You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Smurfs (What They Are and How to Stop Em)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Smurfs (What They Are and How to Stop Em)
CrimsonBlade319
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 00:01 AM EDT (US)         
It gets annoying when players like me, down at the 1590 area manage to get on a winning streak and make it somewhere only to be crushed by a smurf. We all know what they are, but how can we stop them from mopping the floor with us? I can understand creating a new account if your current one just sucks, but why not just be a man and play on one account if you are that high up? If you lose, that's just tough. Just because you want to keep your rating perfect doesn't mean you should go whip noobs to make yourself feel better. All a smurf is doing is doing to others what he doesn't want done to him. And I think I am finished for now, so have a nice day y'all.
AuthorReplies:
Totemkopf
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 00:08 AM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
The only way to stop a smurf is to get better at the game. If ES cared about this game then they could change the current system but they don't so they won't.

I do not suffer from insanity.
I enjoy it.
Kang_the_Mad
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 00:13 AM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
what if you want a new name?
CrimsonBlade319
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 00:18 AM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Lol, if you want a new name, fine, good for you. I really don't see a major point in that though. The first name you pick should be a name you are willing to stick with for a while. If you are low rating, go ahead. If you are getting made fun of, then you are either low rated and should make a new name, or you are high rated and can go an whip their asses.
Totemkopf
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 01:12 AM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
It's ok making a new account, but there is a self-rate function which people should use. If they purposfully set their rating to beginner or intermediate when they should be expert, then they are smurfing.

I enjoy it.
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 04:54 AM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Yet the self-rate function was introduced by ES to fix the smurfing problem, but they failed to achieve their goal, as the self-rating problem creates at least as much new problems as it solves. Purposeful smurfs can still smurf just as well, if not better.

But what is the system that ES should introduce? I see no chance to fix the smurfing problem, unless you limit the creatable number of accounts per CD key without an option to delete accounts. However, this would make the online option useless for internet cafes where you pay a buck and play an hour of AoM.

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
i r n00b
Banned
posted 05 August 2006 06:10 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
Smurfs at 1600?

Now I've seen everything.

cleasterwood
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 08:03 AM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
Smurfs-I thought those were little blue guys my kid watchs on TV, until I ran into one the other day. He had no problem telling me he was a smurf and then he quit and gave me a win. My scores (I have 2-One name for playing Eggi and one for norse) really stink so it really helped me that the person quit. I usually get stomped anyway.

Tickle the Muse within You!
MR2 Pilot
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 09:31 AM EDT (US)     8 / 11       

Quote:

Smurfs at 1600?
Now I've seen everything.

When a good player makes a new nick, it starts at 1600, thus a 1600 Smurf!

AoE3 allows only 1 nick per CD key, that's a PITA as well.

Maybe if a players rating was tied to their CD key, so a new nick would have the same rating as any others they have (on that particular CD key), multiplier players in the same home (same CD) would have a minor problem.

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Totemkopf
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 07:46 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
ES could make it more difficult to make new accounts, so people would be discouraged from doing so just to smurf. For example make it so that you need to validate your account with an email adress, like on forums. Or make it so you can only have 3 accounts per cd key/ip adress, but that you can change the names of the accounts aslong as the name isn't being used by someone else. Maybe internet cafes could apply to get more accounts or something...Or maybe ES could track accounts to cd keys, so it would say the players rating as well as the highest rated account on their computer and you could choose to face them or not. Obviously it wouldn't show the god of the person or the map when you choose to face them, to prevent people picking their battles.

I enjoy it.
Chimp With A Gun
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 08:23 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
or you can only 2 but to make more you need to del one.

Chimp with a gun
AKA
Desert fox
WAR DOESN'T DETERMINE WHO'S RIGHT,
ONLY WHO'S LEFT
Totemkopf
Mortal
posted 05 August 2006 09:40 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
If you could have two accounts but delete them to make more then people could just have on main account and one smurf account, and then delete the smurf account to make a new one when the rating got too high. That wouldn't solve anything.

I enjoy it.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames