You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, That AoM Guy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.51 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Problems in AoK that ES should fix for AoM
Bottom
Topic Subject:Problems in AoK that ES should fix for AoM
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 21 November 2001 00:45 AM EDT (US)         
Let's start a list.

1) Automatic Stance Assignment

There were four different stances in AoK. I used Defensive and Stand Ground a lot (mostly Defensive) and Agressive quite a bit too. I didn't use No Attack very much, but it came in handy in certain custom scenarios. These stances were very useful because sometimes you wanted your units running willy-nilly all over the map, sometimes you wanted them to pursue an enemy but not get lured into an ambush, and other times you wanted those fiesty little guy to just STAY PUT!

But here's the problem: every time your units are created, they are automatically set to Aggressive stance. So if I'm building an army, each time I click to troops, I have to change their stance if I don't want them Agressive. This got to be a pain.

Here's what I propose: On each military building you can press a button that changes the starting stance of the units that come out. If this is too hard to implement or doesn't work well with the interface they could just have it as a user setting, like the one-click garrisoning.

"It may come as a shock to you . . . You can have fun and be serious all at the same time."
AuthorReplies:
Thunder
VIP BonusXP
posted 21 November 2001 01:16 AM EDT (US)     1 / 51       
That's a good one Clarissimus.

This item isn't a real big problem, but here's a lil' something that Pseudoknight thought up to enhance recorded games. Allow a player to add chapters to the game when replaying it. Viola. It's hard to use them during a game, and since a rewind feature is said to be out of the question, this would be a great solution.

Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 21 November 2001 01:38 AM EDT (US)     2 / 51       
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that one. But adding chapters during the playback could mess some things up. It would be like when different people edit a scenario and then it won't work.

Here's my take:

[b]2) Automatic Chapter Recording

There are really three ways to add chapters in a game:

a) Press F9 every five or ten minutes. This can get hard to remember. In the heat of battle when I'm trying to micro at home and at the front, I'm not gonna be checking the game clock.

b) Press F9 before a memorable event is about to occur. Heh, I actually did this once without realizing what fool I was. So much for my "surprise attack"

c) Press F9 at random periodic-ish times. This is obviously better than "a" or "b," but still has its problems. For example, major events might end up being missed.

What happened in reality was that most people just forgot to press F9 altogether. The result is that every long game I've watched had no chapters -- very inconvenient. It's almost as if the feature of adding chapters might as well have never been created.

The solution (IMO)? Have a default setting that automatically saves chapters every five, ten, fifteen, twenty, or thirty minutes.

"It may come as a shock to you . . . You can have fun and be serious all at the same time."
cow_gone_mad
Mortal
posted 21 November 2001 09:25 AM EDT (US)     3 / 51       
bleh and then you want to be able to set a default...

imo it's ok the way it is

moooooooooooooo

Ex-Preacher of the "CHAOTIC FUN". It ain't dead. Punk never died either.
From a country in "OLD Europe" and in line with Cuba and Libya!
Consequence: Is sun tanned. Drinks rum. Smokes Cigars. Is Polygam.
*loves RUMSFELD* Late Night Shows can concern themself with Politics now.
I hate NO ONE (Exception: my arch-enemy and angel Winston, whom I wish death each time i see his name), everything else is joking.
And Immortal of the Mageslair: http://www.mageslair.net
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 23 November 2001 01:31 AM EDT (US)     4 / 51       
Setting unit stances is something I can do instinctively with the keyboard, just the way I'd place houses or farms, or pack a trebuchet or whatever...it's just something you get used to.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
Gryphon_Rider
Mortal
posted 23 November 2001 01:43 AM EDT (US)     5 / 51       
I'd think setting stance should be fixed, I lost many games because I can't hold my newly created troops.

I'd perferr more farm quelle in AOM, hate it when all farmer becomes idle in the middle of the combat

There is "lie" in "belief"
There is "if" in "life"
There is "sin" in "business"
-By Someone I don't know
Lord of The Rings The Adventure is just beginning
Tonto_Simfish
Mortal
posted 23 November 2001 12:35 PM EDT (US)     6 / 51       
Not sure if this has been mentioned, I rarely venture around this forum.

In the game set up screen n AoK:TC, which pops up after the host launches the game, if the host has to leave, then the game would be cancelled for everyone. However, I think that the second player, who is in the spot just below the host, should become host if the host exits the game set up screen. This is especially important if a game takes 20 minutes to set up, then the host has to go.

"Einstein is a fool." - Schrodinger
"The way to chastity is not to struggle with incontinent thoughts but to avert the thoughts by some employment, or by reading, or by meditating on other things, or by conversation. " - Sir Isaac Newton
CC | AoPS | M-W | PF | SSP | OCW | IBS | KCLS | CB
"We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this something, at whatever cost, must be attained" - Marie Curie
"I was taught that the way of progress is neither swift nor easy" - Marie Curie
DarkFlame
Mortal
posted 23 November 2001 12:44 PM EDT (US)     7 / 51       
Clarrisimus's idea is great. The most annoying thing in AoK is: all of your units you've just made are gone, and you find them back 15 minutes later near the body of an enemy archer or villie. In many rushes, people can't find their units to defend, because all of those units have gone somewhere else walking after a scout or something.

edit: sig test

Ohmigod, fancy colour fading!
I blame these purple things.
GFWL: NilePenguin

[This message has been edited by DarkFlame (edited 11-23-2001 @ 12:44 PM).]

gone_postal
Mortal
posted 23 November 2001 03:37 PM EDT (US)     8 / 51       
Awesome sig, DarkFlame...

Problem:
In AOK, when u want a bunch of villagers that had previously been working on something else to build farms, you had to click on each villager, press F, and click where to build a farm. (It wasn't THAT annoying, but it still qualifies as a problem ) It'd be nice if u could select a bunch of vills, press a button, and click on your mill or town center and they'd all start building farms around it.

He kicked me in the back
when i wasn't looking,
so I kicked him twice in the face
when he was.

gone postal

teutonicknight
Mortal
posted 23 November 2001 05:04 PM EDT (US)     9 / 51       
DarkFlames sig has got to be the coolest I have ever seen.

Copyright 2000-2002 teutonicknight LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 25 November 2001 01:10 AM EDT (US)     10 / 51       
Topping
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 25 November 2001 02:31 AM EDT (US)     11 / 51       
Awesome sig, DarkFlame!

The Last Knight
Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect
A_Mighty_Pirate
Mortal
posted 25 November 2001 11:24 PM EDT (US)     12 / 51       
Awesome sig, Darkflame!
Another Problem:
When you have all your v's getting a resource, then you tell them to switch, they should turn in all their existing resources their carrying, and then go to the next, not just have it to disappear. Last time i played AoK, i accidentally clicked on a berry bush behind my mill with all my boar hunters, and lost all that food! It totally slowed up my game and advance, needless to say, i lost. Just an annoying thing that i'd like to see fixed

"When oppurtunity knocks, break the locks and rush the gates"
Greeks are gonna rock! Minotaurs + Hydras!

Reciever of the esteemed and highly coveted: "Bobby Bailey's Screwball Award"

Romans 12
cow_gone_mad
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 01:39 PM EDT (US)     13 / 51       
2 a mighty pirate ... that would suck i will no longer be able to fast switch vils do one thing from the next, i dun mind losing 1 food, if i save 1 micro sec

moooooooooooo

Ex-Preacher of the "CHAOTIC FUN". It ain't dead. Punk never died either.
From a country in "OLD Europe" and in line with Cuba and Libya!
Consequence: Is sun tanned. Drinks rum. Smokes Cigars. Is Polygam.
*loves RUMSFELD* Late Night Shows can concern themself with Politics now.
I hate NO ONE (Exception: my arch-enemy and angel Winston, whom I wish death each time i see his name), everything else is joking.
And Immortal of the Mageslair: http://www.mageslair.net
Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 01:43 PM EDT (US)     14 / 51       
How about this for a comprimise:

The villagers hold on to whatever they were carrying and dump it when they get a chance next.

Example: A villager is mining gold. He has 5 gold when you order him to chop wood. So then he chops wood until he has 5 gold and 5 wood, if which case he turns them both in.

A_Mighty_Pirate
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 00:50 AM EDT (US)     15 / 51       
that would be cool, Clar, but then the v would ahev to walk back over to the mining camp, maybe let him turn it in wherever the otehr resource is, but then that opens a loop hole players would find a way to use to help gather faster

Romans 12
Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 01:35 AM EDT (US)     16 / 51       
I don't think people would use it to get resources faster. Just think how much micro that would take

teutonicknight
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 01:54 AM EDT (US)     17 / 51       
Yeah, too mush mircom.

Copyright 2000-2002 teutonicknight LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Thunder
VIP BonusXP
posted 27 November 2001 12:36 PM EDT (US)     18 / 51       
gone_postal, you can actually change a group of villes to farmers in AOK quite quickly. Select a whole group that you would like to be farmers, and press "b" then "f" and hold down the shift key. Now you can plant a whole bunch of farms one right after the other just by left clicking on the ground, as long as you continue to hold down shift. The villes will complete each farm as long as they can see the next unfinished farm (group them) and in no time, they will all be farming at their own farm.

Here's something I wanted, I'm not sure it's a big problem though. It would be nice if villes got into formation with military units, or even just as military units do. Having villes straggling all over isn't real helpful.

A_Mighty_Pirate
Mortal
posted 28 November 2001 00:49 AM EDT (US)     19 / 51       
True, true, Zen, good thinking

Oh, good points, teutknight, and Clar, Yeah, i guess that wouldn't even be worth it with all that micromanagement. I was just being the "devil's advocate". Oh well, good thinking guys, you're coming up with some good ideas!

Romans 12
Inca Lord
Mortal
posted 28 November 2001 02:07 AM EDT (US)     20 / 51       
I hate it when my guys go after their counter-units when I'm not looking (e.g. Knights go after Halberdiers). It would be nice if they weren't so stupid. Basically, that units wouldn't go after anything that can kill them, automatically. (Does that make sense?)
Anubis1812
Mortal
posted 28 November 2001 10:28 AM EDT (US)     21 / 51       
yeah, that makes sense.

Adding onto thunder's idea about military formations for villagers:

I always wanted to be able to set them to attack stance. You may think that this would only be on rare occurances, but I've wanted to do it many times (suprisingly). Most of the time when i was Spanish, but sometimes with other civs. If an enemy unit had gotten into my city and was slowly killing all of my farmers, I'd want them ALL to crowd around it to attack (ASSUMING I HAD NO MILITARY UNITS CLOSE ENOUGH). Villagers are suprisingly not as bad fighters as many people think. Also: When villagers have the "sapper" technology, the attack stance would be very useful.

Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 28 November 2001 01:53 PM EDT (US)     22 / 51       
Re: Villagers in formation

I think it's better than villagers don't travel in formation (just a realism thing, really.)

But maybe you could research a technology that makes them learn a few military ways.

AllPoints
Mortal
posted 28 November 2001 02:43 PM EDT (US)     23 / 51       
I saw mention that the queue should be larger for farms. My question is why not just have the option of automatic replanting? If there is wood available, then replant the farm. The queuing is nice at the beginning because you can reserve some needed wood for it. But after a while, the wood supply is not as critical so the farms should be able to just use wood as needed. This could be a toggle button in the same location as the farm queueing.

Deeds, not words, define one's self
climb_high
Mortal
posted 28 November 2001 03:13 PM EDT (US)     24 / 51       
Hello everybody,

I would like to be able to watch a recorded game with some friends ( multi watcher mode ). For exemple, i'm teaching my rookie friend how to become inter. Well if we could be watching the game that we recorded together, I would point out his mistakes, weakness, strengths, etc.

any opinions ?

Gothic_Warrior
Mortal
posted 28 November 2001 05:24 PM EDT (US)     25 / 51       
i think when you ressearch sappers it'll add military stances or a tech to givew villagers stances.
I think the scn design should be made easier to use for casual players. Just looking at the triggers to make an rpg system makes my head hurt.

We have the cheapest infantry!!
Proud Member of DMWC CLAN
Quote: " Hey, hey, hey I've just found my way. Are you stupid or ya just walk around astounded?" - Tantric
Inventor of the Sprush Skrush and Trush Flush, nice tongue twister,eh?
BlackKnight100
Mortal
posted 28 November 2001 05:31 PM EDT (US)     26 / 51       
setting vils to attack stance and haveing them go in formation would be really cool! i like it!!!!

sig test

VENI VIDI VICI!!!

If truth were self-evident, eloquence would be unnecessary--Cicero

Aresthegod
Mortal
posted 28 November 2001 06:21 PM EDT (US)     27 / 51       
THATS A GREAT IDEA Allpoints. I think that should be in the game, that would help greatly, cause after you get going and have around 10-15 vills working on wood you have enough where you want the farms to just replenish themselves, and not worry about it while battling. Great idea, hope it makes the game(and having a toggle button would be helpful too just incase you wanted to switch it off)
mikey
Mortal
posted 28 November 2001 06:48 PM EDT (US)     28 / 51       
One of the most annoying things for me in Aok was, when trying to mine every little scrap of gold left, i could only place so mant vills around a mine. I like to put about 9 vills in one group and tpwards the end of a game, when i most needed the gold, only four of my nine vills were mining severly decreasing my productivity.

I wouldn't mind seeing some more extensive tutorials were you can learn not just controls etc. but learn a few tactics as well.

The first casualty in war is the truth.

Alcohol is the cause and solution of all lifes problems. - Homer Simpson

History is always written by the victors

A_Mighty_Pirate
Mortal
posted 29 November 2001 00:47 AM EDT (US)     29 / 51       
Inca:
Hmmmm, that would be good, but what if it was one lone pikie, and your calvary didn't go kill it, but instead, it killed your guys while you're not looking, maybe have it decide if it would be able to win or not. Good idea, though! It'd be useful if they could figure out how to make it work properly!
Clar:
I agree villies in formation would look rather funny, but if there were researches that actually added options, that would be awesome!
Anubis:
Hmmmm, that would be cool, but maybe only on defensive, because if one unit started running around my town, i sure wouldn't want all my v's to stop production and chase him around.Also, if you could select a "just build" or something button, v's wouldn't run away when attacked while building a building, they'd just take the hits and keep on building
Allpoints:
That would be awesome! VERY good idea!
Gothic:
I know what you mean,i spent a couple weeks trying to make an RPG, and got so frustrated that i jsut quit...i wish i could find it now, it was buggy, but pretty kool....

Romans 12
DjiNN_Zombie
Mortal
posted 29 November 2001 07:45 AM EDT (US)     30 / 51       
a new feature for aom that wasnt on aok should be multi people watching recorded games... heres what I mean more than one person watch a recorded game at a time like watch a record together and talk about it. you get what Im saying?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames