You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Making the Transition from Thor to Odin...
Bottom
Topic Subject:Making the Transition from Thor to Odin...
Kdude
Mortal
posted 19 July 2005 03:24 PM EDT (US)         
Hi. I have recently been playing Thor alot and having some rough times (more than good times) so I am thinking about switching to Odin. His FH strategies appeal to me as do his hunting bonuses. So what i am saying is how can I, a lesser experienced Thor player, make a smooth switch to Odin and, If possible improve my Thor. Thanking you in advance, Kdude.

[This message has been edited by Kdude (edited 07-19-2005 @ 03:28 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Chimp With A Gun
Mortal
posted 19 July 2005 03:41 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8       
Well first i have a question is everyone here norse?

Second why does it seem like every one starts out as thor?
Heck I started as loki, and still am!

Well the first thing would be to be less dependent on dwarfs!

O ya love you inner Odin.

Chimp with a gun
AKA
Desert fox
WAR DOESN'T DETERMINE WHO'S RIGHT,
ONLY WHO'S LEFT
Out Reach
Mortal
(id: newreach268)
posted 19 July 2005 03:54 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8       
as you go higher up the ranks you will find more over powered ISIS players. remember Odin is the weakest Norse vs Isis as he cant get Braggi. Play some games Vs Isis on unrated with Odin and Thor and see the difference. Also remember you will lose your Thor bonuses. look at them see what your lossing and see what your gaining with Odin.

Theres a reason why the top players favorite god is Thor...

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
SilentScreams
Mortal
posted 19 July 2005 05:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8       
I'm by no means an expert player, but these are my thoughts:

- Odin may be best raiding civ in the game due to fast Classical, scouting Ravens, access to Freyja (get Thundering Hooves - RC get incredibly fast and annoying). When your raiding party is shot up, retreat to corner of map, leave for a minute to regain hitpoints (preferably with Valkyrie) and repeat.

- Jarls are hard to stop, we all know that. FU your cavalry and use them as shock units, back up Jarls with TA, and nothing should be able to stop you.

- Huskarls under Odin are extremely hard to stop as well - I remember a full Huskarl army slaughtering my Axemen and buildings, making TCs and Hill Forts as they went and beat the crap out of my empire.

- Ragnarok is extremely powerful because... you guessed it, the Heroes regenerate as well. Use if you're being beaten, always go Baldr. Cast Ragnarok. After killing his forward base with the Heroes, have them chill out for a minute or so and repeat. FM may be a good option for Odin, so a 3-TC boom can be very viable with some good raiding, provided you reach Mythic before the enemy kills a major part of your empire.

In short, I treat Odin as a fast-developing, cavalry-based civ, with TA and some heavy myth thrown in as support. An alternative is to go heavy on Huskarls with TA and possibly Hersir or Ulfs. He has good shock units, so make Rams instead of Ballistae to go along with the charge. My God Path would be Odin - Freyja - Njord - Baldr for greatest change of win (all awesome God Powers).

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination
SilentScreams
Mortal
posted 19 July 2005 05:59 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8       
Another nice idea is to do a FH, going Bragi, make Rams, Frost his army and kill his TC, towers, other buildings very early. Have some cav and TA to support the Rams. Minimal expense for maximal destruction, esp when used in conjunction with Forest Fire. Then it's time to tower up, FM and send the Ragnarok Heroes in to mop up... without building more than 20 military units... really Ragnarok is insanely overpowered.

Kdude
Mortal
posted 19 July 2005 07:18 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8       
Thank you all for the various info and tips!! Although in the above post you said to FH Bragi (Odin does not have) and you said to cast frost, the Skadi GP. That is just a tead confusing. But all-in-all this has been extremely helpful so far! Thank you again.

(Peter is surrounded by apes with guns in a net)
"Hey, hey, ok. How many dirty stinking apes does it take to screw in a light bulb? 3, one dirty stinking ape to screw in the lightbulb and two dirty stinking apes to throw feces at each other. Eheheheehehheheheheheh."
ESO:French_Assailant
SilentScreams
Mortal
posted 20 July 2005 05:25 AM EDT (US)     6 / 8       
Skadi, yeah, I meant Skadi...

Good luck!

Kdude
Mortal
posted 20 July 2005 08:29 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8       
^^Might wanna edit that....

(Peter is surrounded by apes with guns in a net)
"Hey, hey, ok. How many dirty stinking apes does it take to screw in a light bulb? 3, one dirty stinking ape to screw in the lightbulb and two dirty stinking apes to throw feces at each other. Eheheheehehheheheheheh."
ESO:French_Assailant
Brtnboarder495
Mortal
posted 20 July 2005 05:01 PM EDT (US)     8 / 8       
Lol, yea. But what does work is FH'ing, and then throwing up at Hill fort and pump out 2 rams. muster as many units as you can (particularly infantry) and then destroy the enemies TC (also cast the freeze power to freeze any military. use your rams to destroy any nearby arrow towers or houses while your infantry capture the TC. I have'nt really used it alot, but if done correctly it can probably be effective. Just don't try this against eggies

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames