You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Use of Guard Unit/Patrol Area Command
Bottom
Topic Subject:Use of Guard Unit/Patrol Area Command
CrimsonBlade319
Mortal
posted 04 August 2006 11:53 PM EDT (US)         
These are two commands I have found highly interesting. The point of the patrol command is self explanatory and has many uses. Does anyone use it, and if so, how? Then there is the guard command. I'm not quite sure I see the point of it. True, you could use it to defend of SoO, or an oxcart, or a group of villies, but does anyone use it, and if so, how? I use the patrol command on the water either before they have a dock up so that I may take the dock out and control the battle, or after winning a water battle, so I can stop them from starting another battle/winning back the water.
AuthorReplies:
Wadinator
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 00:02 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
Honestly, I don't use these controls that much in rated games. Death and Pain suggested making your oxcart "guard" your gold vills so it could automatically follow them to the next gold mine. Like you said, I only really make good use of patrol on water maps. It is great for continuous scouting of the shoreline.

My Scenario: Battle Pit
There once were four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to do and Everybody was asked to do it. Everybody was sure Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody would not do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.
MR2 Pilot
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 09:41 AM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
Patrol is handy for scouting a couple of your opponents gold mines, or an area of the map where you expect a flanking attack to come through.

Another use for Guard is after you've taken down an opponent's TC, set 1 or 2 units to Guard it from being built on again (unless your building on it right away).

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Steve_the_Pirate
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 09:47 AM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
I use them when i play sims, but not in rated, in sims i have 10 guardians marching down every road. But this reminded me of Empire Earth, with the explore button. That is the lifesaver of mankind just make 4 canine scouts and hit explore.
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 10:44 AM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
I don't think you can use the guard order for an unclaimed settlement. There is no need for this anyway, as the settlement will not move away, so just placing your guard units there (with defensive stance) will do nicely.

Quoted from CrimsonBlade319:

The point of the patrol command is self explanatory and has many uses.

Has it? I see the point of patrolling the shore after winning the sea (and I sometimes do that myself), but I also had the impression that units under patrol order do not reliably attack enemy units that pass by. I am not sure though; this requires further research.

But the only other use of patrol is to have pegasi and the like patrol between two gold mines, especially when you are playing against a race that requires storehouses for mining. You can then keep two mines at which they are likely to start mining under constant observation. Even if your pegasus is not currently there, you can always see if he spotted a storehouse during his last run.

Other than that, the patrol command is useless, IMHO.

Quoted from Wadinator:

Death and Pain suggested making your oxcart "guard" your gold vills so it could automatically follow them to the next gold mine.

This is my main use for it, and an extremely useful one, as you can just waypoint your dwarves across several mines, and they will mine one after the other, their faithful ox cart always being with them. Similar for wood cutters (although the ox cart will allow some distance to grow before he eventually follows, but at least he does follow sooner or later, while without a guard command he will stand forever if you forget to check back manually).

Both this and the pegasus patrol requires a modified gamex.con or user.con file though.

Another use for the guard command that I sometimes use is setting a hersir on guard to the ox cart of my hunters or gold miners when I suspect my opponent to try a MU raid (sending a sphinx or something on an early raiding mission). The hunters will move on, and so will their hersir.

Other than that, I do not see any more uses for the guard order either.

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
GLORYOFSPARTA
Seraph (in absentia)
posted 05 August 2006 11:51 AM EDT (US)     5 / 6       

Quoted from DeathAndPain:

Both this and the pegasus patrol requires a modified gamex.con or user.con file though.

If you already have modded said files, would you possibly like to tell us as to what to edit? I think many of us would appreciate it...

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok
a_game_a_win
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 01:16 PM EDT (US)     6 / 6       

Quoted from CrimsonBlade319:

The point of the patrol command is self explanatory and has many uses. Does anyone use it, and if so, how?

I find it very useful. i use it alot vs. eggys when 2 gold mines are kinda close to their base. I just set my scout to patrol between the two and wait for them to come out to try mining and build miggy there. My army reaches them before any of that is possible

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames