You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.62 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » The Most Likely Choice For Expansion Pack Civ(should there be one...)
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Most Likely Choice For Expansion Pack Civ(should there be one...)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
thawky
Mortal
posted 25 November 2001 10:09 PM EDT (US)         
Is the Persians. Not only do they fit the time period, but they were also the main enemies of the Greeks during their reign. It would be idea to match them up with the Greeks in the campaign as well. It could involve the battles of Salamis and Thermopolae as well as Marathon. Another part of the campaign could be Alexander the Great's invasion of parts of Persia...historically and in a game sense, it matches up very well, should there be an expansion pack. I don't normally like to theorize like this, but this big block of wisdom came down and hit me square in the head...I dunno, lemme hear your thoughts about this, it's just been eating at my mind for a day or two and I wanna hear what other people think about this.

thawky
I'm heaven sent...don't you dare forget.

My tongue's the only muscle on my body that works harder than my heart.

AuthorReplies:
A_Mighty_Pirate
Mortal
posted 25 November 2001 10:19 PM EDT (US)     1 / 62       
Good idea! Also, maybe make a civ of all the barbarian invaders, since they helped sack rome, like the visigoths, vandals, etc. The persians would be awesome! Maybe have a Hannibal campaign too, that would be fun! Good idea, thawk!

"When oppurtunity knocks, break the locks and rush the gates"
Greeks are gonna rock! Minotaurs + Hydras!

Reciever of the esteemed and highly coveted: "Bobby Bailey's Screwball Award"

Romans 12
IV1066
Mortal
posted 25 November 2001 10:34 PM EDT (US)     2 / 62       
Er... dudes, this is a mythology game. Which allows ES to choose whatever culture it wants, regardless of the historical context. I'm not sure at all what Persian mythology was like, I think they were Zoroastrians but I really don't know much of anything about that religion. Sure, all those civs are possibilites, I just think if you want to predict what the completely hypothetical X-pack civ(s?) are going to be you're better off looking at what mythology is coolest, not which fits in with the present civs best. Using your logic the Persians and Phoenecians would've been selected long before the Norse, since they interacted with the Greeks and Egpytians much more than the Norse did.

Based on their mythology, I'd love to see a Hindu civ, but due to the unfortunate realities of the situation I think the Assyrians or Aztecs are most likely.

mikey
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 01:16 AM EDT (US)     3 / 62       
Top idea. The persians did indeed worship mithras as their soldier god and i really want to him in there. I would also like to see the celts. They had a very interesting culture until the spread of christianity.

*is very careful to not pay out christians remembering what happened last time*.

The first casualty in war is the truth.

Alcohol is the cause and solution of all lifes problems. - Homer Simpson

History is always written by the victors

Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 01:35 AM EDT (US)     4 / 62       
I agree with IV, the civs ES choose have nothing to do with their historical content (see: Norse/Egyptian, Norse/Greek).
I'm sure that even if ES put the Persians in the game, they won't make a historically-based camapign, because it will be unrealistic (persian immortals fighting Cyclopes and Medusas...), and less interesting in a Mythology game.

Beside, the Assyrians fought with the Egyptians (battle of Carcamish[sp?]), so they have a "common historical background" (or whatever) as well.... and I'm sure more people are familiar with the mesopotamian mythology than the Persian mythology. The far-east mythology (Chinese/Korean/....) is also a very-possible option for the x-pack.

The reason I think the Persians will be cool for the X-pack is.... War elephants!

BTW, there are people who still believe in the Zoroastrian religion.

The Last Knight
Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect
DarkFlame
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 02:37 AM EDT (US)     5 / 62       
We don't even know if the campaigns will be part historically or not; anyway, the Persians or the Mesopotamian will be most likely included... TheShadowDawns idea of a far-east civ is an option too. We just don't know yet, we're just guessing here.

Ohmigod, fancy colour fading!
I blame these purple things.
GFWL: NilePenguin
Inca Lord
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 07:10 AM EDT (US)     6 / 62       
Aztecs should be in an entirely new game with the Mayans, Incas, etc... I think it would just be better that way.
Back to the original topic, the Persian's mythology is a bit obscure. Rome would make better sense except that it's just the same as the Greeks. African mythology would be cool but it's probably as obscure as you can get.
thawky
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 10:04 AM EDT (US)     7 / 62       
The civilizations are balanced historically though. It's not like ES just took the 3 cultures with the best mythology and said, "Let's make a game." Rather, they also chose ones that were involved with each other historically at some point. The Greeks were actually invaded by descendants of the Norse towards the beginning of their rule. They also had a lot of contact with Egyptians. The game is about more than matching up myths and such, it also has to flow historically, which is why I don't think the Mayans or Aztecs will be involved in an expansion pack.

thawky

David
HG Alumnus
posted 26 November 2001 11:33 AM EDT (US)     8 / 62       
I'd love to see the Celts. They seems to have a very intresting mythology.
Dont Tread On Me
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 12:35 PM EDT (US)     9 / 62       
How about the Christians? There is no sarcasm intended here, either.

"To live outside the law you must be honest" - Bob Dylan
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 01:12 PM EDT (US)     10 / 62       
Quote:
How about the Christians?

[sarcasm]yeah, ES really need extreme Christian groups banning their products and suicide-bombing on their building, just because Jesus was killed by a minotaur in one screenshot[/sarcasm]

The Last Knight
Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect

[This message has been edited by Last_Knight (edited 11-26-2001 @ 01:13 PM).]

AgeofMe
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 01:12 PM EDT (US)     11 / 62       
Christians,hmm, same time period, lots of battles with the Egyptians and Greeks, But ES defines mythology as "Religion that is dead, not practiced anymore. and obviously Christianity is still practiced. And putting Christianity in a game called "Age of Mythology" would anger alot of people, including myself.

You know that newbie you played who insisted
on Black Forest? Who dragged you out on a 6 hour
long game without once attacking?
Hi
Proud member of the FPH clan.
Proud Winner of Dare's first funny sig award.

[This message has been edited by AgeofMe (edited 11-26-2001 @ 01:13 PM).]

cow_gone_mad
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 01:37 PM EDT (US)     12 / 62       
come on guy i want borcs

moooooooooooooooooo

Ex-Preacher of the "CHAOTIC FUN". It ain't dead. Punk never died either.
From a country in "OLD Europe" and in line with Cuba and Libya!
Consequence: Is sun tanned. Drinks rum. Smokes Cigars. Is Polygam.
*loves RUMSFELD* Late Night Shows can concern themself with Politics now.
I hate NO ONE (Exception: my arch-enemy and angel Winston, whom I wish death each time i see his name), everything else is joking.
And Immortal of the Mageslair: http://www.mageslair.net
Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 01:41 PM EDT (US)     13 / 62       
My ideas:

1) Sumerians. Plenty of heros and monsters there.
2) Britons/Celts. The whole King Arthur/Pendragon thing.

"It may come as a shock to you . . . You can have fun and be serious all at the same time."
jduderocks
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 02:37 PM EDT (US)     14 / 62       
I think The Christians is a very bad idea, as they would not fit into the game at all as they were not warriors until the time of the crusaders and would offend many
people. But I think The Isrealites would be a great civ they'd
follow Yahweh,Jehovah or in other words God and would have various campaigns involving other civs eg the exodus from Egypt and the Maccabees with the greeks.

personally i hate the mayans and aztecs and hope they're
never included in a game EVER AGAIN they dont get cavalry
what a sad poor and pathetic civ they are

But the most likely civ they include will be something Asian eg chinese,Korean or Japanese and then if they include 2 (fingers crossed) The Assyro- Babylonians
I'd like the Persians but all you would play them for is
The War Elephant they dont i think have all that good a mythology either.

Dont Tread On Me
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 03:15 PM EDT (US)     15 / 62       
Ok, so the Christians might not be PC enough. Surely ES could pull off the Native Americans.

BTW: When are we going to see Age of Colonization (Revolution)? [Anyone here ever play the old Sid Mier game, Colonization?] I'm sure they could create some amazing Revolutionary War battle scenes with the new 3D engine.

"To live outside the law you must be honest" - Bob Dylan
Dare
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 04:13 PM EDT (US)     16 / 62       
Israelites? Are you crazy? Not only Jews (I am one myself) would ban it, Christians would to. And what kind of mythology would there be? Mytho units? Godpowers? Plus, I'm pretty sure they want to include cultures with polytheism, not monotheism.

Dare
HG Special Forces

Award I Give Out: Dare's Funny Sig Award
Azzie
Hero
(id: Aztec Emperor)
posted 26 November 2001 06:26 PM EDT (US)     17 / 62       
Er, Don't Tread on Me:

1. Christianity...in a Myth game? What would our Myth units be? James, John and Peter? Hellooo...
2. Christianity, Judiasim, Hinduisim, Budduhistisim and Native American religions are still kept, and thus out of the question. Besides, Christian/Jew religions wouldn't make an exciting game... no Myth units envolved what so ever. Btw: I'm a Christian, I'm not diss'n my religion, just saying it stinks for a Myth game

Celts rock!

edit:
thawky:

Quote:
Not only do they fit the time period
... uh huh... 4,000 BC to 700 AD Big time period... Romans, Carthaginians, Celts, Assyrians, & Mayans are also prime canadites then. No offense man, but there is no "time period"...the Egyptians never had contact with the Norse. they were on decline when they were just forming.

[This message has been edited by Aztec Emperor (edited 11-26-2001 @ 06:29 PM).]

Anubis1812
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 06:32 PM EDT (US)     18 / 62       
Yeah, i g2 agree with Aztec and Dare on this one (and lots others, their replies are the last ones i read). Let's keep the cultures mythological, not religous. Believe me, people get REALLY "piped up" when they THINK someone MIGHT be threatening their religon.
Theias
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 07:47 PM EDT (US)     19 / 62       
Actually if a religion is still practiced its not out of the question...if it was then there would be no norse....correct me if im wrong but the norse were pagan and there is still pagan people around
Ashur
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 08:04 PM EDT (US)     20 / 62       
1. Assryo-Babylonian
2. Mongol/Steppe
3. Mesoamerican
4. Celtic
alLan Mandragoran
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 08:50 PM EDT (US)     21 / 62       
i think we need more than one civ, just one wouldnt be enough for me. but since it seems they are adding so much detail that if they put more than one it would be like a whole new game since there are origninally 3.....

hmm the norse were pagan but i think that pagan is quite broad there are many pagan cultures.

i also think that if the put Israel n there ppl who folow Islam may become... angry but i dont think any of our religons would become violent over a game.

gone_postal
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 09:25 PM EDT (US)     22 / 62       
Putting a religion like Christianity, Judaism, or anything like that in the game would be good only for the shock value. I mean, seriously, ES'd lose so many buyers, it wouldn't be worth it. Anyway, it wouldn't even be fun or fit in with the game. For example, you couldn't pick a god at the beginning([sarcasm]"Okay, gamers, do you want to worship God, God, or God for this round?"[/sarcasm])

He kicked me in the back
when i wasn't looking,
so I kicked him twice in the face
when he was.

gone postal

thawky
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 09:46 PM EDT (US)     23 / 62       
Mayans should not be included if there's an expansion pack. They didn't even have the slightest bit of contact with any of the three cultures in the game, not to mention I couldn't imagine playing Mayans vs. Norse in a game that is based on reality, with myths built in. The game is not solely about the myths, it does have a basis in reality.

thawky

IV1066
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 10:07 PM EDT (US)     24 / 62       
Quote:
The game is not solely about the myths, it does have a basis in reality.

As did AoK, in fact in AoK it was markedly more realistic, yet we had the Japanese and the Persians and the Franks and the Aztecs. When did these 4 ever run into each other? Any mythology is fair game for AoM, so far as realism is concerned.

Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 10:58 PM EDT (US)     25 / 62       
Hmmm, kinda reminds me of this.

Ah, the memories.

"It may come as a shock to you . . . You can have fun and be serious all at the same time."
SoR_Anarchy
Mortal
posted 26 November 2001 11:14 PM EDT (US)     26 / 62       
Ah yes clar, you and me against eifer and the other evolutionist. Those were the good old days.

God Bless America.

I am the state.

Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 00:33 AM EDT (US)     27 / 62       
You ever make it over to OD?

Although now all the debates are shuttled over to the Library.

Dont Tread On Me
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 00:46 AM EDT (US)     28 / 62       
Ultimately this whole debate over whether monotheistic cultures could be integrated into the game boils down to politics and semantics.

In terms of gameplay I think Christians (and other monotheistic cultures, for that matter) would balance the game perfectly.

But Bruce is no fool. If there is an expansion you will see something from the Americas, something from Asia, and perhaps from the Middle East. Anything dealing with Africans, Native Americans, and any modern religions strictly ignored, for obvious reasons.

This is a game for the PC, is it not?

Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 01:39 AM EDT (US)     29 / 62       
Quote:
In terms of gameplay I think Christians (and other monotheistic cultures, for that matter) would balance the game perfectly.

My last response to this:

Despite the denonation of "myth," there are connotations of falsehood. If someone says "That fad diet is a myth" or "the Loch Ness Monster is a myth" or even "Global Warming is a myth" they do not mean that these things have heroes, deites, adventures, monsters, explain natural phenomena, etc. They mean that those things are false. Microsoft, like any other business, wants to appeal to the masses and knows that they would offend a lot of people by calling an active religion a myth. Hence, the Greek, Egyptian, and Norse. No one follows those religions any longer.

Secondly, the monotheistic nature of Christianity/Judaism lends to problems with the game format. There is no patheon of gods from which to choose, just one God. There are no mulititudes of temples to build, just one temple. There are no demi-gods or monsters (unless you count demons and angels, but the point is that there are no halfway beings between natural and supernatural.)

teutonicknight
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 01:53 AM EDT (US)     30 / 62       
Celtic or Persain would be a good choice

Copyright 2000-2002 teutonicknight LLC. All Rights Reserved.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames