You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Flaming Buildings
Bottom
Topic Subject:Flaming Buildings
Bishop
Mortal
posted 13 December 2001 07:13 AM EDT (US)         
ok, u all know how buildings that wre on fire in AoK just kinda sat there until u had the resources to fix it, right? well, in cossacks, the way they have flaming buildings is, as u leave the building with fire, the fire grows and grows until it has burn't to the ground... i think that is a great idea, it makes the game much more realistic.

ESO - GoT_DooBZ, Deak, Dex
MSN - jinxta@msn.com
Yahoo! - doobz_da_jinxta
[ Visit AoM Planet ]
[ Gods of Thunder :: GoT_ :: AoK and AoM ]
[ Gods of Thunder :: |G:o:T| :: MoHAA ]
AuthorReplies:
thawky
Mortal
posted 13 December 2001 07:23 AM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
I agree, and I've said this before, but buildings should also collapse differently depending on what is attacking them. If swords attack, it should slowly crumble away, if seige weapons attack, it should collapse on itself, etc...

thawky
I'm heaven sent...don't you dare forget.

My tongue's the only muscle on my body that works harder than my heart.

David
HG Alumnus
posted 13 December 2001 10:45 AM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
As the units are in 3d, it's much easier to give them multiple animations. Hopefully the buildings will be in 3d as well, and then perhaps this will be true for them as well?

[This message has been edited by David (edited 12-13-2001 @ 10:46 AM).]

Real
Mortal
posted 13 December 2001 11:27 AM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
I hope they'll burn down!
I hope they'll collapse in different ways!

Burnin' buildings for president!

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
Psychic Ostrich
Mortal
posted 13 December 2001 03:43 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
In Battle Realms (I havent got it but im planning to buy it or get it for christmas) there are lots of ways to effect buildings. One way is to is Fire(arrows, torches ect) and the flames slowly grow until they distroy the building. The only way to put them out is to throw water over the flames with villies, who get the water out of a stream or pool. The flames can also spread to other buildings.

I dont think Aom is that sort of game though.

SNIPPETS OF A CAFE CHAT:
Hey hi, damn, where is my... ...fridge, y'now, its been playing... ...with his nailclippers! I didnt know what to... ...weed, cos' i'm not a gardner, unlike Old... ...cushion, now it was... ...a bit soggy, with all his diarrhoea... ...experience with the theoretical side of... ...cats, oh they are doing... ...dancing with his best friend! now I would like to... ...grasp by the hilt you see? Anyway better be... ...going to lose his socks, silly... ...frog. Cya'...
Thunder
VIP BonusXP
posted 13 December 2001 05:00 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Which would you rather do. Put out fires and fix buildings, or concentrate on making the enemy pay in spades for attacking you?

The fun part for me is not in looking after my burning buildings, but in managing my army/attacking.

Hamster Of Death
Mortal
posted 13 December 2001 05:57 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
I think burning buildings could possibly be more susceptible to damage, but having them burn to ground is either going to be annoying or not enough of a problem to care about, like in Starcraft.
Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 13 December 2001 07:36 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
"The fun part for me is not in looking after my burning buildings, but in managing my army/attacking."

Here's a good point on what is important in a game. If I play Sim City I'll get lots of oportunity to manage my fire fighters. There's probably better ways to add features to an RTS game that require micromanagement than this. Especially since it's good to try to keeep the general amount of economical micromanagement down. It's more giving to manage your armies than to put out fires or see to that the sheep has fresh grass to chew on.

Unholy MonK
Mortal
posted 13 December 2001 08:38 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
I don't think it will add to the fun factor , so I highly doubt they'll make it like that.

sex is not the answer, sex is the question, yes is the answer
Ace Cataphract
HG Alumnus
(id: Ace_Cataphract)
posted 14 December 2001 11:06 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
Eh...The idea seemed good to me but then I considered the damage object trigger. It would be that much more complicated or it would only damage it one way.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
Thunder
VIP BonusXP
posted 15 December 2001 03:29 AM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
That reminds me. They tried this idea out in AOK and took it out after negative feedback from testers. I'm not sure they'd be trying that again.
bismark27511
Mortal
posted 15 December 2001 02:51 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
hey its a good idea, but a little too dificult to pull off. if u are worried about econ micromanaging (i dont kno why) then i wouldnt get to hooked on this idea... but, the idea about the buildings (and why not ships and units?) collapsing differently would be great. say for instance, if a spearmen dies on an archers arrow, then u see his corpse with bloody arrows poking out of it, or if it was a fire arrow, the man goes down burning... aom has gotta have better raze graphics, in both aoe and aok, it wasnt that cool

If u arent one of those scenario playin, black forest loving, drop-tricking, red ping, econ booming, WALLING, 0 gamer, WONDER BUILDING, incompleters, come to rated and we can have an AOE game like it is supposed to be played...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames