens especially in Deathmatch.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
Rookierookie
Banned
posted 13 May 2005 07:59 AM EDT (US)     16 / 16       

Quote:

To my understanding is all it does is repeatily creates a unit and that is it.

Isn't that enough?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames