You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Buildings destroyed
Bottom
Topic Subject:Buildings destroyed
Jotun
Mortal
posted 11 December 2001 08:04 PM EDT (US)         
In AoK and AoE, when the buildings were being attacked by infantry, the building started on fire. This isn't very realistic.
I think that the buildings should crumble (like the walls do) when they get attacked by infantry or cavalry. They should start on fire only when an archer with a flaming arrow hits it or a seige weapon with a flaming rock hits it.
Then after it starts on fire, it slowly deteriorates as the fire spreads.
AuthorReplies:
Ace Cataphract
HG Alumnus
(id: Ace_Cataphract)
posted 11 December 2001 09:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
Same with the units if a flaming arrow hits a unit it should slowly lose HP until a priest heals it or it garrisons.

PS: dont forget torch units like tarkans for the building idea.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
Thunder
VIP BonusXP
posted 12 December 2001 02:22 AM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
The egyptian buildings probably wouldn't look right on fire, they should probably slowly crumble as walls do.

Norse buildings on the otherhand, would look spectacular on fire. If infantry used torches to destroy such buildings, that would look just amazing in a low light situation.

deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 12 December 2001 03:56 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
I'm sure that when two units hit each other 50 times and are still alive is realistic too.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
Kiramun_Katibun
Banned
posted 12 December 2001 06:16 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
hey hey

Deadly if your too realistic .. game will suck.. if your too unrelistic. game will suck gota keep balance

deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 12 December 2001 09:19 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
my statement was sarcastic, but thanks anyway

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
gone_postal
Mortal
posted 12 December 2001 10:06 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
Actually, units hitting each other quite a few time before dying isn't that unrealistic... I think its mean to represent units blocking and shielding themselves from hits. i dunno...

I agree that buidings should crumble and burn realistically.
That'd be awesome to see a fire giant attacking a burning norse barracks, and to finally see the barracks crumble into dust, with burning straw scattering to the wind

He kicked me in the back
when i wasn't looking,
so I kicked him twice in the face
when he was.

gone postal

Thunder
VIP BonusXP
posted 13 December 2001 05:01 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
Just had a thought, picture this:

Your army advances into an enemy town, but it looks like someone has already beaten you to the punch. Several Norse buildings are on fire, giving off a smoke that hangs in the air and drifts through the pillaged town.

...that would look pretty sweet in a scenario.

Unholy MonK
Mortal
posted 13 December 2001 06:07 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
I think the most unrealistic thing in AOK was paladins getting hit by two-tonne iron balls from bombard towers and riding off :P . But doing what Jotun sugests would be too hard...I think, and It wouldn't really add to gamepaly so I don't think theyll worry too much about it.

sex is not the answer, sex is the question, yes is the answer

[This message has been edited by Unholy MonK (edited 12-13-2001 @ 06:08 AM).]

Hamster Of Death
Mortal
posted 13 December 2001 05:54 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
I think spending a lot of time on building animations would certainly be cool, but to do so, they'd have to spend a lot of time on building animations, and they simply may not have that time.
Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 13 December 2001 06:34 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
Smokes that drift into the air around a pillaged town... that would be really neat! You know what would be really cool as a villager tech? Arsoning . Yep! Sneak a villager in and burn that town when your enemy is to busy farming or doing his things, hehehe.
bismark27511
Mortal
posted 14 December 2001 07:49 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
hey hey hey- the reason it takes so many hits, say from an arrow, to kill a person, is that each of the hits represents the missing, blocking, doging ect. In reality, it might take 1, maybe 2 arbal bolts to kill a man. but it is very hard to make the archer miss and inflict no dmg, then hit and do major dmg... as for the buildings, maybe the troops accidentally knock over a torch when they are killing it, making it burn... i dunno, it cant have complete realism

If u arent one of those scenario playin, black forest loving, drop-tricking, red ping, econ booming, WALLING, 0 gamer, WONDER BUILDING, incompleters, come to rated and we can have an AOE game like it is supposed to be played...
SoR_Anarchy
Mortal
posted 14 December 2001 07:00 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
I agree with most of the comments made. Thunder's point about egyptian buildings crumbling and norsing buildings starting on fire was great.

It would be cool if there clouds of dust rose up into the air after the building finally collapses.

God Bless America.

I am the state.

Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 14 December 2001 07:18 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
the more eyecandy, the better
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames