You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Caravan qeustion
Bottom
Topic Subject:Caravan qeustion
ElUsive_BoBass
Mortal
posted 03 September 2006 03:45 PM EDT (US)         
I was just wondering.. is it better to have a really long caravan or a shorter one? cause if it's shorter you get in quicker but not as much is carried by caravans. soooo should I make longer or shorter trade routes. thx for your time
AuthorReplies:
Pdroo
Banned
posted 03 September 2006 03:51 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
Longer but with many animals so that u receive gold constantly. when u reach mythic upgrade with whatever that thing is called so that they travel faster...
a_game_a_win
Mortal
posted 03 September 2006 04:48 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
IMO you should always go for a long trade route. The only viable reason to go short route is if you need gold fast. You build a 30-40 gold per caravan (GPC) route and you don't have to wait forever for your caravan to walk all the way across the map to drop off the gold. Instead, you should build 2-3 markets and AQ caravans out of them on a 90+ GPC route. You should only be having gold problems late game, so your econ should be able to handle it.
MR2 Pilot
Mortal
posted 03 September 2006 05:11 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
In team games you get a bonus sending your caravans to a team mates TC.

I usually send some caravans to each of a few different TC's, different distances, that way the gold flow is more so even.

If you only have 1 Market and an opponent destroys it, your gold flow dies with it. If you have more than 1, then your caravans will simply go to another.

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Bloodshedder
Mortal
posted 04 September 2006 10:23 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
i just dedicate a corner of the map mainly to markets so i can get lots of camels fast and have back up mnarkets...a few military buildings there too.
Anastasoulis
Mortal
posted 05 September 2006 02:18 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
You can find much info on the market subject if you do a search of the threads.
Anyways, it's determined that the longer the route, the more gold per trip and that there's a bonus X2 when trading with an ally's TC.
So use the corner of your side of the map and have 12-15 trade animals at least do the trading, plus -if you're Eggie- you can have a Pharaoh empower the market and thus get more gold out of it.

regards

the Elder
"imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein
MagmaLord
Mortal
(id: darkdude)
posted 05 September 2006 04:39 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       

Quote:

bonus X2 when trading with an ally's TC

It's 1.5

DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 06 September 2006 02:29 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
Hm, I have not tested it in detail, but with an excellent trading distance I can get like 130 gold/caravan in rated matches. In team games, 300+ gold per caravan are possible. Of course it may be that the maps are larger in the latter cases, but my impression is that the bonus is at least 2x.

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
AdZyZ
Mortal
posted 06 September 2006 06:19 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
I believe I've seen amounts in the 400's on large, 3v3 maps.

Basically,
Make the trade route as long as possible, and build at least 2 markets just incase.

-[Hello..
resix
Mortal
posted 06 September 2006 03:20 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
My strat...

3 markets in a cluster W/ walls - gate and towers.

about a 30 gold per trip route lined with towers every 2 arrowshots apart so no area is unprotected, and about 50 caravans :P

It may SEEM like a lot of pop space but think of it this way... upgrades+better units > more units

Life is great, stop ruining it ~
MagmaLord
Mortal
(id: darkdude)
posted 06 September 2006 05:07 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
On the charts it gives the expression which describes the gold amount/route length and said that if you trade with an ally you get x1.5.

DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 07 September 2006 03:05 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
Would not be the first time that the charts are wrong. There is no alternative to testing yourself if you want to know the truth.

Quoted from resix:

3 markets in a cluster W/ walls - gate and towers.

about a 30 gold per trip route lined with towers every 2 arrowshots apart so no area is unprotected, and about 50 caravans :P

It may SEEM like a lot of pop space

As well as a huge amount of money for all the towers and caravans, money that your opponent used to claim vital spots on the map, gain map control, and win the game.

Quoted from resix:

upgrades+better units > more units

Nope. Numbers > Upgrades.

But that is not the question here anyway. The question is whether it is wise to set up a short and crappy trading route with huge resource investitions and compensate for the low income per caravan with using tons of caravans that consume 50 pop space, or if it is better to set up a long and decent trading route, save the money on the fortifications (perhaps securing it with a few walls so that it is not too simple for the enemy to walk in there), earn more gold with far less caravans, and have the numbers and the upgrades for your military, the only tradeoff being that you may have to defend your trading route using your better military if (if!) it gets attacked.

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
G1ggy
Mortal
posted 08 September 2006 02:27 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
I think you should have both short and long. One market on the other side of the map, one just a few screens away. This way, you get gold often, and occasionally you get a huge helping.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames