You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.31 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Playing Online for the first time...
Bottom
Topic Subject:Playing Online for the first time...
AARONHOPPERAGE2X
Mortal
posted 15 July 2007 02:36 PM EDT (US)         
Hi,

I just got an AOM ESO account, and am probably going to play my first game very soon.

I've played about 400 or so AOE3 games on ESO, so I know some things about the whole idea.

I was wondering if there are some big deal things I should know before starting. (For instance, on AOE3, you need to know which civs are good, and it's important to know that ships cause lag,etc.)

What sort of real stand-out things should I know about online play for Age of Mythology?

Thx a lot. (BTW, I don't have the Titans expansion, so I mean the "vanilla" version)

I am a loser. But, aye, thou art more of a loser than I. Eye that for a time and ponder it touroughly.

[This message has been edited by AARONHOPPERAGE2X (edited 07-15-2007 @ 02:39 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Aksel II
Mortal
posted 15 July 2007 03:15 PM EDT (US)     1 / 31       
before going on-line u should get the titans expansion - lol - it makes it so much better!
Squeoo
Mortal
posted 15 July 2007 03:40 PM EDT (US)     2 / 31       
3 different faiths.

3 different major gods for each.

12 different minor gods for each

each faith has its own playing style.

each major god has its own strengths and weaknesses, and individual god path (look at bottom for example).

each minor god has its own strengths it brings to the game, and their own god powers.

god path example:

God A:
Classical: Minor God 1 or 2
Heroic: Minor God 1 or 2
Mythic: Minor God 1 or 2

God B:
Classical: Minor God 1 or 3
Heroic: Minor God 2 or 3
Mythic: Minor God 1 or 3

God C:
Classical: Minor God 2 or 3
Heroic: Minor God 1 or 3
Mythic: Minor God 2 or 3

so basically, it spreads them out so they all have similar, yet different playing styles.
LightmareNikita
Banned
posted 15 July 2007 04:49 PM EDT (US)     3 / 31       
1. Tornado Causes Lagg
2. Poseidon OWNS ALL
Paperfriend
Mortal
posted 15 July 2007 05:45 PM EDT (US)     4 / 31       
1. Tornado Causes Lagg
Never for me :/
2. Poseidon OWNS ALL
Never for me :/
Or my opponent :/

In general, the most important thing is to watch the tutorial cinematics, and just try a few matches.
Alls civs and gods have their own way to play, and own units. The general rule is that Infantry > Cavalry > Archers > Infantry, but also read the unit descriptions: Some units have a bonus vs. certain types of units.
Have fun, and come back here if you have any questions

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
No matter what you say
Squeoo
Mortal
posted 15 July 2007 05:48 PM EDT (US)     5 / 31       
lightmare, you wonder why everyone screams at you that zeus>possy... but maybe its because in every thread regardless of what its about you try to make possy sound OP.

norse - fight it out

eggy - go to heroic and make elephants.

greek - balance your checkbook, while watching television, while reading your mail, while talking on the phone, and still winning due to severe OPness (OP means overpowered)
yoma
Banned
posted 15 July 2007 06:37 PM EDT (US)     6 / 31       
YAY SQUEOO!

EDIT: The heroic ranged siege and the OP tox make them definelty OP.

Hades is even more OP, cause it is impossbile to kill his buildings. and even more impossbile to kill his ranged siege and tox, sitting under building fire.

[This message has been edited by Yoma (edited 07-15-2007 @ 06:39 PM).]

AARONHOPPERAGE2X
Mortal
posted 15 July 2007 07:44 PM EDT (US)     7 / 31       
Right now I keep getting an error message "Your cd key cannot currently be validated. Come back in a few minutes."

It worked the first time,now it won't work. It's a legitimate key, I got the game for Christmas still in the packaging.

A lot of that stuff I know or it makes sense, either do to playing offline or my history with AOE.... including what OP means.

I am surprised to hear that Greek are the ones that are called OP. Cool. I would've guessed Egyptians, cuz Greek villagers on Temple instead of on resources sounds a lot like a thing certain natives in AOE3: the War Chiefs have to do that makes them UP. LOL

(Although offline it did seem like Zeus' medusas owned everything...)

So, Greek, huh? Hmmm.... the most boring ones are the OP ones again.... why does it always work that way. LOL

So.... how come Zeus and Posieden (sp?) are better than Hades? Or are they?
EDIT: Sorry, Yoma, i missed your statement on the subject.

How are the Norse? Offline they seem really hard because of the fighting for favor thing....

I always liked Egyptians

Anyhow that's all rambling... thx for the info guys...

I was wondering, I haven't really paid attention, but is there a villager limit on this game? If not, where should one stop when creating them?

'

I am a loser. But, aye, thou art more of a loser than I. Eye that for a time and ponder it touroughly.

[This message has been edited by AARONHOPPERAGE2X (edited 07-15-2007 @ 07:47 PM).]

Paperfriend
Mortal
posted 15 July 2007 07:57 PM EDT (US)     8 / 31       
Do you have an ubisoft copy of the game? That could be your problem.

About Greeks being overpowered:
Well not really, in vanilla the four great gods are Poseidon, Isis, Set and Thor.

Vanilla is pretty balanced in that respect, each civ has at least one OP god

You will learn how to play and see how the games works by just playing, we could just keep spamming information, but that wouldn't help you at all.

P.S: In Titans, Zeus > Poseidon, and some people always have trouble keeping the games apart, so try to always make it clear that you play vanilla

No matter what you say

[This message has been edited by Paperfriend (edited 07-15-2007 @ 08:01 PM).]

Phaethon180
Mortal
posted 15 July 2007 08:13 PM EDT (US)     9 / 31       
One thing that stands out:

Age of Mythology and The Titans (both) have more reliance on resources than AOE III. Be warned. Atlanteans have easiest micro through villies, as other civs do not have very easy micro of villies.

ONE THING:

RESOURCE HEAVY

The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses
behind the lines,
in the gym,
and out there on the road,
long before I dance under those lights.
a_game_a_win
Mortal
posted 15 July 2007 08:17 PM EDT (US)     10 / 31       
Actually, tbh Poseidon owns hard in vanilla since it is so much of calvary wars.

So, what made you switch from AoE3? I just couldn't stand the lag even though I have everything set to low. Even the water battles were torture. Btw, I have everything max-graphics wise- in AoM and with only a stock video card, it runs fine.
Shanks13
Rogue Agent
posted 15 July 2007 09:05 PM EDT (US)     11 / 31       
I'd get titans if you can, it is more fun. Otherwise, you should be OK with it. Since you are coming from AoE3, it may be easier/harder for you. You don't have to deal with homecity stuff, but it is far more econ-intensive. TCs are also preset and are of great importance.

lokiodin
Mortal
posted 15 July 2007 10:21 PM EDT (US)     12 / 31       
I really like AoE3 because it is just so fun! I know that the water battles take forever (I try to move the map off of them when I play them), but other than that, I loved it. I thought that the storyline was strong, the game was fun, and the home city was a great idea!
Rohirim
Mortal
posted 16 July 2007 01:26 PM EDT (US)     13 / 31       
greek is so OP, they dominate top 20 zomg

rooks...
AARONHOPPERAGE2X
Mortal
posted 16 July 2007 02:56 PM EDT (US)     14 / 31       
I haven't "switched". I'm still playing some AOE3, but I decided to try out some AOM.

I got two online games in... lost both but did pretty well. The first game i played was 6 players and i was doing second best, but one enemy mowed us all.... one of my allies said to me, just before the game ended.... "How do you get soldiers?"

I read the "noobie guide" or whatever it's called and I was shocked to see the suggestion of 35-45 villagers! Quite a difference from AOE3, and actually, a pleasant surprise. Yes, having to go back to using drop-off sites again is a little disturbing... (but hey, at least you don't have to spend the entire game doing nothing but building villagers like on there.)

I think in the long run, this game may turn out to be easier for me than AOE3 just because of not having to build as many villagers.... but yes, they do require more attention....

We'll see... I'll play both games and see what happens.

But yeah 90% of the time, I get that error message. I really don't know where it was bought, as it was a Christmas gift. But it doesn't say anything about Ubisoft on it.... and it has now worked online twice.... but usually it gives me that error message.

Thx for the info on what gods are good. I needed that a lot.

Shanks13
Rogue Agent
posted 16 July 2007 03:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 31       
35 to 45 villies? Maybe for the first portion of time, but otherwise, count on many more. Another reason to get Titans, the AQ button. (It automatically makes a set unit)

You will likely need a lot more, especially later. If you do a rush and win in the first 10 minutes, then it is of no consequence, but otherwise...

In longer games, you can have fishing ships, caravans, and villagers, which adds up to a lot of civilian units.

GreenLiquid
Mortal
(id: gummyWorm)
posted 16 July 2007 03:32 PM EDT (US)     16 / 31       
Here's one good piece of advice. Never enter '999' into your chat. Also, and this is commonly overlooked, you can use /name where 'name' is someone's ESO username to whisper ingame.
Wipeout_Giver
Mortal
posted 16 July 2007 04:09 PM EDT (US)     17 / 31       
Also if you have IE7 installled & get a "failed to upload stats to server" message, you'll need to install a patch. Its a sticky at the top of this forum. I'm not sure if this is an issue for vanilla but it is for Titans . . .

Oh yes and rated games are only on quick search not advanced setup.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(" )_(" )
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

[This message has been edited by Wipeout_Giver (edited 07-16-2007 @ 04:10 PM).]

AARONHOPPERAGE2X
Mortal
posted 16 July 2007 04:50 PM EDT (US)     18 / 31       
K.That noobie guide or whatever said that about the villagers... so I didn't make that up.

That's weird that advanced setup doesn't rate games. That's kinda sad.

I do get that stat error message....provided I actually get online and don't get the other error message first. LOL

What do u suggest for villagers then?(it seems like too many wouldn't make sense later game sense there's no gold anywhere later on.... (or even much wood for that matter)(unless I'm just playing lousy maps)

Phaethon180
Mortal
posted 16 July 2007 09:09 PM EDT (US)     19 / 31       
35-45 villies is fine depending on game length. If the game goes for like an hour, though, you need like 90 villies.

The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses
behind the lines,
in the gym,
and out there on the road,
long before I dance under those lights.
AARONHOPPERAGE2X
Mortal
posted 16 July 2007 09:22 PM EDT (US)     20 / 31       
Doesn't it depend severely on how many settlements you get?

I played my first rated game. Very strange.... I got to Age2 before my enemy and then he just resigned immediately after i got to age 2. Weird. So, I'm 1-0. LOL

Paperfriend
Mortal
posted 17 July 2007 05:38 AM EDT (US)     21 / 31       
That's what happens in the 1400 range
That's weird that advanced setup doesn't rate games. That's kinda sad.
Not at all, you don't get all those people in advanced setup preying on the weak, since you are forced to use quick search, you can actually find games that way.

No matter what you say
Lord_Richjp
Mortal
posted 17 July 2007 11:29 AM EDT (US)     22 / 31       
I've just come from AOE3 aswell, and want to know if it is possible to show;

Score?
Timer?
Gatherers per resource?
And something I may just have missed... What ways are there for showing if vills are idle?

Also, what strats are most common, and what are common age up times?

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
Shanks13
Rogue Agent
posted 17 July 2007 11:56 AM EDT (US)     23 / 31       
OK Lord Rich.

To display score and timer, the keys are the same as in AoE 3. F4 for score and F11 for timer. To find gatherers per resource you can mouse over the resource icon and it should tell you what you have on it. To find idle villies, a banner should appear in the middle upper right. Or you could just hit the '.' to find idle vills.

Common age ups are anywhere from around three minutes (for a Krush), to about six minutes in preparation for a fast heroic. Heroic times are usually around ten minutes, unless you are going fast heroic/mythic, in which case they are faster. Mythic is anywhere from early on to late game, depending on the circumstances.

Common Strategies: Fast Heroic, Fast Mythic, Krush, Varieties of Raiding, Unit Spams, etc. It is quite god-specific.

a_game_a_win
Mortal
posted 17 July 2007 12:08 PM EDT (US)     24 / 31       
If the game goes for like an hour, though, you need like 90 villies.
wtf, no. You can't even get 90 villagers and by 45min, at the most, you should already have at least 10+ trade caravans so you don't need as many gold villagers.

Common classical advance time: 5:30

Heroic:12-16 min

Mythic: 18-22min

[This message has been edited by a_game_a_win (edited 07-17-2007 @ 12:15 PM).]

Potato_Monkey
Mortal
posted 17 July 2007 01:43 PM EDT (US)     25 / 31       
MIRROR TOWERS R LAGGY & so are extra archer arrows.
AARONHOPPERAGE2X
Mortal
posted 17 July 2007 05:22 PM EDT (US)     26 / 31       
"The 1400 level." LOL

Not that low.... hehe

Hey if he wants to resign and give me the win, I'm not complaining.... Just seems silly on his part.

DragonQ
SC2H Seraph
posted 17 July 2007 05:46 PM EDT (US)     27 / 31       
Common classical advance time: 5:30
If you go to the summary stats on ESO, the average Classical time is actually a little over 6:00
SSJVegetaTrunks
Mortal
posted 17 July 2007 07:00 PM EDT (US)     28 / 31       
It all depends on your strategy.
a_game_a_win
Mortal
posted 17 July 2007 10:02 PM EDT (US)     29 / 31       
I know, but thats cause of all the eggy/noobs. I see a 5:00-5:45 8/10 games
yoma
Banned
posted 18 July 2007 04:08 AM EDT (US)     30 / 31       
SSJVegetatrunks, what is ur eso name these days? i havent seen u on in a while.
Black_Oni
Mortal
posted 18 July 2007 04:25 AM EDT (US)     31 / 31       
wen you are doing rated games always scout especially when versing loki because of the ever popular loki rush also when i vs greek they usually use hippokins/toxotes

My first Kronos games I played on ESO Mid 2007.
Kronos(me) vs Possy~1600 to 1621 - Failed Raid Good Titan Recovery
Kronos(me) vs Kronos~1621 to 1636 - Very Awesome Successful Krush
Kronos(me) vs Loki~1636 to 1652 - Failed Krush Great Recovery
Member Since - 04-16-2007
Main ESO Names - RmC_Avatar, neva_wins, Norrin Radd
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames