You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Aphrodite or Apollo?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Aphrodite or Apollo?
TTK_GeneralNoob
Mortal
posted 12 December 2005 05:01 AM EDT (US)         
Are Aphrodites techs worth it? Is Curse worth it? (The underworld passage seems very much worth it in 2v2)

So who do you think it worth going?

AuthorReplies:
CoM_NiGhtMarE
Mortal
posted 12 December 2005 09:32 AM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
I also played hades, i would suggest you going by apolo if you're in a teamgame
however aphrodite is very usefull when it comes to farming (you got some eco upgrades when you choose him!) but still i would suggest upping via apollo cuz of the underworld passage + healing temple upgrade

Expect the unexpectable...
Ingame name = DoO_VonDutch / VonDutchXV
GLORYOFSPARTA
Seraph (in absentia)
posted 12 December 2005 10:44 AM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
Aphrodite is a female, for your information.

I'd go Apollo for the same reasons stated above in a Deathmatch game. Plus, Apollo gives you the nice archer technologies. But with Aphrodite's villager technologies you can quickly building push forward.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok

[This message has been edited by GloryofSparta (edited 12-12-2005 @ 10:45 AM).]

CoM_NiGhtMarE
Mortal
posted 12 December 2005 10:59 AM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
lol is she?
I knew it just forgot
well anyway it's just when i played hades i only choose aphrodite cuz of curse.. didn't even upgrade the techs!

Expect the unexpectable...
Ingame name = DoO_VonDutch / VonDutchXV
sdw12umdjc
Mortal
posted 12 December 2005 10:57 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
More often than not you should be choosing apollo to make your archers better and get the underworld passage. However, that doesn't mean aphrodite should never be chosen. It would be a wise choice if you need an economic boost or if you wish to go for a faster mythic time and an early titan. You may also benefit more from the lions than the manticore so you could chose aphrodite then as well.
TTK_GeneralNoob
Mortal
posted 13 December 2005 00:06 AM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Yeah, It is obvious which myth unit is better, but as for the techs, both are seem very worthwhile.
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 13 December 2005 03:09 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
I believe that in general, Aphrodite is better in 1v1 and Apollo in 2v2. In 2v2, the underworld passage is of great use while its value is existent but far lower in 1v1. Playing for an underworld passage to a free TC in the enemy rear land and then grasping that TC is a well-known standard tactics in AoM. I have been beaten several times by it when I was not yet used to it. But meanwhile, that tactics is what I expect when facing Hades, especially a Hades that goes Apollo, and sending my armies to my yet unclaimed TCs is the first thing I do when I hear him cast UP and do not see where it is. Of course I invest extra efforts in keeping reconnaissance at these TCs even before he does. Since then, I have rarely again been fooled by that tactics. To the contrary, my opp often enough found himself counter-fooled when his army and vills had popped out of the UP and be began to erect the TC only to suddenly find all his units frosted and then swamped by my army that quickly destroyed the UP and erected a couple towers in the area before he thawed.

Aphrodite has the better upgrades IMHO although many ppl believe that she makes their villagers get a faster gathering rate, which she does not.

Apollo's Sun Ray tech is far overestimated, IMHO. You got to always remember that this bonus is calculated on base stats. When you are in heroic age and have access to Apollo, you can already have medium archers, heavy archers, copper weapons, bronze weapons, and Hades innate bonus, totalling to +50% attack. Sun Ray takes you from 150% to 160%, which is a mere 6.7% improvement. As the game progresses into mythic age, you get access to even more regular upgrades, and the value of your Sun Ray drops even more. I often notice people getting all the myth upgrades for their units, but not caring to obtain any armory upgrade, which would often be cheaper and have the same effect for that particular unit but also affect all other human units of that player. This is not very smart IMHO. Sun Ray has the advantage of also affecting your centaurs, but Hades does not get these.

Moreover, I believe further strengthening your Hades archers by going for archer gods like Apollo and Artemis is not smart for another reason: You give your opponent only one unit type to counter. No matter what upgrades you research, you will never be able to make your archers better than his archer counters (with the possible exception of a Greek vs Greek matchup, in which your peltasts are better than his. Then again, if you go mass peltasts in reaction to his peltasts he can always add hipps and win.). If three of your four gods are archer gods (Hades, Apollo, Artemis), then your opponent knows he just needs to make archer counters and win. The reason is that your archers are your only good units. Your other unit types enjoy no godly bonuses and stink in comparison, while your enemy is more versatile, has perhaps one godly upgrade on his archer counters which would beat your archers anyway, but also has godly-improved units of other types.

That is also the reason why going for FU ulfs by Thor/Forseti/Bragi/Tyr is weak (as making lots of infantry hard counters will easily beat it).

Also remember that as described above, every additional weapon upgrade is less valuable than the previous percentage-wise, since those upgrades are always calculated on base damage. For that reason, an weapon upgrade for a non-archer unit is more valuable if your archers are already better.

The temple healing... I used to play Hades myself when I started with AoM years ago and liked the idea, but found myself rarely using it in my games. You seldom have a temple nearby and the time to park your units there and let them heal. Yes, it can be done, but having a way stronger economy by the hands of Aphrodite is way better. Remember that Hades is also a building god, and Aphrodite's faster building construction combines greatly with that (as you can get your forward fortresses up before the enemy can do anything about it). Having a Zeus-like bonus on favor generation while still being Hades is also great (although Zeus' bonus is higher).

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
TTK_GeneralNoob
Mortal
posted 13 December 2005 04:48 AM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
Another impressive posts D&P.

Actually going Ares helps your infantry out as well as your archers, so I guess that is one case that is justified to get a god so your archers are stronger.

I will also agree with the temple of healing, I have never used it, lol. So now I will try Aphrodite, but I guess Apollo in Team games.

I am guessing:

Ares > Aphrodite > Hephaestus

in 1v1. Thnx for the feedback!

[This message has been edited by TTK_GeneralNoob (edited 12-13-2005 @ 04:49 AM).]

DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 13 December 2005 05:08 AM EDT (US)     8 / 11       

Quoted from TTK_GeneralNoob:

Another impressive posts D&P.

Thank you.

Actually going Ares helps your infantry out as well as your archers, so I guess that is one case that is justified to get a god so your archers are stronger.

That is why I did not mention him although he also benefits your archers. I see no advantage in choosing Athena over Ares for a Hades player. But of course Ares means another 10% more firepower for your archers that you already have when you choose your heroic age subgod.

Ares > Aphrodite > Hephaestus

That is what I would do. Some people appear to think Hephaestus is not that great because all Greek gods can get him, but I think he is the best Greek mythic age god. He also gives an improvement to your gastraphetes that is really worthwhile and makes sure you get the remaining armory upgrades quickly (rather than having access to tons of upgrades but no money to actually obtain them).

The only downside of Hephaestus compared to Artemis is Hephaestus' inability to eradicate the enemy titan gate from the face of the world. This may justify Artemis in certain situations, but generally I believe Hephaestus is better. You can always use Gastraphetes with Beast Slayer And Weapons of the Titans against the enemy titan. You will have full armory upgrades and be in such a good situation economically that you may well be able to get a titan of your own first - or thoroughly crush your opponent while he makes his titan, gaining enough of an edge so that you can afford fighting and killing his titan when it is ready.

GLORYOFSPARTA
Seraph (in absentia)
posted 13 December 2005 05:38 AM EDT (US)     9 / 11       

Quote:

You can always use Gastraphetes with Beast Slayer And Weapons of the Titans against the enemy titan.

Yes. As Gastraphetes are the only ranged Greek unique unit with the anti-MU technology they do very well against Titans being surrounded by heroes and melee units.

Quote:

The only downside of Hephaestus compared to Artemis is Hephaestus' inability to eradicate the enemy titan gate from the face of the world.

Also, Chimerae beat Colossi one on one.

Quote:

Your other unit types enjoy no godly bonuses and stink in comparison

Not if you go through Ares and research his infantry technologies.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok

[This message has been edited by GloryofSparta (edited 12-13-2005 @ 05:43 AM).]

IceCreamDude
Mortal
posted 13 December 2005 07:01 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
IMO it depends on the situation of the game, as Hephaestus's eco atvantage is great in losing or equal situations but lacks Artemis's cutting edge to finish the enemy off.
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 14 December 2005 02:41 AM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
If Earthquake is all you need to finish him off, yes. But otherwise, I regard the Weapons of the Titans upgrade alone as a great cutting edge that can empower your gastraphetes to an decisive extent.

Of course you can as well erect a wonder, which you will complete far faster than your opponent thanks to your subgod Aphrodite...

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames