You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Are Slingers the best way to counter turma in Classical?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Are Slingers the best way to counter turma in Classical?
IamGodric
Mortal
posted 18 July 2007 11:59 PM EDT (US)         
I am a Set player, and just wanted to know the best classical counter to turma because I am unsure of bonus's to units from other units. I did some testing and Set slingers will die easily to turma even with medium upgrade and electrum bullets. Heard a long time ago that spearman, ulfs, hops, and murms got a little bonus to them in one of the first patches for TT...anyways, what is better to fight in CLASSICAL against turma (slings or spears)? Do not tell me to go heroic because thats not what I am asking.

Godric
AuthorReplies:
Squeoo
Mortal
posted 19 July 2007 00:17 AM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
priests and/or spearmen.

spearmen>>>>All classical fight wise (other than greek) so def. not a bad choice.
IamGodric
Mortal
posted 19 July 2007 00:24 AM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
Are you sure? Spearmen don't even counter their counters well unless properly upgraded...plus they have to be right next to the turma to attack them, and with cheiros behind them the spears will die before they do much right? Slingers at least outrange the turma and make them come in close, hopefully keeping the atty player at bay for a short while. Also spears cannot catch the turma, whereas for the turma to damage slings they must get within the slings 16 range, to the 12 range of turma.

[This message has been edited by IamGodric (edited 07-19-2007 @ 00:27 AM).]

Squeoo
Mortal
posted 19 July 2007 00:27 AM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
cheiros are very innacurate, but it is true that they are good against atty classical.

however, if you are fighting atty classical through either anubis or bast, you have anubites or sphinx for those pesky cheiros.

however, if you have a couple spare vils they get a very VERY lucrative bonus on the cheiros. quite nice *does thumbs up*
IamGodric
Mortal
posted 19 July 2007 00:30 AM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
I play Set so I don't get Bast, but I see what you are saying. And I almost always go Ptah to fit my game style, so would it perhaps be wise to invest heavier in Wadjets and maybe some animals for a slight meat shield?
Squeoo
Mortal
posted 19 July 2007 00:36 AM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
animals...

hyenas vs. cheiro good.
IamGodric
Mortal
posted 19 July 2007 00:37 AM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
Ok, thanks for your help sir.
Squeoo
Mortal
posted 19 July 2007 00:40 AM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
haha its no problem, but i don't need to be a sir.

i'm a 17 year old high school senior whos probably not too much better at the game than you are, if any.

so its fine.

anytime u want to practice, add squeoo to your buddy list.

its my practice account that i tend do do funky strats (thats my trademark... if the idea makes no sense whatsoever, then yep, i've tried it) on, so my rating doesn't look too oh wow-ish, but doesn't change that i can maybe help u out a bit.
IamGodric
Mortal
posted 19 July 2007 00:44 AM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
Haha, well sorry "kid" :P Whats your rr? A buddy of mine and I are looking for a solid third player for 3v3, I am almost always 1700 or so 1v1, and my bud is not very good 1v1, but much better than me at 3v3, and our third just quit the game so...if you are any good at 3v3 It would be nice to play with you.
Squeoo
Mortal
posted 19 July 2007 01:09 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
idk y, but on 2 v 2 i always play at like 1750 level!!!! lol i start doing seriously uber and taking on 2 on 1, but on 1 v 1 i'm stuck at 1680-1720 normally... well thats when i'm trying, when not trying and pushing random all (which i often get stuck with ra, 1 of the only 2 gods i can't play) I stay at about a 1580-1650 (depends how much i'm watching t.v. talking on the phone and listening to music).

3 v 3 i do decent... i have this weird thing where if one of my teammates is faltering, i start playing better and being able to 2 on 1 through like 80% the game while still doing great, but if both my teammates are good i start playing awful.
IamGodric
Mortal
posted 19 July 2007 01:14 AM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
Haha, well my team was pretty good, we didn't lose much, unless we played against some of our XpT buddies (we used to be XpT). Just let me know, I'm sure I'll see ya online
Salient
Mortal
posted 19 July 2007 01:42 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
Slingers are good because you should save your food so you can get heroic in decent time. Maybe make a few spears at first since they train fast and can chase away turma. Then go heavy on slingers. Make some priests for Proms. Make walls to stop raiding and to protect your free towers. A couple wadjats will make a big difference, so make sure you get them. Also get your upgrades (especially electrum bullets and Slingers of the Sun).

[This message has been edited by Salient (edited 07-19-2007 @ 01:43 AM).]

AdZyZ
Mortal
posted 19 July 2007 07:46 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
Always focus on primarily spearmen to counter turma in classical. They are relatively fast, and turma do not get a damage bonus vs spearmen. Plus, the spearmen get bonus damage vs turma, and they also have decent pierce armour for a classical unit.

An atty player's only hard counter to spearmen in classical is the slow training, inaccurate and expensive cheiroballista. These are easily countered by any MU you have, but will often not come into play.

Spearmen should/can be used as a defense against turma raid while you go to heroic.

-[Hello..
yoma
Banned
posted 19 July 2007 09:47 AM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
oh, add me, DDK_deeeeeman or

btw, 1v1 slings lose to turma, but slings have more range (i think), so, u might have the advantage.

in theory, spears should counter the whole atty classical, but ungraded spears suck to hell..........

go FH for CA and elies, and pray that u won't have gotten beaten by then.....

classical fight is underrated, and is about as powerful as the norse one.

*braces for flame*

EDIT: sorry about the thing about fh, i often never read the poster's whole post, just like the first 2 lines......

[This message has been edited by Yoma (edited 07-19-2007 @ 12:22 PM).]

DragonQ
SC2H Seraph
posted 19 July 2007 11:18 AM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
Spearmen and Slingers combined is the best way to counter massed Turmas. This is because, yes, Slingers are slightly weaker than Turmas, but they have 4 more range, so if you can trap the Turmas with your Spearmen and then back off your slingers so they're at maximum range, the Turmas will fall fast.

Remember also that since either the 1.01 or 1.02 patch, Spearmen get a 25% damage bonus against Turmas (Hoplites, Ulfsarks and Murmillo get a 50% damage bonus).
yoma
Banned
posted 19 July 2007 11:49 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
ok, i figured it out.

all turma<axes+slings
all turma<spears+slings
all turma>slings

so get a meatshield of whatever u can and own the atty if he makes pure turma.
Squeoo
Mortal
posted 19 July 2007 12:05 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
you guys should read, he said NOT TO SUGGEST GOING FAST HEROIC he wanted to know how to learn to classical fight..

just thought i'd point that out.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames