You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Training to beat my friend
Bottom
Topic Subject:Training to beat my friend
GaiusKnight
Mortal
posted 13 July 2005 01:26 PM EDT (US)         
Okay. I don't have AOM yet, but my birthday is coming in a couple weeks so I'm training with the demo. I discovered AOM at a friend's house. He creamed me. Now my ultimate AOM goal is to cream him back. After training with the demo a little bit, I played against him again yesterday, allied with his younger brother (who actually stinks at the game). I lost. I've noticed that Friend 1, my opponent, loves myth units. I'm a builder, and so I usually attack later in the game. But by then he has a whole army of myth units. He hardly even uses human soldiers in my experiences against him, but only builds temple units. He likes to play either as Zeus or as Isis. I prefer Thor or Poseidon.

My questions are...

-Do you have any tips for a semi-newb (I have mastery of the basics but I'm still not that good)?
-Do you have any tips that would be best against friend 1's strategies?
- What other than heroes eats myth units for breakfast?

[This message has been edited by GaiusKnight (edited 07-13-2005 @ 01:35 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Out Reach
Mortal
(id: newreach268)
posted 13 July 2005 02:06 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
dont let him reach Mythic. If your building up for late games and you no hes a Myth Smammer you will undoubtly fail. A good plan would be to lern the Loki Hessair Rush. IT rellys strongly on Heroes and Will defeat him befor he can get upto Mythic.

how it works- 10 vilies on food 5 villies on wood and gold temple build out of sight but near enemys base. Advance with Hiemdal. 2 einjars and undermine kills a TC. you now build an army of hessairs and start attacking. they should hopefully start summoning. Once you have 2 einjars send them to deal with the TC ALONE. leave your hessairs and other Myth to take out his army/other buildings. You should be able to beat him if you can get it right, seeing he sounds a very week oponent if he plays defesive till Mythic.

However if he makes it to Heroic you need to keep the preasure on but also EXPAND your economy. you need flamming wepons/ swine aray soon or your dead.

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
MR2 Pilot
Mortal
posted 13 July 2005 02:37 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
GaiusKnight,

Whichever civ and God you choose, AoM is designed for the aggressive player to have the advantage. Raid your opponent’s economy early and continuously, bolt their villies so they're not producing, while protecting your own.

Hero’s are strongest versus myth units, but as mentioned, it's better not to let your opponent get to Mythic age.

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
GaiusKnight
Mortal
posted 13 July 2005 02:48 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
Thanks guys. I'm not too good at rushing, but I'm sure I can learn.

My friend doesn't really even attack until late heroic, once I've destroyed my own army in an attack.

I'll try to learn the Loki Rush. Sounds like a good strategy to me.

[This message has been edited by GaiusKnight (edited 07-13-2005 @ 02:49 PM).]

Nero_Gatson
Mortal
posted 13 July 2005 03:34 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
The Loki rush is wildly successful, and it sounds like it would be the best strategy against this opponent you speak of, seeing as he only uses MU [Myth Units] and attacks late heroic. MU's are expensive to train, therefore the late attack time. The rush would destabilize his economy enough so that he cant use MU's, and eventually, through continual raiding, win you the game.

-~=|\|340 GA1S0N=~-™
Don't flame me because I use a better operating system AND web browser than you.
"TEH INTERNET IS BROKEN"
Visit my totally awesome website.
Gameranger: ###_xile_###. Battle.net: Ner0.
1 0 6
MR2 Pilot
Mortal
posted 13 July 2005 07:50 PM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
Good raiding is very disruptive to your opponent, and fun.

Use 2 groups of 4 to 6 cav each (or fast units).

Bring 1 group in from the side and bolt villies, when he defends with his mil units, run away.

While group 1 is keeping his mil busy (chasing your units to far corner of the map), bring in group 2 from the other side and bolt villies.

Repeat as desired - lol

Really good players will raid with 2 or 3 groups, which requires a lot of micro time. Good raiding can make a mess out of your opponent’s econ, as well as be very frustrating to someone who's trying to FH.

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Out Reach
Mortal
(id: newreach268)
posted 14 July 2005 11:13 AM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
IM sure theres a good recording of a loki rush you can download in the DL section (if the demo can view recorded games)

if not practice vs Moderate computers. You will know if your rush is working if your not getting attacked at home TC. remember, your Myth need to be microed. Valrike can heal, send one back to forward base to heal the sick you pull back, rest can raid economy. trolls back up hessairs vs army and buildings einjars vs TC's, towers and Other building once they are gone.

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 15 July 2005 03:18 AM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
While Orion_Antares is not wrong with his suggestion to use 2 raiding groups, this is expert style and hard to conduct for a newbie. From what you tell, your friend does not really sound like a strong player even though he can beat you. I suggest you use only one raiding group, which is easier to do and still highly effective.

Quoted from GaiusKnight:

My friend doesn't really even attack until late heroic, once I've destroyed my own army in an attack.

And that is your mistake. Play aggressively, but do not smoke yourself up against superior resistance. Look, there are only so many gold mines, and only one or two of them are inside your friend's base. He will have to mine remotely, and if he is any good, he will hunt early in the game. These are good unprotected targets to raid. The only thing you need to do is sending fast forces early on and actively searching for these units.

While it is wise not to wait until mythic, massed myth units are easy to beat when you know he has them. Just make lots of hersirs. You can as well spam jarls. Jarls are more versatile and can fight mixed armies better, but will still slay his MU army hands down.

If you are Thor and want to deliver a big surprise to your friend, then you can go for mythic age as well (provided you are fast enough so that you do not get crushed before you make it there). Make as many villies and dwarves as possible. Then smoke up your army against your friend, constantly replacing your losses with villies out of the three TCs that you should have by then. From what you say, he will be sitting at pop limit with most of his army being MU (myth units). After defeating your troops he will move in to crush you with his myth army. You then cast ragnarok, occasionally with flaming weapons, and have 300 pop worth of heroes against his MU! You will annihilate his MU army with virtually no losses and then move on to raze his base.

Make sure to have some resources stored (especially food) so that you can make new villies if your pop drops below then limit again. Also make sure to have good armory upgrades researched until you cast ragnarok (remember heroes, including ragnarok ones, benefit even more from armory ups than normal units, and as Thor, you get the upgrades at a discount).

Note that the above is no good tactics for general play. It is a tactics tailored against the style of your friend. If he plays that way and you reach mythic age in good shape, you should easily own him with that.

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
Murrogh
Mortal
posted 15 July 2005 10:56 AM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
If he is Isis dont let him get on the gold mines keep checking them to see if he has vills there.
Advance under 6:00 so you can have a nice army before he does. If he is a myth unit spammer spamm hersir back they have a huge bonus vs myth. If you get him trapped in his base beware of fighting under tower fire it will eat right through your units, if he still has an army advance to heroic and build siege and town centers. Other myth units do 3x dmg to myth so if you have ranged ones you can shoot over your heros heads into them.
In the beginning of the game put about 8 villagers on food and if there is any hunting nearby do the hunting upgrade. If there isn't put a few more villagers on food. try t ostart building temple by 4:00.

[This message has been edited by Murrogh (edited 07-15-2005 @ 11:00 AM).]

GaiusKnight
Mortal
posted 15 July 2005 01:50 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
Awesome! Thanks everyone. My 14th birthday is Aug 3, so as soon as I fight him I'll update y'all on my battles.

Him and his brother, according to the guides on this site, are quite newbish. I'm sure with some practice I can overcome him.

[This message has been edited by GaiusKnight (edited 07-15-2005 @ 01:52 PM).]

Pwned
Mortal
(id: You_Are_Pwned)
posted 15 July 2005 05:46 PM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
www.AoTSanctuary.com

Download expert recorded games from there. Try to memorise what builds they use on which maps, what unit combos and start they use vs. each god and other small details.

Edit: Guess this won't help you because you won't be able to get the game until your birthday.

ada

[This message has been edited by Pwned (edited 07-15-2005 @ 05:47 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames